Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Suprised

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #1
Defensewins
Playmaker

Suprised

Coaches finally gave Lott a start at SS. He made a few good plays and few bad ones. But over all he is still playing better than Bowen.
Bowen had another bad game. Coaches may have cut the wrong guy (IffY)? Iffy should have been given at least one start at SS this preseason to see what he can do at that position as opposed to FS. Plus he needed a chance to play with the starting D.

I thought Rod Gardner looked good. He is showing he still a PRO. He made a few really nice catches early on.

Ron Warner continues to surprise, he seems to make occasional good plays here and there. Canidate for practice squad!
Where is Regan Upshaw? If he has been playing, he is not doing much.

Antonio Pierce looks really good. He is peaking right now. Might be peaking too early?. Maybe sit him down and save him for the regular season. It is a long preseason & regular season. Antonio is currently starting on D and playing all special teams. We know what we have in Antonio, he is a keeper. Time to sit Antonio and give the other back up LB's more playing time, that way they can really be evaluated.

Betts looked pretty good in his very limited playing time. Rock and the other backups looked really bad. What is the deal with Betts? Why can't he play more than a few plays?

Taylor Jacobs flashed some great speed catching that long pass. But then proceeded to fumble away the ball. Where was he the rest of the game?
Showed very little after his early catch and fumble.

Ralph Brown got beat then taunted on a D play. Not His fault though. QB had way to much time to throw.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Taylor got one other really nice catch. The fumble was also a great defensive play. I think he thought he had that man beat. He shouldn't have held it out there like that, but the other guy made a good play.

Honestly, I think the way Mitchell and Pierce are playing we might have Mr. Barrow riding some pine for longer than the pre-season.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

I dont think I would even consider playign them over Barrow, and I dont even think they have been playing that well. I also wouldnt sit pierce because you say hes a lock to make the team. Im not doubting that he makes the team but hes a backup that might have to start so he should be out there getting as much playing time as possible to continue to improve. Its one thing to sit a star to keep him from getting hurt, its another to not let a young guy play that needs the experience.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

pierce needs time, since i dont think hes ever played MLB until this year, he was always outside. im glad that my boy Andre got the start also. bowen needs to get the hell out of the lineup, what a shitbomb
Old 08-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Skins - would you say the same thing if Barrow came from Florida? VA Tech? I'm not so sure. Barrow hasn't proved a damn thing this offseason except his knees are in fact old!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #6
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Bowen did play horrible. Pierce is a solid backup. Theres no way he'll take the job from Barrow. Mitchell didn't play that great either, however I did like how Campbell played. Warner continues to impress and should make the team no doubt. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Wynn get that sack. He needs to do that more often....because up until now he hasn't earned that salary he's making.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Skins - would you say the same thing if Barrow came from Florida? VA Tech? I'm not so sure. Barrow hasn't proved a damn thing this offseason except his knees are in fact old!
Barrow has probably been the most consistent a player over his career on our entire team, i dont think skins gives a damn where he came from, in regards to him starting. lead the nfc in tackles last year, has 100+ tackles year in, year out. hes the safety valve we need, hes already proven his worth, hes the starter for sure
Old 08-28-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
Barrow has probably been the most consistent a player over his career on our entire team, i dont think skins gives a damn where he came from, in regards to him starting. lead the nfc in tackles last year, has 100+ tackles year in, year out. hes the safety valve we need, hes already proven his worth, hes the starter for sure
I agree. Barrow has nothing to prove. His consistency speaks for itself. He's a proven leader who knows this defense. I give Pierce his props, but no way he's taking Barrows job.

We should be happy to have some good depth at LB postition. Now, if you wanna talk about the Safety position, now that's another story. Behind Taylor we seriously lack speed at that position.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #9
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal

lol, are you kidding Daseal? Do you really think Mitchell is better than Barrow? It has nothign to do with what college he went to. Barrow is one of the most proven middle linebackers in the league. He stuff the run and makes plays. Besides, I only care more about recent players that went to UM while I was there.

Barrow has one of the best work ethics of any player in the league, he being injured right now sucks but it doesnt take away from woh he is.

If we went by what you are saying, I think Arrington should ride the pine this year, he missed two preseason games and might miss a third a precaution. We cant go having players that dotn play in preseason or practice out there on our starting squad.

Barrow has been to every practice and works out with the defense learning the plays and being a leader without being on the field. I hope and pray that hes healed and can play for us come week one.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
That Guy
Living Legend

jacobs looked good even with the fumble, he ran the routes and had the hands... ST got another pick, the secondary overall was awful... but the defense stayed on the field too long and the pass rush wasn't there (be it vanilla play calling or missing starters or bad play or whatever)...

here's hoping for a good start vs tampa bay...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
wolfeskins
The Starter

smoot

smoot needs to run with his feet and not so much with his mouth.he's always saying how good he is,well he got burnt last night,burnt bad.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Welcome to the board wolfeskins!
Old 08-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
That Guy
Living Legend

every cb gets burnt given enough time... the ways to stop it are to get a better pass rush, keep the defense on the field less, or to get better cbs.... the first two make a much bigger difference... thats part of my the ravens got great cbs... they're well supported.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #14
EEich
The Starter

I agree... especially with the new "no touch" rule for CBs...
We're going to see alot of WR TDs and interference penalties this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
every cb gets burnt given enough time... the ways to stop it are to get a better pass rush, keep the defense on the field less, or to get better cbs.... the first two make a much bigger difference... thats part of my the ravens got great cbs... they're well supported.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

"my" should be "why" in my last post, i apologize for my fat thumbs/slow brain/etc/etc/etc