Chargers and Norv

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #31
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Chargers and Norv

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Didn't Snyder buy the team in 1999, after that playoff season?
He took over somewhere around May of 99 which was the playoff season which was a loss to TB.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM   #32
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
Anybody remember Bill Callahan taking Oak to the SB? That's how I see Norv's success this year. Schottenheimer put together a tough team and now Norv is riding those coattails as far as they'll take him.
Wrong! The guy that died before A.J. Smith and AJ Smith.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #33
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Didn't Snyder buy the team in 1999, after that playoff season?
Yes, and it had no chemistry.
Might have been the 2000 team I am thinking about though.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
And let's not forget Danny's big push for jeff george over johnson...that was brilliant too. Brad was a pretty solid qb, not amazing, but solid.
Didn't he go on to Tampa and win a SB?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #35
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Until next year, when his lack of leadership causes the team to fall apart. I really see alot of parallels to the Oak situation when Gruden left and Callahan took over.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #36
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean here...

Thomas Paine
Old 01-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #37
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I dealt with Norv Turner at least weekly behind the scenes for 2 and a half years. Decent guy, but I don't doubt for one minute that this team is winning despite him. Sure, some of it here might have been the players he had. He expected Gus Frerotte to be Troy Aikman, which he obviously wasn't. But Norv wouldn't budge. Did the same with Brad Johnson, who at least grasped things a lot better than Gus. Norv, similar to Spurrier, seemed to have no concept of what anyone beyond the QB was up to on the team. The whole locker room was filled with chaos and confusion. It was just ugly.

Now I understand he's not entirely to blame, but as the head coach he bears significant responsibility. I can't say I ever saw a time where he took charge and people said "that's our leader."

People speculate, and I would tend to agree, that Marvin Lewis was the true leader of the clubhouse while he was here with Spurrier. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is happening in San Diego.

Norv's not a bad guy, but he shouldn't keep getting these great opportunities at the expense of others.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
?????????
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #39
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Huh? I'm not sure what you mean here...
They had another GM before AJ Smith took over, he had a great eye for talent and died a few years ago. I can't remember his name.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #40
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Are you referring to Bobby Beathard? Anyway, what I was trying to say is that the Chargers still have Marty's personality. That's still his team out there. Norv is the head coach, but that team carries Marty's imprint.

Thomas Paine
Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #41
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
Damn, how about some credit for Norv. Great win today.

Hey guys, guess what...you can't win w/out good players. Norv didn't have good players as a skins coach and horrible players as the Raiders coach. His year or two in Oakland shouldn't even count.

Maybe not a great coach but give credit to an ex skins coach, an excellent offensive mind, and an overall nice guy.
I cant believe how much everyone hates Norv. Yeah,he was a looser coach, but come on give him a little credit. I am happy for him. If some how he pulls of a win next week, he will for ever be my hero.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #42
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I dealt with Norv Turner at least weekly behind the scenes for 2 and a half years. Decent guy, but I don't doubt for one minute that this team is winning despite him. Sure, some of it here might have been the players he had. He expected Gus Frerotte to be Troy Aikman, which he obviously wasn't. But Norv wouldn't budge. Did the same with Brad Johnson, who at least grasped things a lot better than Gus. Norv, similar to Spurrier, seemed to have no concept of what anyone beyond the QB was up to on the team. The whole locker room was filled with chaos and confusion. It was just ugly.

Now I understand he's not entirely to blame, but as the head coach he bears significant responsibility. I can't say I ever saw a time where he took charge and people said "that's our leader."

People speculate, and I would tend to agree, that Marvin Lewis was the true leader of the clubhouse while he was here with Spurrier. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar is happening in San Diego.

Norv's not a bad guy, but he shouldn't keep getting these great opportunities at the expense of others.
While I won't disagree, I will say that Norv's first stint as a head coach was with us, so there was plenty of learning to go around. Also, keep in mind that he led us to 4 winning records in 7 years (he was 7-6 in 2000 when he was fired). We were a doormat and he lifted us from that. No, he did not have what it took back then to get any better than that, and I do not for one second disagree with firing him, but that was a long time ago, and people can learn.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
You can't blame Snyder for the Green/Johnson situation cause he didn't have control of the team until the moves were already made. Trent Green was already gone before Danny got the team. Charley Casserly was the one who brought in Brad Johnson under John Cooke.
Thank you! When will people stop saying Snyder got rid of Trent Green?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #44
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Are you referring to Bobby Beathard? Anyway, what I was trying to say is that the Chargers still have Marty's personality. That's still his team out there. Norv is the head coach, but that team carries Marty's imprint.
No, it was after Bobby Beathard. This guy came from Buffalo who also brought Smith from Buffalo.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 01-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #45
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
What has Marty Done? Show me? He'll have a great season and CHOKE!! At least Norv with the same team minus LaDanian lost in the 2nd quarter, Rivers lost in the 4th quarter, beat the Colts in Indy. Enough said!!!
So the players had nothing to do with that huh? John Elway had nothing to do with that? How is Byner fumbling on the one yard line Marty's fault?? I just think that the whole Marty is a choker stuff is bullshit. The dude is a damn good coach. Norv is just a good OC. He is not a leader of men.

Alot of people can coach the Chargers. They are set up to win now.They have the best RB in the NFL. They have the best pass rusher. One of the best NT's. A solid o-line. Real good corners. And the AFC West sucked this year.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote