Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #211
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicnixon View Post
I really like your idea, however wasn't that the implicit plan when Gibbs came back?? The FO totally ignored Gregg Williams (who will probably land a HC job at the end of this year), so should Cowher come here, what makes you think the FO will do anything different? We have seen they are oblivious to any mistakes they make.
I was married once. I'm not anymore. Sometimes plans don't work out. Sometimes you find out you don't have what you think you had. Williams may have been treated badly or he may have brought it on himself. We really don't know.

Advertisements
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #212
atomicnixon
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
I was married once. I'm not anymore. Sometimes plans don't work out. Sometimes you find out you don't have what you think you had. Williams may have been treated badly or he may have brought it on himself. We really don't know.
Good point, we really don't know. Given the past, I suspect Gregg Williams wanted the same authority that Marty had, but being bereft of it while Gibbs was here, I think Snyder wanted it back badly. Again, thats just my opinion, we just don't know.
atomicnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:07 AM   #213
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
This is a point I do not understand how fans do not.....grasp. WE do not know what goes on behind the scenes. IN the FO. We are quick to accuse, indict and sentence when we have NO idea how things....really go down in the FO...........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #214
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn on the 4th of July View Post
"some fans just dont understand that being a great redskin player under joe Gibbs doesnt equate to being the best HC for this team since Joe Gibbs."

The criticisms leveled against Grimm as a candidate for HC are very fair (many of the items in my checklist were intended as a joke), but I actually think the risk in picking him is worth the reward. Here are some highlights from his bio that I think are most relevant to the needs of the team (I couldn't post a link because I haven't posted enough threads yet):
  • He joined the Steelers staff in 2001 as only the second offensive line coach in Bill Cowher's tenure and made an instant impact in developing the Pittsburgh’s offensive line. Grimm's value to the coaching staff was recognized by Cowher, who promoted Grimm to assistant head coach prior to the 2004 season, the only coach to hold that title under Cowher.
  • In 2008, Grimm’s five regular offensive linemen started all 20 games during the regular season and postseason including Super Bowl XLIII. The offense finished with a top five ranking (4th overall) for the second consecutive season and rookie running back Tim Hightower set a franchise rookie mark with 10 rushing touchdowns.
  • (In 2007) His offensive line allowed only 24 sacks, 6th best in the NFL and the fewest given up by the Cardinals since 1978 (22). Grimm’s offensive line also paved the way for running back Edgerrin James to rush for 1,222 yards, the fifth best total in team history. The Cardinals offense finished with the 5th best passing attack in the NFL and threw for a team record 32 touchdowns.
  • The 2006 Steelers offensive line helped pave the way for running back Willie Parker to gain 1,494 yards and 13 touchdowns on 337 carries (4.4 yard avg.) and earn his first Pro Bowl selection. Pittsburgh’s offense finished the 2006 season with the 10th best rushing attack in the NFL, helping to give the Steelers the 7th ranked total offense in the league.
  • Under Grimm’s guidance in 2005, the Super Bowl champion Steelers averaged nearly 140 yards rushing per game during the regular season to rank fifth in the NFL while also grinding out 181 rushing yards in their Super Bowl XL victory over the Seattle Seahawks.
  • He is credited with the development of Washington tackles Jon Jansen and five-time Pro Bowler Chris Samuels, who each earned starting spots as rookies on the Redskins' offensive line.
And of his 4 Super Bowl rings: yes, none were earned as a head coach. However, he can inspire players with his rings earned as a player, the fourth ring means he's seen what it takes to coach a Super Bowl winner, and he was only a few plays away from having a fifth ring with the Cardinals.

The Cardinals rise to legitimacy coincided with Kurt Warner's rejuvination, which has to be credited in part to the O-linemen watching his back and the running backs shouldering a huge part of the offensive load. One of those RBs was a past-his prime Edgerrin James! Kurt Warner! Edgerrin James!!!

He's still number one on my list for head coach, but I'll accept offensive coordinator under Cowher, and that's it. Props to the guy who first brought up Grimm as a potential candidate much earlier in this post. I never would have dug deeper.

There may be reasons why Grimm has never been a head coach, but not all of those reasons are necessarily his fault. He has consistently improved the teams he has been a part of. Period. The fact that he is a Washington legend is merely a bonus.

We're going to have an all-new line next season, and our quarterback is going to be Jason Campbell or "the new guy," both needing serious protection. Our running back is going to be Clinton Portis or "the new guy." Why not pick up the man who kept Kurt Warner and Edgerrin James relevant for a few extra seasons?

We can pick up a guy who can hold his clipboard with a ring on every finger except his thumb. We can pick up a guy who can tell stories about what the town and the fans used to be like when we weren't just winning, but other teams were afraid of us. All of the available head coaches coming out of the broadcast booth were either fired, or their fire for being a coach had cooled enough for them to walk away from the game. That doesn't sit well with me. Grimm has never been demoted and he has a solid resume of improving the players under his command.

Nothing I've mentioned except his ability to connect with our current players has anything to do with Joe Gibbs. Since 1992, I've been one of those "next year will be our year" guys. Well, 2010 won't be our year, no matter who we bring in. This isn't about being the next Joe Gibbs. This is about playing the best football we can with the roster we have. I'll say it again: Grimm created an atmosphere of success for Kurt Warner and Edgerrin James. Kurt Warner played in the Super Bowl. In 2009. For the Arizona Cardinals.

Grimm is a solid coach and the best candidate for HC. The only thing that will convince me otherwise is confirmed evidence of communication, intellectual or character defects that would obviously prevent him from being successful.

Your move, Grimm doubters.

Great read on Russ Grimm, but one thing that is overlooked in your post. The organization drafted talented lineman, we piss on drafting lineman. So he has stuff to work with. I dont think he could come here and make this class of clowns do much better than what buges is doing.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #215
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

I just don't get all the love for Russ Grimm. Never underestimate the power of nostalgia.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #216
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I got to thinking about Shanahan since people have bursted my bubble with Marty and figured that if Shanahan is brought in he most likely would bring in his son from the Texans. I think they had a prime time game recently which I failed to look at with the mind set that the offense they use may show up here so I looked at the stats on NFL.com. Their not that impressive. Yes better then the Skins but not a whole lot better. I think they were middle of the pack in a lot of their stats except passing which was like top 10. The thing I noticed though is their rushing is below ours. I think they were like 30th in rushing.

Maybe dad Shanahan would help him out with some of these issues. My other concern is how many of the coaching staff he had in Denver would he be able to bring to Washington? We definitly would need the O-line coach unless he has someone else he knows who would be just as good or better. Would any of the coach's that stayed in Denver be available to come to Washington or are they unavailable due to contracts.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #217
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
are you suggesting that they already have secret deals in place somewhere?
I'm suggesting something seems off, but I have nothing to base it on
Old 11-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #218
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Personally I would like someone thats tough and established while not wanting to much power when it comes to making personnel decisions. Right now I think the Gruden/Allen combo would be our best bet, thats assuming of course that Gruden has an out clause.
Adam Schefter on Cowherd yesterday said that Gruden's new deal with ESPN forbids him from taking a coaching job in 2010. So he's definitely out.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #219
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Adam Schefter on Cowherd yesterday said that Gruden's new deal with ESPN forbids him from taking a coaching job in 2010. So he's definitely out.
He's not necessarily forbidden, but it would be nearly impossible in 2010 and highly improbable in 2011.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #220
MTK
\m/

So does he have an out clause or not? Schefter said there's a less than zero % chance Gruden is back as a HC next year, and in all likelihood we won't see him until 2012 at the earliest.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #221
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
So does he have an out clause or not? Schefter said there's a less than zero % chance Gruden is back as a HC next year, and in all likelihood we won't see him until 2012 at the earliest.
I don't know the specifics quite honestly, just have heard that if he wants out it could happen but it would cost him so much it wouldn't be worth it. But again I don't know any details
Old 11-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #222
MTK
\m/

Ahh ok, but of course any team that wants him could agree to pick up part of all of the penalty he would face.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #223
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Ahh ok, but of course any team that wants him could agree to pick up part of all of the penalty he would face.
I suppose, but I think Schefter is right that there's almost no chance. That's what most people here are saying.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #224
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ya know what you all are pissing me off, raining on my parade! Did you all plan this?

First off was Matty ( ) with his Shottenheimer won't be coming back. Then when I come back I see Matty pointing out that Marty has no wish to be a GM or HC ever again. Thanks friend.

Then freddy continues with the whole "don't be supprised it Zorn is retained".

Then 12th has to convincingly agree.

Then someone has to throw the aged old Blache in the mix for HC.

Thanks. Appreciate it. Better yet why hasn't someone mentioned Fassel? Definitly send me over the edge.
I maintain, I don't think Zorn is gone "no matter what." The only caveat would be, as SS has mentioned, if Shanahan and his crew come to D.C. Gruden sounds like he's out, and I never thought Holmgren was a serious candidate for the gig to begin with. But you never know. Cowher, I guess it could happen but not likely it seems. Tony Dungy ain't coming here for sure.

So after you get through the top three or four big names, who's really left? And equally as important, who's seriously interested? A few guys that are a little better than Jim Zorn? Unless we're bringing in someone with a lot playoff experience or Super Bowls under their belt, I'm leaning 60-40 for Zorn staying.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #225
12thMan
MVP

My judgement has been kinda whack recently though. Afterall I was 99% convinced that CantonLegend was Clinton Portis. LOL I'll never forget that one.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote