Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
davy
Impact Rookie

Re: Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I give very little credit to Lewis. The improved offense is due to better OL play and by putting a RB in the game who is not just looking for somewhere to fall.
You need to pay more attention.

Advertisements
Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Giving Credit Where Credit's Due: Offensive Stats Before and After the Sherm Lewis Hire

It's one freakin game. Plus one TD was scored on teams. The offense looks better but I would hardly say it's "taking off". Let's remember Denver had to play on Mon. night and then turn around and travel across the country and play a 1pm game. Plus their QB got hurt and didn't play the 2nd half. We got all the breaks last week. Won't be the case Sun. But it's nice to see us not wasting TO's and having confusion on the sidelines...but that's something you should never see from a professional team anyway. But no question Lewis is doing a very nice job.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
FRPLG
MVP

I think an offense has so many moving parts that improvement can rarely be attributed to any one change. We clearly have built some confidence...that could be because they had so little confidence in Zorn before. I also think the play calling has seemed less predictable. I don't think the overall strategy looks any different but the execution of that strategy has shifted slightly. Plus I think guys are just playing better...maybe due to the confidence. Put it this way...Lewis has to get some credit at least...not all though. If the line can solidify into something approaching consistently average and we keep the running game on track I can see us winning more than losing down the stretch. Teams are going to start stacking again on us soon though and force us to try and pass to win. They have to be preparing for that.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Yeah, the amazing part is the Redskins having been mismanaging the clock for years and since Lewis took over, we have called no stupid time outs, and no delays of game that I can remember. It realy makes very little sense, but i will take it.
The only dumb time out was in last weeks game on the fake FG. I think we only had 10 men on the field and Daves was a no show.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
redsk1
The Starter

Just purely on what I've seen since Sherman took over, it looks like we're a little better offensively. Is that the only reason? I doubt it, but SL deserves some credit.

As for it making VC look better, I don't know about that. We've only won 1 game recently and that was against a 2nd string qb who hasn't played in years. If we put together a 3+ game win streak...maybe. VC has earned the firing that's coming to him. Bad coaching choices. Bad drafts. Bad record. Bad publicity and questionable ethical behavior.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #21
12thMan
MVP

I've also noticed that we're having less holding and offsides penalties along the offensive line. I wouldn't attribute that directly to Sherm Lewis, but it is an indication that guys are a little more focused before the snap.

Good play calling and execution breeds focus and confidence.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The only dumb time out was in last weeks game on the fake FG. I think we only had 10 men on the field and Daves was a no show.
but as a special teams play that call was on JZ. I don't want to point fingers, but JZ has a definite delay factor when it comes to calling plays that is not seen when Lewis or Smith are responsible for it. JZ takes over at the 2 minute drill also, and you can see the slowness creep in. I think JZ could be a good HC, but I would not want him having play calling as a responsibility.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Whoa whoa, let's not give him the key to the city yet. I think Portis out and Levi in is a big help as well. Also what about the factor, that the Skins finally relaxed because everyone completely wrote them off.

Also, how bout Orton getting hurt? I am pretty sure we may have lost if he was in the entire game. Not sold yet, let's see what we do next week
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #24
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
It's one freakin game. Plus one TD was scored on teams. The offense looks better but I would hardly say it's "taking off". Let's remember Denver had to play on Mon. night and then turn around and travel across the country and play a 1pm game. Plus their QB got hurt and didn't play the 2nd half. We got all the breaks last week. Won't be the case Sun. But it's nice to see us not wasting TO's and having confusion on the sidelines...but that's something you should never see from a professional team anyway. But no question Lewis is doing a very nice job.
That is exactly what I was going to say.
Amazing! You win one game and suddenly credit is due? Come on!
I call BS. Whats next? Handing out trophy's for second place? We are finally approaching the level of play of a professional team. We were at rock bottom. There is only one way to go but up.
I amazed at what a losers attitude we have developed as a team and fan base. You would think we have never won a game or a past super bowl? We win a game or two and we start handing our credit?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #25
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Lewis has been positive influence on the Redskins, which means he was a good hire.

But the offensive improvement is more progression towards the mean rather than individual involvement. Doesn't mean that Lewis hasn't helped with that, because there's tangible ways that you can see where he's improved the team. But the offense was going to improve whether we hired him or not.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

One game at a time. You have to win one first before you can win two then three then four and so on.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Who knew even Wachenheim was designing plays?

Racking it up in the red zone | Washington Examiner
He mentioned before the season he might have some sort of role and wasn't afraid to speak up if he had ideas. Liberty ran a pro-style offense, WCO style, he really helped that program out. Of course bringing in Rocco didn't hurt either.

Friday, May 29: Scott Wachenheim On Becoming An NFL Coach

Thursday, February 5: The New Tight Ends Coach Does NOT Balance Rocks
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Like someone else said i'm more impressed w/ how the staff has responded to the adjustments. Things have tightened up rather than fallen apart...i think there's plenty of credit to go around.

...too many variables right meow to really say what's made the offense better. Oline improvements. Betts and Rock running hard. The rookies contributing a few more plays. I think if the offense can still move the ball at the end of the season (once everyone has seen tape on Lewis' offensive schemes/playcalling) then he def gets more credit.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #29
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i still need more, granted we are getting more production i don't notice a huge change in the style of offense the biggest change i have seen is in personel, i think we would be dead in the water if portis and williams were still in, but with betts and levi we seem to have a life

i'm not saying he hasn't done anything, but i need to see more than what we have so far, we looked real good against the broncos, let's keep that going, then credit will be given where credit is due

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
over the mountain
Playmaker

im starting to buy into the idea that it takes the nfl atleast 6 weeks to catch up to a new coach after watching JZ last year, josh mcdaniel this year and sherm to some degree as well.

but like gtripp said, the offense was bound to get better than 13 ppg, even if that paltry offensive output was against the worst defenses in the game and the 17, 17 and 27 scores were against better defenses.

go skins!!