Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #31
hail_2_da_skins
Impact Rookie

Re: Why Are We So Divided On Jason Campbell?

Jason Campbell is an average quarterback. There are so many problems with this offense. I don't think Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady or David Rivers could compete with this makeshift offensive line, third string running back, backup tight end and pathetic group of wide receivers. Actually Campbell has been doing pretty well with the hand he has been dealt. The Skins should draft a quarterback but retain Campbell until the rookie proves he can perform better. I would not go after a free agent. There is no quick fix.

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Jason Campbell has proven himself to be a great tease with his yo yo type performances from week to week. His story equates well with the old cow & the bucket of milk saying. He does enough in some games to make you believe he's showing promise, while showing so little in others you just wish he would go away.

The production, or lack thereof from the QB position has been confounding at best for a very long time now, there are so many other concerns surrounding the position that until they are addressed the situation is going to remain muddled, and the ability to find answers unresolved. It would be too easy to submit Jason being the reason why we don't win games.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #33
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jc is what he is, an avg at best qb that needs everything around him to be great in order for him to be a winner.. He is in the middle if the pack if qb's and no I don't see him being here next season especially w a new coach.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Jason Campbell has proven himself to be a great tease with his yo yo type performances from week to week. His story equates well with the old cow & the bucket of milk saying. He does enough in some games to make you believe he's showing promise, while showing so little in others you just wish he would go away.

The production, or lack thereof from the QB position has been confounding at best for a very long time now, there are so many other concerns surrounding the position that until they are addressed the situation is going to remain muddled, and the ability to find answers unresolved. It would be too easy to submit Jason being the reason why we don't win games.
This is a problem Campbell shares with the whole team. The same thing could be said with the secondary, receiving corps, o-line, running game and playcalling. It is a rare occurence for this team to get all parts playing well at the same time. Inconsistency has become the norm. Is anyone confident in any one of these parts from week to week? I'm not. Since we signed AH, the one thing I have confidence in is QB pressure...when he plays. We have a GREAT player on the d-line now who makes the other players better. The secondary also plays better when we get pressure. What GREAT player do we have on the o-line? Everything on offense is affected by the o-line. Even playcalling. I find it hard to evaluate any offensive players performance when our o-line is made up by castoffs, UDFA's, and unretired projects. We can win some games with band-aids, innovative playcalling, or some error-free defense once in awhile....but we cannot win consistently. JC makes mistakes, but I have no idea how good he can be. Not with this o-line.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #35
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Who?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #36
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Personally, the reason I'm conflicted with him is his consistency. Sometimes he gets sacked 6 times, sometimes he has a decent showing like yesterday. Obviously the O-line has a lot to do with it. But even when we had a good O-Line at the beginning of the year he was performing average. He was still was having fumbling problems and locking onto one receiver. Just normal QB mechanical things that you would think that after 5 years, should have been fixed somewhere around year 2 or 3. I mean just quickly glancing over his stats, last year seems to have really been his peak year, he had a good year. 2007 his QB rating looks pretty.. not great and his debut year in 2006 was nothing to write home about.

The way I feel about it is if you have ever looked at JC and if for even one second wondered, "How does this guy have a starting job" Something's wrong.

When does "staying medium" and accepting average as "good enough" become not enough?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #37
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy View Post
I have a problem with that last line. Our defense gives up only one score all game and it's their fault we lose? REALLY? C'mon man, JC has got to be able to put up more than 6 points in a game like that... The O has to be able to consistently score in the 20's for us to make the next step towards respectability .
But here is the thing he also has limited tools he is down to his 3rd string RB, 2nd year TE last strand of O-linemen. Name one QB going through this NOW or has been going through throughout his career.......nobody only in DC will you see this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #38
Nomad

Expectations are so high, because where he was drafted...... but let's remember who drafted him! This is a Gibb's guy, joe could have gotten a much polished aaron rodgers, but he gambled on Campbell was the guy, and again, we are paying for some of Joe drafts..........
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #39
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
This is a problem Campbell shares with the whole team. The same thing could be said with the secondary, receiving corps, o-line, running game and playcalling. It is a rare occurence for this team to get all parts playing well at the same time. Inconsistency has become the norm. Is anyone confident in any one of these parts from week to week? I'm not. Since we signed AH, the one thing I have confidence in is QB pressure...when he plays. We have a GREAT player on the d-line now who makes the other players better. The secondary also plays better when we get pressure. What GREAT player do we have on the o-line? Everything on offense is affected by the o-line. Even playcalling. I find it hard to evaluate any offensive players performance when our o-line is made up by castoffs, UDFA's, and unretired projects. We can win some games with band-aids, innovative playcalling, or some error-free defense once in awhile....but we cannot win consistently. JC makes mistakes, but I have no idea how good he can be. Not with this o-line.
great post 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #40
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Maybe the mistake was switching Campbell to a West Coast (and yes I know he ran it one year in college) when he had just spent three NFL years learning the Gibbs/Saunders' system
Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #41
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Maybe the mistake was switching Campbell to a West Coast (and yes I know he ran it one year in college) when he had just spent three NFL years learning the Gibbs/Saunders' system
Isnt that what all but the most die-hard Campbell apologists have been saying for the past two years? Campbells a square peg and the WCO is a round hole. It was utter foolishness of Cerrato to try and fit them together.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #42
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
great post 53
Thanks RW. I think having a consistently good, talented o-line would make things a lot clearer.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #43
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

He's been gaining back good ground with me.. but kind of reminds me of Cutler in that he'll make a great play and then flub up for awhile. Skipping passes off of the ground, overthrowing, throwing to the wrong side. I'm not in the get him out of here camp, but either he doesn't 1) quite have it or 2) zorn isn't coaching him up the way he needs to

I'd say he's still hurt too
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #44
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
People are so divided on Campbell because narrow-minded/Snyder-like fans believe that he's the only reason we're not doing well, and also believe that those of us who don't think like this are Campbell apologists.
Somebody not liking Campbell does NOT mean that they think that he is the only reason.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #45
RedskinPete
The Starter

Jason may have played his best game vs dallas. Very good job Jason! I have not been on Campbells side much but I loved the way he played. If he was like this most weeks we wouldn't be taking about him at all!
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote