Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who lines up against #1 Wide Out? Springs or Smoot?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2004, 04:29 AM   #1
BrunellFan
Special Teams

Who lines up against #1 Wide Out? Springs or Smoot?

This is a tough call because we dont know a whole lot about Springs, but I think Smoot is a borderline Pro Bowl player and could fit in against an opponents #1.

Or they may take sides and not line up against one particular wide out, which isnt a bad idea considering that Springs and Smoot are pretty decent CBs and one is not significantly better than the other IMHO

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
SKINS73
Special Teams

Too hard to tell now...

I've never seen Springs play but he's supposed to be a "shutdown corner." I just think we were lucky to get another DB to seal up the sides again. He may not be as good as Bailey; however, I'd take the Springs/Portis combo over the Bailey/2nd round pick combo any day. You never know what you'll end up with in the draft...
SKINS73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
beg8878
Special Teams

I'd say Springs if he is healthy. I like Smoot, and think he would do a decent job on a #1 WR, but Springs has more talent. He is still pretty young (only 2 years older than Champ) and when healthy is still one of the top cover corners in the league, a few notches below Champ.....
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
MTK
\m/

I think it will be a good camp battle to see who's the man, I'd put my money on Smoot.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
cpayne5
Playmaker

I'm thinking we'll see a lot of zones, so it may depend on where the WR lines up.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Smoot will show us all alot this season, he did a HELL of alot last year too, he made a ton of plays all over the place. I really think Smoot is going to emerge as a real leader on and off the feild this year. HOWEVER, Springs is the #1 man if he's healthy I would have to belive. Not that it really matters in the long run, Smoot is a damn good corner and if he was on the #1 and Springs is on the #2 , I wouldnt think twice about it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:22 AM   #7
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

I'd love to see them compete for the #1 spot all year.

Springs should be very solid if healthy.

Smoot is making $700K this year in the last year of his contract. You don't think he wants a taste of some Bailey $$$?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Smoot is in it only for the money. I love the guy and I think him and Coles were Co-MVPs last year.

I hope he earns the big bucks this season, and I really hope Dan is the one who gives them to him.

Last edited by CrazyCanuck; 03-05-2004 at 12:25 AM.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think both have the ability to shut down the #1 WR. I think Springs would be better vs larger #1's whereas smoot would be better for the quicker #1s.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:59 AM   #9
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I see More zones due to Williams scheme (plenty of blitzes) and most likely they won't have a 'side' unless they see a good matchup (i.e. if we play a tall guy they will likely want to stick Springs on him). I think they will work well and Smoot being in contract year, probably pro bowl calibre.

A lot have been saying we should get Taylor in the draft, but if we get a better pass rush now, do we really need an upgrade at safety? These 2 should be OK on the outside, so I think we'd be OK with the safeties we have.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #10
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

We would be OK with the safties but with Sean Taylor he would be a huge upgrade to the safty position, he is a linebacker who is very fast. He would make a huge difference in our secondary if we had him.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:28 AM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Taylor is the best available player and will keep our team doing well for years to come. DLinemen also will take longer to bring around. EIther way I think our DLine will be sufficient. I think if Taylor is there at #5, unless we get an incredible deal on draft day then we should take him!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:10 AM   #12
redwagonskins
Impact Rookie

I think both corners will be good for us and more importantly they want to be Redskins. If we had Sean Taylor roaming around back there too (6'2", 228, 4.4 40) he'd be able to cover receivers and knock the crap out of them.
redwagonskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #13
Dave Nelson
Camp Scrub

Springs will break your heart

As a longtime Seattle resident, let me fill you all in what you're going to get with Shawn Springs. First, he'll be hurt by the 4th exhibition game, if not the second or third. He'll give a long interview with a local columnist about how this was his year and it's so heartbreaking that he's hurt. He'll vow to still come back and have a great year. Springs loves to play the part of the big star but when he does play, you'll see a big completion with him showing up a couple seconds late time and time again. Here's another couple things to know about him. He was beaten by Terrell Owens on the infamous sharpie play in 02. Owens signed the pen in front of Springs. Did he blow a gasket? No-they have the same agent and he patted him on the butt. Also, when Emmitt Smith broke the all-time rushing record in Dallas, Springs went over and patted him too. This guy thinks he's a star but he's not. He'll be hurt and have a million excuses. This was a huge blunder by the Skins-10 million bonus-what a waste of money.
Dave Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:16 PM   #14
Jamaican'Skin
The Starter

I think Gibbs can motivate him to do better. I'm not saying he's a miracle worker, but I think Gibbs just brings something extra to the table that the 'Skins haven't had in quite a while. I think that our secondary is going to be something special, but we'll see.
Jamaican'Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #15
Dave Nelson
Camp Scrub

RE: Springs

I have all the respect in the world for Joe Gibbs but this guy is a dog, I'm sorry to have to tell you guys that. He's also a very mediocre if not poor tackler. He certainly is not worth a 10 million bonus-that was money very poorly spent by the Skins. I absolutely GUARANTEE he's hurt with something,
most likely a hamstring by August 31st.
Dave Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote