Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trotter rumors and Defensive tackle analysis from Fox Sports

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
SKINS73
Special Teams

Trotter rumors and Defensive tackle analysis from Fox Sports

This was posted on Fox Sports Yesterday

May 06 2004 - Bill Parcells expects the Eagles to sign LB Jeremiah Trotter, currently with the Redskins. I hear they're going to get (Jeremiah) Trotter back if they haven't already, and will put him in the middle. Trotter will be released after June 1st.

Defensive tackles analysis

Cornelius Griffin is big, strong and mobile. But his past two seasons have been average, and the team needs something better than average from its lead tackle. Jermaine Haley is a solid backup, but he wears down when he has to start and play every series. A key to this position could be the recovery of Brandon Noble (knee); he missed last season. Noble is a big-bodied player who is strong enough to tie up blockers and smart enough to read an offensive lineman's stance to discern whether a run or pass is coming. Backups Joe Salave'a and Cedric Killings were reserves with other teams last season. It's unlikely either will make a great impact for the Redskins.
SKINS73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
skins009
Impact Rookie

Trotter going back to the eagles, will not be a good thing. He was a force when you was there. I heard something that Seattle was interested in Trotter. We should try to send him there so he's not in our division.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
jsarno
Franchise Player

I agree, we don't want him in our division. Trotter has not been what we expected him to be, and for the money is not worth it. A release is the only answer...if he goes to Phily he will make sure he does his best to beat us.
Why has a possible trade not been discussed yet?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

I still think it was a mistake signing Barrow and getting rid of Trotter. We should at least tried to restructure his contract before telling hime he could look for a trade. He won't get as much money as we gave him wherever he goes. Also I think he will be MUCH better next season after being 2 years removed from his knee injury and I also believe with the new defensive system and somewhat improved d-line would help him be that much better. I hope he doesn't go to the Eagles becasue we will all be pissed especially in a few years when Barrow retires and Trotter is still a force!!!!
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #5
skins009
Impact Rookie

I think the reason they never considered doing that was because he doesn't fit what Williams wants at LB and that is speed. Plus he's making a lot of money, which only made things worse. I still think though the redskins need to find a way to keep him from going to the eagles.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins009
I think the reason they never considered doing that was because he doesn't fit what Williams wants at LB and that is speed. Plus he's making a lot of money, which only made things worse. I still think though the redskins need to find a way to keep him from going to the eagles.
I agree that he needs to be prevented from going to the Eagles. That being said, I'm not sure Barrow is substantially faster than Trotter. I think the main difference between the two linebackers is upstairs - Barrow is a student of the game whereas Trotter is far more instintive. That's part of the reason Trotter hasn't fit in (when he's been healthy).
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
SKINS73
Special Teams

I think it would be more harmful if Trotter came from the same defensive system that we would use this year. Do you think that Gibbs didn't invite Trotter to training camp just in case he were to go to a division rival?
SKINS73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
offiss

The fact that the eagles want him could stir up interest from other team's, seeing a team out there who are SB contender's, giving him the starting MLB job, perhap's there's another team willing to give up a draft pick for him?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
jasonskin
Special Teams

A let him go to the eagles let him go were he wants if we cut him.If the skins want to be the best the got to beat the best.We got to beat the eagles nomatter who they got or get
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
The fact that the eagles want him could stir up interest from other team's, seeing a team out there who are SB contender's, giving him the starting MLB job, perhap's there's another team willing to give up a draft pick for him?
I can't believe that he'd be willing to go back to Philly. When he left, he was completely indignant regarding the team, even promising to make them pay for not appreciating him. How do you tuck your tail between your legs, take a big ass pay cut and return to the team (and those fans) after that?
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:22 PM   #11
Carnage
Special Teams

True. There was a lot of acrimony on both sides in their parting. Trotter was very angry with the organization and the they slandered him all the way out the door.
They could sure use him though.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #12
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I would rather he not go back to Philly as I believe he would do well in Johnson's system. On the other hand, he may really have lost it the last two years and would only be an average guy for them. Regardless, I don't think they have anyone decent in the middle now and even an average MLB would be an upgrade. As I was originally excited by his signing, I am disappointed that Trotter didn't work out here.

I like Barrow and think he will fit into Williams D better than Trotter would. It just a shame that the whole Trotter/Barrow thing is causing such a huge cap hit for a position of less importance than good pass-rushing DE. This is an area where we undoubtedly are paying premium cap price for a less than premium position.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:44 PM   #13
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
This is an area where we undoubtedly are paying premium cap price for a less than premium position.
As is our wont.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #14
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy
I can't believe that he'd be willing to go back to Philly. When he left, he was completely indignant regarding the team, even promising to make them pay for not appreciating him. How do you tuck your tail between your legs, take a big ass pay cut and return to the team (and those fans) after that?
good point, perhaps trotter had seen the error of his way's.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:58 PM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
good point, perhaps trotter had seen the error of his way's.
or would rather have a paycheck than his pride.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote