Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Something to hope for

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-12-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
manicd
Special Teams

Something to hope for

After reading that last link posted by Joe Crisp(regarding DE Daniels), I was excited to see the amount of sacks under Gibbs' defenses.

"Bear in mind that during Gibbs' first tenure as Redskins head coach, getting to the quarterback was vital. The 1984 Redskins defense produced a team-record 66 sacks; in six of Gibbs' 12 seasons, Washington's defense came up with at least 50 sacks per year."

66 sacks again would be sweet. Don't see it happening with this D though. But we can hope.
manicd is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-12-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
mizzo skins man
Camp Scrub

I think that Ritchie Pettibone had a lot to do with the first Gibbs era. Hopefully, Williams can do the same.
mizzo skins man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I think Williams is a much better coach to have then Pettibone. We'll have to wait and see though.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Williams will make pressure happen, unlike that bum, Edwards.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:50 AM   #5
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Pettibone was an excellent D-coordinator. You can't win championships without a great D. I always thought he kinda got a bum rap when Turner was brought in...
Old 05-13-2004, 04:55 AM   #6
offiss

I alway's thought Pettitbone was good, but not great, I felt that Gibb's ability to call a game, and control the ball, really helped Pettitbone, although I think he's better than anyone we have had since he left, I am expecting great thing's out of Williams this year, I believe there is only 1 way to play defense, and that's attack from every direction, and every angle possible, pressure is imperative to a defenses success, and I believe that's what William's will bring.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
celts32
Playmaker

Painfully short memories. Pettibone was a great D-coordinator. You don't win 3 Super Bowls without great defensive coaching. I hope Williams ends up being just as good, but the proof is in the pudding. There is no need to put down one of the best Skins coaches ever just to build up the guy in the present.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

It's hard to argue with you Celts considering the team's overall success w/ Petibon as D-Coordinator, but I will -

Even though the Redskins won with Petibon as coordinator, I think (and thought at the time) that he benefited greatly from having Gibbs as head coach. Petibon was a good coordinator; at times, he was a very good coordinator. But, truth be told, his defenses never led the Skins to championships. No, they weren't just along for the ride; they were good defenses that accomplished what needed to be done with the talent at hand, but I never saw them as stifling or overwhelming - even with all the sacks. Under Petibon, the defense held its own against any offense it faced and then the offense pounded the opposing team into submission.

If Williams can accomplish that same feat, it will be good enough for me. I hope that Williams can make use of the talent at hand and force some 3 and outs on a regular basis. Based on his past, I think Williams has the potential to be the best D-Coach the Skins have had since Petibon.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 05-13-2004 at 10:36 AM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:39 AM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I agree! I take nothing away from Petitbone. I remember John Madden talking about how Petitbone used to be referred to as the "Mastermind" of the defense. Richie definitely knew what he was doing on the defensive side of the ball. It also helped that he had some good quality players. I think the key though is having a head coach that is just as invovled with the defense as he is with the offense. Gibbs has tried to make sure that we have the players we need on both offense and defense, other than Spurrier worrying about offense and letting the defense go or not being involved with the decision making on that side of the ball.

I would be surprised if we don't do well this year.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #10
Defensewins
Playmaker

Petitbone is the best d-coordinator the redskins have ever had...period. I think most of guys forget that in 1987 the defense held down the fort, while Gibbs offense under QB Jay Schroeder played very inconsistently. Petitbone's defense won us games we would have lost if our D was not as good as it was. It was not until Gibbs gave up on Schroeder and put in QB Doug Williams more than 2/3 into the season, that the Offense took off and we won the SB.
In 1991-92 season the defense posted three very impressive shut outs of 45-0, 34-0 and 23-0. The last one being against the Eagles.
His gambling style of defense is very respected by most NFL coaches. John Madden and Pat Summeral loved Petitbone.
I remember Petitbon playing every type of defense known to man. He actually in one game played a five man d-line (5 down lineman) on every first down against a an opponent that had a great running game but below average passing game. He mixed in 4-3, 3-4 and 4-6 defenses into his arsenal. In 1991-91 season, on third and long he played a very succesfull version of the 46 defense with Charles Mann at Nose Guard, Jumpy Geathers next to him at DT and Wilbur Marshall and Monte Coleman playing LB together on one side of the D line. We racked up so many sacks it was awesome.

Last edited by Defensewins; 05-13-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #11
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins
Petitbone is the best d-coordinator the redskins have ever had...period. I think most of guys forget that in 1987 the defense held down the fort, while Gibbs offense under QB Jay Schroeder played very inconsistently. Petitbone's defense won us games we would have lost if our D was not as good as it was. It was not until Gibbs gave up on Schroeder and put in QB Doug Williams more than 2/3 into the season, that the Offense took off and we won the SB.
In 1991-92 season the defense posted three very impressive shut outs of 45-0, 34-0 and 23-0. The last one being against the Eagles.
His gambling style of defense is very respected by most NFL coaches. John Madden and Pat Summeral loved Petitbone.
I remember Petitbon playing every type of defense known to man. He actually in one game played a five man d-line (5 down lineman) on every first down against a an opponent that had a great running game but below average passing game. He mixed in 4-3, 3-4 and 4-6 defenses into his arsenal. In 1991-91 season, on third and long he played a very succesfull version of the 46 defense with Charles Mann at Nose Guard, Jumpy Geathers next to him at DT and Wilbur Marshall and Monte Coleman playing LB together on one side of the D line. We racked up so many sacks it was awesome.
The 5 man line was in the playoff's against the bear's, that was payton's last game, and the 5 man line was all Gibb's idea, not pettitbone.

I don't know how many recall this about RP, but his defenses used to ware down late in the game, the year we set the record for scoring, we almost gave up as many point's as we scored, it wasen't until the NFL decieded to allow the clock to run when you go out of bound's until late in the game to help shorten the time constraint's of the game, that pettitbone's defense really started to come around, primarily we didn't have enough 3 and out's during his tenure to keep the defense fresh, of coarse this wasen't every game but it seemed to keep the other team in the game to often, RP IMO is better than any one we have had since his departure, but I won't say he was great or an elite D-coordinator.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote