Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Medical/Recreational Marijuana thread

Parking Lot

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Thumbs up Medical/Recreational Marijuana thread

WASHINGTON — The District of Columbia Council approved a measure on Tuesday that would allow people with certain chronic illnesses to obtain medical marijuana from a handful of dispensaries regulated by the city.

Washington, D.C., Approves Medical Use of Marijuana - NYTimes.com

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
mredskins
MVP

Re: Washington, D.C., Approves Medical Use of Marijuana

Just make it legal and tax it. I don't use it but it is such a waste of resources and money trying to round these "criminals" up.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Just make it legal and tax it. I don't use it but it is such a waste of resources and money trying to round these "criminals" up.

absolute concurrence.

i'd much rather take one little hit and be set for the night vs. the money/time wasted on drinking.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Its just a matter of time now...the trend has hit the east coast. It should be decriminalized shortly

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Its just a matter of time now...the trend has hit the east coast. It should be decriminalized shortly
I think eventually it will go that way, but it will still take quite some time. There's still significant political opposition to the idea.

I hate marijuana and hate when people smoke it for recreation. It disgusts me. But I've come around to the idea of legalizing. Scientific studies have shown the negative effects aren't worse than tobacco products. And those are legal.

I used to really buy into the gateway drug argument too. But after considering some more, isn't weed just a gateway drug because it's obtained illegally, and a lot of the same guys you buy weed from also have connections to other drugs? Weed wouldn't be a gateway drug if it was available at 7-11.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
mredskins
MVP

Seriously it would eliminate drug dealers and we at least be able to receive some revenue from it.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Seriously it would eliminate drug dealers and we at least be able to receive some revenue from it.
Yeah. Tax the ever living shit out of it. Take the tax revenue and put it into the healthcare system, help offset the long-term costs of living an unhealthy lifestyle. Just makes financial sense.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Yeah. Tax the ever living shit out of it. Take the tax revenue and put it into the healthcare system, help offset the long-term costs of living an unhealthy lifestyle. Just makes financial sense.
People are going to do if it is legal or not. I am pretty sure most people who really want to do it are doing it, they are not holding back because it is illegal.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
I think eventually it will go that way, but it will still take quite some time. There's still significant political opposition to the idea.

I hate marijuana and hate when people smoke it for recreation. It disgusts me. But I've come around to the idea of legalizing. Scientific studies have shown the negative effects aren't worse than tobacco products. And those are legal.

I used to really buy into the gateway drug argument too. But after considering some more, isn't weed just a gateway drug because it's obtained illegally, and a lot of the same guys you buy weed from also have connections to other drugs? Weed wouldn't be a gateway drug if it was available at 7-11.

well, while smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. MJ isn't just "not worse than tobacco" it doesn't contain nearly the amount of harmful chemicals, carcinogens and addictive ingredients. MJ has never killed anyone... how many thousands per day/week does cigs kill?

as for the gateway... what a myth. it's based on stuff like "what's the first drug you tried" answer is always MJ. of course. the fact that some cokehead or heroin junkie first tried "drugs" with MJ when they were 15 doesn't mean one led to the other.

how come ALCOHOL is never called a gateway drug? cuz really, most everyone starts their experimentation with inebriation by drinking. once you're out drinking/partying you are likely to end up in a position to start trying drugs. how many alcohol related deaths are there per year?

so yea, i dont smoke anymore... but i'm still a supporter.
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

I don't buy the whole gateway argument and I've never seen any meaningful research to support such a claim. THC is a drug that's practically as benign as caffeine, yet you don't see people worrying that drinking coffee is going to lead to someone snorting coke.

I do believe we'll see it legalized in our lifetime, support for it is higher than ever (lol) hopefully California will set the standard this fall and get this thing rolling (ha-ha).

Legalize it, tax the hell out of it, and let's start using our legal system and resources on more important things.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

I used to be against the legalization of it too, but have come around to thinking it that it should be re classified, and then decriminalized by the Fed and then let the states decide if they want it or not set thier own limits ie. medical use only, small amount decriminalized, full blown i can grow it in my garden. Positives: The border issues of violence surrounding the drug trade (smuggling and selling) could be substantially lessened. Cash crop to tax. Less people in jail for bullsh*t. Problems would be the same we have seen with alcohol, I dont envision an "opium den" like effect in communities. I think the legal marijuana experience among the masses will be virtually the same as it is today: you are young, you experiment, and then you graduate from college and realize you got sh*t to take care of so you grow out of it like any partying. Thats what I and many of my peers did, but dont get me wrong if i am at a concert or maybe a party, I will hit the joint if its good sh*t.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
mredskins
MVP

If it does become legal I can't wait to see how it is marketed. MJ light and MJ unfiltered. "The King of Buds"

LOL! Should be interesting.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
MTK
\m/

Marlboro Green

:cool-smil
Old 05-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #14
johno
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Legalize it, tax the hell out of it, and let's start using our legal system and resources on more important things.
This.

Will it happen in our lifetime? I would say possible, not likely. I would say once the "old guard" of the war on drugs era politicians lose office over the next 20 years, mostly due to age, and then maybe.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Just what we need, Arlen Spector and Robert Byrd going to work on "medication".