Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Stop Overreacting

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Stop Overreacting

Immediately following the game, it seems like everyone was talking about the next head coach, quarterback and GM of the Redskins.

I'd just like to suggest that the reason we lost the game Sunday was because of this type of overreaction coming from team management (Snyder).

For years, Snyder has been a typical fan - reactive. His track record of trading draft picks, firing coaches every year or so, and bringing in aging free agents are all what happens when a fan becomes an owner.

Thankfully, it seems like after years of overreacting, the owner has started to become more forward-looking (slightly) and put a strategy in place that will put the Redskins on the right path in the long-term - focusing on building through the draft and finding proven players in free agency who are at their prime.

I think it is time for everyone to step back and take a collective breath. On Sunday, the Redskins played a team that may have not been significantly more athletic but played and functioned as a unit that has been together for years. The reason the Giants are such a fantastic team in fact is because of continuity and good coaching -

I think the verdict is still out on whether or not we have the latter but if the Redskins continue to react year-in and year-out they will surely never have the former and never be the type of team we all want.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
wilsowilso

Re: Stop Overreacting

I will be trying to take this approach as long as we start throwing the ball to the #2 receiver(whoever that ends up being) much much much much much more.

Zorn keeps saying they doubled Santana... they brought the safety over.

I was begging a reporter to ask if that means that the #2 was incapable of beating single coverage and if so why? Why did they throw to the #2 outside receiver one time in the game?

Please explain this to us coach?
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Drift, you make a good point.

I've stopped coming on here during or immediately after a game as I'm far too emotional post-loss.

We should see the other side of the Redskins next Sunday when we play the Rams.

If we can run a 5 TD score and hold them out of the end zone it'll be a great statement. I am certainly expecting better from this squad and an early loss to a Giants team may be what they need to give them (and some of us) a reality check.

p.s. I've also given up drinking Vodka, Red Bull and Mountain Dew during the games too.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Drift, you make a good point.

I've stopped coming on here during or immediately after a game as I'm far too emotional post-loss.

We should see the other side of the Redskins next Sunday when we play the Rams.

If we can run a 5 TD score and hold them out of the end zone it'll be a great statement. I am certainly expecting better from this squad and an early loss to a Giants team may be what they need to give them (and some of us) a reality check.

p.s. I've also given up drinking Vodka, Red Bull and Mountain Dew during the games too.
The STL game will be telling - if they lose to STL (which is always a possibility) then I do think it is worth talking about Zorn.

I honestly think that in the past year, the GM has done a good job getting talented players into Washington and I think most insiders would agree that even though Cerrato still gets hosed on a deal here and there, the Redskins are a talented team.

I also think all the critique of Campbell is really unwarranted. He is never going to be an elite quarterback but I think he can certainly be a Brad Johnson (in his prime) type of quarterback who can be a quarterback on a super bowl team as long as he has all the complimentary pieces. The problem with getting rid of Campbell is that the search for an elite quarterback is sort of like a holy grail. There are less than five truly elite quarterbacks in the league.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

I think DFI was kind of saying the same thing in his thread........I love this board in the off season but........

We feel you though.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
I think DFI was kind of saying the same thing in his thread........I love this board in the off season but........

We feel you though.
It's really disconcerting to hear people say they love a Redskins board in the off-season. That's like saying I love the city of New York....when I'm in Chicago
Old 09-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's really disconcerting to hear people say they love a Redskins board in the off-season. That's like saying I love the city of New York....when I'm in Chicago
I was going to say that when he posted, now you said it for me.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I don't see how it's overreacting? A loss is a loss. No more excuses. I'm not overreacting. My football team is underperforming.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

i agree about the overreacting part but in order to become a superbowl contender we must place focus on the trenches. O-line play and d-line play it's plain and simple, the teams that have these are in the running every year. Now what sense doesn't it make to draft let's say Colt McCoy if he will eventually have the same protection breakdown. Did you see how many times Blache blitzed Eli but they only got to him twice, and one causing a fumble. I would love that ratio to be in our favor, but when we can't hand the ball off to Portis without Tuck & company on him instantly. Basicially, the giants pick up the blitz better and puts more pressure on the QB then we do (ala the Pats & Colts).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Yes it is won in the trenches. I don't think we are that bad of a team. I just think that the Giants o-line and d-line were SUPERIOR. You have a constant rotation of 4 pro bowl caliber ends. Our O-line can handle some things but not that. They did okay. But giving up 3 sacks is not good. The D-line. Had a little more push. But we need some sacks. We need to put some of these young boys on the D-line and let them go at it. Makes more sense. Orakpo/Jarmon vs Daniels/Wynn.

Oh my bad Daniels and Wynn are more for stopping the run..

Think about it. The vigorous challenges of being in the trenches. I would want a young person with a lot of energy. Plus Phillips and Carter are pretty slow when RBs come of the edge. But people might say. They are playing because of experieince. Well we need results. They have been with this team for years and haven't done squat. Experieince doesn't help when your tired too old or too slow. This is football not shuffle board.

I am beginning to lose fatih in Blache. Truly. Does he know what he is doing?
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
Njall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Reality View Post
Immediately following the game, it seems like everyone was talking about the next head coach, quarterback and GM of the Redskins.

I'd just like to suggest that the reason we lost the game Sunday was because of this type of overreaction coming from team management (Snyder).

For years, Snyder has been a typical fan - reactive. His track record of trading draft picks, firing coaches every year or so, and bringing in aging free agents are all what happens when a fan becomes an owner.

Thankfully, it seems like after years of overreacting, the owner has started to become more forward-looking (slightly) and put a strategy in place that will put the Redskins on the right path in the long-term - focusing on building through the draft and finding proven players in free agency who are at their prime.

I think it is time for everyone to step back and take a collective breath. On Sunday, the Redskins played a team that may have not been significantly more athletic but played and functioned as a unit that has been together for years. The reason the Giants are such a fantastic team in fact is because of continuity and good coaching -

I think the verdict is still out on whether or not we have the latter but if the Redskins continue to react year-in and year-out they will surely never have the former and never be the type of team we all want.
When can you not over react when they are 0-5? or loose to the Lions!?
Njall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
DFI
Special Teams

well since I said it I was meaning that I have a hard time with all of the overreacting and fire x bench y and all of the things said that are not fit to rewrite
'Russ Grimm would swallow his dip by halftime and throw up on somebody's shoes. Jeff Bostic and Mark May were fighting about who'd missed an assignment. And man did Riggo stink from his hangover. But we got it done.' Don Warren
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
Yes it is won in the trenches. I don't think we are that bad of a team. I just think that the Giants o-line and d-line were SUPERIOR. You have a constant rotation of 4 pro bowl caliber ends. Our O-line can handle some things but not that. They did okay. But giving up 3 sacks is not good. The D-line. Had a little more push. But we need some sacks. We need to put some of these young boys on the D-line and let them go at it. Makes more sense. Orakpo/Jarmon vs Daniels/Wynn.

Oh my bad Daniels and Wynn are more for stopping the run..

Think about it. The vigorous challenges of being in the trenches. I would want a young person with a lot of energy. Plus Phillips and Carter are pretty slow when RBs come of the edge. But people might say. They are playing because of experieince. Well we need results. They have been with this team for years and haven't done squat. Experieince doesn't help when your tired too old or too slow. This is football not shuffle board.

I am beginning to lose fatih in Blache. Truly. Does he know what he is doing?
Probably a little overdone here. Tuck might be the best 4-3 DE in the league. When Osi is healthy, he's a beast. But Kiwanuka is not really any better than Orakpo already is in a limited amount of downs he does, and after that, no one else on the Giants DL is really noteworthy. They're deep, but not with pro-bowl caliber players.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njall View Post
When can you not over react when they are 0-5? or loose to the Lions!?
:confused: What the hell? We haven't lost to the lions yet, nor are we 0-5?

It's hangover Monday, isn't it?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

I always picture some people here looking like this after a loss