Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Yet another reason why Cris Carter is a moron

When my tell all book comes out, I'll tell you who I think are the best football minds at ESPN...the one I think is the best...will surprise you

Advertisements
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #17
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
And if Joe Theisman is on your list, I will exercise my option not to pay any attention to what you have to say on this matter.
Theisman is a straight up homer. I almost hate listening to him commentate a game. Troy Aikman is a good commentator with Fox. Mike Mayock with NFL is a good commentator. Steve Young is a good one, as is Jimmy Johnson (even though he's a Redskins hatter). Jon Gruden, Chris Collinsworth, Boomer E. I guess I don't have a problem with Millen as a commentator, but its really hard to listen to his advice given what he did in Detroit. It would be like getting financial advice from the guys who crashed the housing/banking market on Wall Street. Do they know their stuff? Sure. Would you take advice from them after all that went on? Probably not. Millen knows X's and O's. No doubt about that, it's his personnel comments that I take with a grain of salt.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #18
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Just so I can calibrate who you think are "smart" anaylsts that ESPN OUGHT to hire, can you provide a few names?

And if Joe Theisman is on your list, I will exercise my option not to pay any attention to what you have to say on this matter.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of people around here who think Theismann is a good commentator.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
GMScud
Swearinger

From the PFT article:

I’m not going to go so far as to say that Carter is simply wrong with his assessment of who the elite receivers in the NFL are, since judging the greatness of a wide receiver is a subjective exercise — as Carter himself has found out when getting passed over for the Hall of Fame. But I will say that Carter’s analysis was weak.

LOL. That about sums it up. I love the shot at him for getting passed over for the HOF multiple times.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
When Millen was a TV analyst prior to his time in Detroit he was considered one of the best in the biz.
Yes, once upon a time he was really good on the air.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #21
IRISHSKIN24
Special Teams

Carter's a jackass, Millen is a good commentator IMHO.....off topic/random but does Fox's Joe Buck remind anyone else of a real life Clark Kent? I always thought that just curious if i'm the only one....haha
Old 08-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Theisman is a straight up homer. I almost hate listening to him commentate a game. Troy Aikman is a good commentator with Fox. Mike Mayock with NFL is a good commentator. Steve Young is a good one, as is Jimmy Johnson (even though he's a Redskins hatter). Jon Gruden, Chris Collinsworth, Boomer E. I guess I don't have a problem with Millen as a commentator, but its really hard to listen to his advice given what he did in Detroit. It would be like getting financial advice from the guys who crashed the housing/banking market on Wall Street. Do they know their stuff? Sure. Would you take advice from them after all that went on? Probably not. Millen knows X's and O's. No doubt about that, it's his personnel comments that I take with a grain of salt.
Good. That is a list of analysts/commentators who do a good job on the air and who seem to know their ass from the first-down marker when it comes to football.

Note that you mentioned seven gentlemen and three of them - - 42% - - are already employed by ESPN. So, I guess the folks in Bristol don't only hire stupid people to be on-air commentators.

I would add ESPN's Marcellus Wiley and Trent Dilfer to your list. Neither was a great player, but both offer insightful comments.

And what about ESPN's Ron Jaworski? His voice might be a little annoying, but the snippets of game film he shows with his analysis are usually VERY good.

Last edited by sportscurmudgeon; 08-15-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

This has to be a mistake. Cris Carter would never say anything bad about another receiver let alone the most talented up and comer in the the game. Seriously, guy is obsessed with making his old position look more important then it really is.

Put it this way. If you were from Europe and knew nothing about American Football and the first person to teach you anything was Carter you would come away thinking the game revolved around receivers.

On a side note: Carter coached Hankerson in high school.....enjoy.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Good. That is a list of analysts/commentators who do a good job on the air and who seem to know their ass from the first-down marker when it comes to football.

Note that you mentioned seven gentlemen and three of them - - 42% - - are already employed by ESPN. So, I guess the folks in Bristol don't only hire stupid people to be on-air commentators.

I would add ESPN's Marcellus Wiley and Trent Dilfer to your list. Neither was a great player, but both offer insightful comments.

And what about ESPN's Ron Jaworski? His voice might be a little annoying, but the snippets of game film he shows with his analysis are usually VERY good.
My assertion was did they hire all the idiots(that happen to be in media), not did they only hire idiots. I know they have quality guys, which is why I think many of you read more into the post than what was really there.

Jaws is a homer as well even though I like his ability to break plays down. I enjoy Trent Dilfer as well.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
My assertion was did they hire all the idiots, not did they only hire idiots. I know they have quality guys, which is why I think many of you read more into the post than what was really there.

Jaws is a homer as well even though I like his ability to break plays down. I enjoy Trent Dilfer as well.
Jaws does have a bit of homer in him but he still remains very objective. Easily one of the best analyst in the game today.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Best analyst on TV easily is Grudden. "That guy" brings the insight to the game.

He Gets Us
Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #27
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

I agree with you. Wiley, Jaworski, and Dilfer are solid. My favorite right now is John Gruden. He's still young, really firey, smart, and he's a Super Bowl winning coach. Plus he's kind of a bad ass. Those sit down sessions he has with college QB's coming into the pro game are fantastic.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #28
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I agree with you. Wiley, Jaworski, and Dilfer are solid. My favorite right now is John Gruden. He's still young, really firey, smart, and he's a Super Bowl winning coach. Plus he's kind of a bad ass. Those sit down sessions he has with college QB's coming into the pro game are fantastic.
All hail Chucky!

R.I.P. #21
Old 08-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #30
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Jaws is entertaining because, as I've mentioned here before, he talks like that in everyday life.

Wiley and Dilfer are decent.

There are several good analysts, and some that aren't as good. In my opinion though, and I know most will not agree, the best person to talk NFL football with at ESPN is Mike Golic. Yeah, Mike Golic. No one, in my opinion, does a better job of mixing the X's and O's with his real life experience. Unfortunately, not many people get to experience that side of him. I think his current role kind of handcuffs his talents as an NFL analyst.

It's funny you mention Golic because I was about to jot his name down and considered he's more of a radio talk host than a "commentator". I do enjoy listening to him though even if I don't agree with what he's saying at times. I really loved it when he did that shuttle run during that Haynesworth TC fiasco.
Closed Thread