Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

If the current CBA expires, do the triggers contained in it and referenced above (i.e. 2nd franchise tag, longer time before becoming an UFA, etc) run until a new agreement is signed? Or do they expire after a set number of years?

Advertisements
Old 05-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #47
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
If the current CBA expires, do the triggers contained in it and referenced above (i.e. 2nd franchise tag, longer time before becoming an UFA, etc) run until a new agreement is signed? Or do they expire after a set number of years?
I think the former
Old 05-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #48
fkcowboys
Camp Scrub

in all reality its a bad thing. the competion would dwindle and the skins would be like the yankees getting everyone that they could which doesnt always work but it make other teams horrible. fans wouldnt go to the games where small market teams are cuz there would be no point an than you would have teams going bankrupt cuz the cash isnt flowing NOT GOOD. just increase the salary cap for now like 15 more mill.
fkcowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:24 PM   #49
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Bad!
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #50
redskin37
Special Teams

There needs to be a minimum salary cap as well. These low spending teams take all the television and ticket money and leave it in their pocket.
redskin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #51
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I liked the idea. Again not sure of all the ramifications though. I can remember the NFL prior to the CAP and I like it better then now only cause players actually had "Loyalty" to a team. Since the CAP it's been all about money. Players come and go. Fans purchase $75 to $100 jerseys and the player is gone in 3-6 yrs. Fans can't pick a player and stand behind him cause who knows maybe next yr he's on the rival team.

I find it funny there will be no CAP but the owners agreed to raise the CAP some 20 mill. LOL. If the owners can find a way to tweek the CAP for the future as some have suggested here then perhaps player loyalty will come back, but if it can't then I stand behind the no cap cause football was a lot better when there seemed to be loyalty and life long career players, ie: Green.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #52
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Also, I keep hearing how big, and great, and awsome the rivalry is between the Skins and Dallas and honestly since the CAP I feel it has dwindled. It's no where as strong as it was back prior to the CAP. Maybe it has more to do with how we have not done great things through the 90's but again I think its partly cause the team could not resign some players and some left for more money. Perhaps I'm just looking to put blame somewhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #53
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I can remember the NFL prior to the CAP and I like it better then now only cause players actually had "Loyalty" to a team.
I think you are referring to "free agency"

I also liked it better when the Skins essentially owned players for their whole careers...but it kinda hurt the players.

I wouldn't mind seeing some form of "restricted free agency" system for all players plus a cap amount that is 50% higher than the current rate.

This way ....if the Skins wanted to overspend...they could within reason...but if they wanted someone elses players...they'd essentially have to trade picks (which we do anyways)....the difference would be that we could spend way more than now...we'd just need to stockpile picks to aquire other teams talent.

Of course some will say this will cost us more than now...but..keep in mind, the price for a restricted free agent may be less because of less competion since it is essentially a trade....not to mention, if everyone is restricted...it is far more likely that you could retain them for their entire career...especially if you are willing to pay the most.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #54
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
That's a trick question. The uncapped season is contained inside the CBA as a disincentive to reach the end of the CBA, which is currently to end after the 2010 season.

There is no football without a CBA, essentially. Or at least, not as we currently enjoy it. Any deals that run past 2010 do so under the assumption of labor peace, that includes all player contracts, TV deals, league endorsements. There's no such thing as a second uncapped year. Just uncertainty.

The most obvious and likely outcome of no agreement after the 2010 season would be a lockout. But if the union chooses to de-certify, we could see a situation where all the owners can negotiate directly with players in an incredibly unregulated market.

There would be a 2011 NFL Draft, per the prior agreement. But that is currently the final scheduled NFL Draft, which of course is certain to be extended in any sort of CBA extension. People love the draft, and even if the owners lock out the players, it would never reach the point where there is no 2012 draft.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #55
nyredskinsfan
Special Teams

Vote: Uncapped. I could care less about parity. I want the Skins to win every game, every game. I much appreciate D.S. for going out and spending cash faster than he can print it to get players that he hopes will bring in wins. This guy is not only an owner, he's a Skins fan. Let him and any other owner open up their wallets and sign whoever they want for whatever price. The the heck with the small market teams, get better players and win....spend money. If they can't cut it, move or sell. How many times have teams moved to a better market? No reason it can't be done again. I don't want to hear poverty from any of them. I'm also a Yankee fan, the Yankee's don't win all the time, but it sure isn't from the lack of trying by the Steinbrenner family. Give D.S. and the owners, who are real fans of their teams, the freedom of managing their own finances.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #56
skinsnut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyredskinsfan View Post
Vote: Uncapped. I could care less about parity. I want the Skins to win every game, every game. I much appreciate D.S. for going out and spending cash faster than he can print it to get players that he hopes will bring in wins. This guy is not only an owner, he's a Skins fan. Let him and any other owner open up their wallets and sign whoever they want for whatever price. The the heck with the small market teams, get better players and win....spend money. If they can't cut it, move or sell.

You've got a good point...although it may not be good for revenue because some smaller teams would suffer....in the long run, I'd rather see 24 teams with killer talent than the current 32 of which a quarter of em dont even have a viable starting QB.

Why not...deregulate and let the cream rise to the top...I've got a good feeling that the Skins would excel in a truly open market
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #57
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Parity is a two fold monster. One being the market which most markets are pretty well off now due to the T.V. agreements, number or fans in the areas have risen, and NFL setting pricing for products like hats, shirts, jerseys and so on.

the second issue is the owners and how much they are willing to spend. Back in the day teams like the Patriots, Browns, Bengals had owners who seemed to hord their earnings and not put a lot into advertising, player aquesition, or negotiating t.v.deals. Now the NFL makes those t.v. deals. Players are getting more money but owners could still say ..."I'm not paying that" which they do even now. The other problem is states like California that had 4 teams, San Diego, Los Angeles Rams, San Fran, and Oakland. All those teams took money from each other. Spread the teams out across the U.S. to other states with big markets that don't have teams then the two teams left in California will generate larger sums of income due to state loyalty. The Rams figured it out, but the other have not. NY is a small state and they have 2 teams fighting for money, viewers, and fans.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #58
SkinzzFan
Special Teams

I just want the Skins to win another Superbowl...SOON! I don't care who gets paid what or how much each owner makes. I'm a fan of the game of football, not the business of the NFL. If an uncapped NFL means the Redskins become the Yankees of the NFL then great, they have 26 championships. Can't argue with that (they've been buying players since Babe Ruth). LOL.

Seriously, I'm not saavy enough about the salary cap to know what's best for the game. All I know is MLB seems to be doing pretty well without one.

HAIL!!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #59
bigSkinsfan61
Special Teams

all i can say is danny will show em the money
Old 05-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #60
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsnut View Post
I think you are referring to "free agency"

I also liked it better when the Skins essentially owned players for their whole careers...but it kinda hurt the players.

I wouldn't mind seeing some form of "restricted free agency" system for all players plus a cap amount that is 50% higher than the current rate.

This way ....if the Skins wanted to overspend...they could within reason...but if they wanted someone elses players...they'd essentially have to trade picks (which we do anyways)....the difference would be that we could spend way more than now...we'd just need to stockpile picks to aquire other teams talent.

Of course some will say this will cost us more than now...but..keep in mind, the price for a restricted free agent may be less because of less competion since it is essentially a trade....not to mention, if everyone is restricted...it is far more likely that you could retain them for their entire career...especially if you are willing to pay the most.

Maybe, but Free Agency was around prior to the CAP. The only difference was most players stayed with the team they started with, and most teams found the money to resign valuable players. When the CAP was put in place teams, no different then the Skins now, find themselves close to the CAP and can not sign those valuable players unless it's for less money and the players leave for the money.