Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Thanks Smoot. Nice to have all this in one place. Personally Landry Jones doesn't seem like a bad choice. No reaching. No durability concerns. Extremely accurate. Not super smart, but definitely has a mind for the game. Arm strong enough to make all the throws.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
True. Fisher has been linked heavily to the Rams. Also linked to the Dolphins.
I think Fisher would keep Sam.. AGree?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
My gut prediction is Matt Flynn. I think the Shannahans have to win next season or it is curtains. I hate to say it, but I think it will end up costing the Redskins a 2nd, possibly a first round draft choice. The Packers will franchise him. They probably never considered it till now, but after Sunday there will be legitimate interest in him. Seatle, Cleveland, the Redskins and Miami. It will come down to Cleveland and the Redskins. Thats my take. What I hate about it is that the Redskins will end up giving draft choices up to get him.
I didn't see him play, however the media is a buz right now about him. My worry would be him coming here and performing like Kolb did in Arizona. I'm not saying he's not going to be good I'm saying he's been in a system for a couple or few yrs and knows the system. He comes here he might not fair well the 1st yr or might not live up to some peoples expectations of making the play offs or fire everyone.

I agree I think next year will be a deciding factor for Shanahan even though I don't think it should be. I'd give MS his whole 5 yrs while showing faithfulness and patience and willing to keep continuity before I'd bail after yr 3 and bring in another HC.

Maybe I'm just the only one who is seeing improvement, the team getting younger, the players understanding the scheme better, the run plays starting to come together better, a defense that had more sacks and INT's in this scheme vs. the 4-3 scheme we used. Add a couple offensive weapons (QB, WR) and a couple defensive weapons (FS, CB) and players coming back healthy then I can see this team doing better.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #34
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

My biggest fear with Flynn is not that he'll be the next Kolb but rather the next Brees. An UFA franchise changing QB that was there for the taking but passed up by us.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #35
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think Fisher would keep Sam.. AGree?
Part of the rumor as to Fischer to the Rams is Fischer knows someone in the front office or is friends with a family member of someone in the front office, and......

he supposedly has stated he wanted to go to a team that already has an established QB. In other words he doesn't want to have to draft one. I think the Rams have the best one besides the Colts out of all the teams who have fired their HC.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Thanks Smoot. Nice to have all this in one place. Personally Landry Jones doesn't seem like a bad choice. No reaching. No durability concerns. Extremely accurate. Not super smart, but definitely has a mind for the game. Arm strong enough to make all the throws.
He's one of the coolest dudes you'll meet, I work with the team every home game and he's always carried conversations with me unlike some of the "Star" players. Sam and A.D were nice guys too
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
My biggest fear with Flynn is not that he'll be the next Kolb but rather the next Brees. An UFA franchise changing QB that was there for the taking but passed up by us.
Trust me I'd take Flynn over throwing everything in for Luck or RGIII because we'd have to take Luck witht he 1st pick .... won't happen, and RGIII we'd have to trade with probably the Rams in order to move up above the Browns. I don't see the other teams trading out.

Flynn would be a lot cheaper, or atleast I'd guess he would be.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #38
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I want Flynn if we can't get Luck or Bradford... SO Yeah
Old 01-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #39
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Part of the rumor as to Fischer to the Rams is Fischer knows someone in the front office or is friends with a family member of someone in the front office, and......

he supposedly has stated he wanted to go to a team that already has an established QB. In other words he doesn't want to have to draft one. I think the Rams have the best one besides the Colts out of all the teams who have fired their HC.
Fisher's agent is the father of the Rams' Chief Operating Officer.

Apparently Fisher's first choice was the Chargers and the chance to be back home in California and coach Phillip Rivers. But now with Turner likely returning, he's looking elsewhere

The appeal of Bradford in St. Louis is definitely there for Fisher. But there's also been speculation he may bring in someone like Orton and move Bradford for picks to build up the team
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #40
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Ryan Tannehill: See Jones. Though honestly I think they're more likely to take Jones at 6 than Tannehill. Feeling is Jones can start now, Tannehill may need a little more time

My gut prediction as of today...Landry Jones (I know I've been saying Tannehill but I'm honestly going back and forth on the two) and Rex returns as the backup.
Thanks for the info, I'm a bit surprised by the view of Jones as more of an immediate starter then Tannehill though.

There is no dount that Tannehill lacks experience but he actually knows this offense because A&M runs it; this actually gives him a leg up in learning the offense especially considering that Jones comes from a spread.

Tannehill isn't as inexperienced as most think and will have more snaps then Cam Newton and Mark Sanchez both of whom were day 1 starters.

There's as much to suggest that he could be a day 1 or midseason as their is to suggest that he needs to sit for a season.

Last edited by 30gut; 01-03-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
cpayne5
Playmaker

Awesome post and information. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
They are going to franchise their TE, not Flynn. The Skins aren't even interested in Flynn.

Packers' Raji gets more out of playing less - JSOnline
They were going to franchise thier TE. Now they can draft one with the pick they recieve, or just sign him. Matt Flynn is going to bring a first or second round pick. Maybe we end up trading our first for thiers. Maybe we are not even players. But I have heard two former Gm's say they would give a first for him if they were the Redskins.

Last edited by T.O.Killa; 01-03-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #43
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Fisher's agent is the father of the Rams' Chief Operating Officer.

Apparently Fisher's first choice was the Chargers and the chance to be back home in California and coach Phillip Rivers. But now with Turner likely returning, he's looking elsewhere

The appeal of Bradford in St. Louis is definitely there for Fisher. But there's also been speculation he may bring in someone like Orton and move Bradford for picks to build up the team
That would be one stupid move in my opinion. I would lose all respect for Fisher if he did that.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #44
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
They were going to franchise thier TE. Now they can draft one with the pick they recieve, or just sign him. Matt Flynn is going to bring a first or second round pick. Maybe we end up trading our first for thiers. Maybe we are not even players. But I have heard two former Gm's say they would give a first for him if they were the Redskins.

Anybody that would give up a first rounder for Flynn is a ****ing idiot. Vinny is no longer a GM so I seriously doubt any would. If these guys actually said they would give up a first rounder for Flynn, I can see why they are "former" GMs.

Also, nobody is going to pay Flynn a 16million dollar salary if he's franchised either. Not going to happen.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 01-03-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #45
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
We don't want to trade our 1st and 2nd for Bradford. Possibly one or the other. More likely this year's 1st plus future high picks. It's tough to know right now because no one knows who is going to be running the Rams

I wouldn't take Jones or Tannehill at #6. But I don't think either falls below 12-15. With QBs though, there's always the possibility someone reaches.

I could end up being totally wrong here. But I liken the Flynn talk to Peppers from a couple of years ago. When just about everyone was linking Julius Peppers to the Redskins, and what did I repeatedly say here? The Redskins had no interest and he wasn't coming here...and he didn't
What would be interesting is to see if they think they can drop back & still get Jones or Tannehill. If Blakmon is still there at 6 I think some offers could come in. If a J. Jones type offer comes in, that's too good to pass up even if you need a franchise qb.
Closed Thread