Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

I must have missed yesterday's game...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: I must have missed yesterday's game...

I think the OP's point, and it is accurate, is that our defense has a habit of giving up points at the end of a close game, think Rams last year, 49'ers last year. If our offense would blow out other teams then it would not be an issue, and would be considered garbage time (we know about those right?) But I think it is a consistent trend of this defense to give up points not only on the last, but also the first drives of the game. Think back to the first drive yesterday. Dallas went down the field with EASE. It was only a fluke Barber fumble that stopped that drive at the 20. Then the D locks down, like it can, but come the last drive of the 4th quarter, bang, zip powee, the Cowboys move it with ease. I don't get it. I think our D should be able to shutout offenses that are struggling (like the cowboys yesterday) but somehow, as good as they are, they find a way to diminish their effort.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #32
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think the OP's point, and it is accurate, is that our defense has a habit of giving up points at the end of a close game, think Rams last year, 49'ers last year. If our offense would blow out other teams then it would not be an issue, and would be considered garbage time (we know about those right?) But I think it is a consistent trend of this defense to give up points not only on the last, but also the first drives of the game. Think back to the first drive yesterday. Dallas went down the field with EASE. It was only a fluke Barber fumble that stopped that drive at the 20. Then the D locks down, like it can, but come the last drive of the 4th quarter, bang, zip powee, the Cowboys move it with ease. I don't get it. I think our D should be able to shutout offenses that are struggling (like the cowboys yesterday) but somehow, as good as they are, they find a way to diminish their effort.
I think at least sometimes they are just pooped from being on the field much of the day and thus are vulnerable late in the game.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #33
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I think at least sometimes they are just pooped from being on the field much of the day and thus are vulnerable late in the game.
Maybe, but yesterday our Offense had the ball for some nice drives, I think. you have to expect to be on the field 30 minutes right?. and our O was getting torn up with injuries, the D only had Hall i believe. I don't know, I just think the d could have and should have shown Dallas whose their daddy!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #34
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Maybe, but yesterday our Offense had the ball for some nice drives, I think. you have to expect to be on the field 30 minutes right?. and our O was getting torn up with injuries, the D only had Hall i believe. I don't know, I just think the d could have and should have shown Dallas whose their daddy!
They did for every single drive except one. Can't fault them for allowing 7 points in 4 quarters. They get ZERO help from our pathetic offense.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #35
12thMan
MVP

Yeah, the notion that our defense somehow let us down or didn't come through is ridiculous.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #36
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
It would have been a great ending if they would have. I know exactly what you mean C, but considering we played without AH I thought they played very well. Orakpo almost had Homo sacked and the refs missed an illegal receiver downfield call, plus the D held them scoreless for most of the game. The D shouldn't have to play a perfect game for us to win. It's frustrating as hell.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Anyone that's upset with our offense is STUPID.

Name one other NFL team that can be without:
1) Pro Bowl LT
2) Pro Bowl RB
3) Pro Bowl TE
4) Starting RG
5) Back-up RG
6) Back-up RB

I know every team has injuries, but what other team has anywhere close to decimation of our offense? It wasn't very good to begin with, and I don't expect it to be very good now.

I view the rest of the season as a good try-out for the back-ups, and a good chance for the WR's to get more practice running routes. Maybe FDavis practicing blocking. And Jason Campbell - well, trying not to get hurt. We have no chance on making the playoffs, may as well get a good draft pick.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I will say this though...our defense is not the same without AH. He's an absolute difference maker
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #39
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
Anyone that's upset with our offense is STUPID.

Name one other NFL team that can be without:
1) Pro Bowl LT
2) Pro Bowl RB
3) Pro Bowl TE
4) Starting RG
5) Back-up RG
6) Back-up RB

I know every team has injuries, but what other team has anywhere close to decimation of our offense? It wasn't very good to begin with, and I don't expect it to be very good now.

I view the rest of the season as a good try-out for the back-ups, and a good chance for the WR's to get more practice running routes. Maybe FDavis practicing blocking. And Jason Campbell - well, trying not to get hurt. We have no chance on making the playoffs, may as well get a good draft pick.
And how was the offense playing when all those players were healthy?? Exactly. 100% healthy or really banged up, this offense is bad.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #40
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
And how was the offense playing when all those players were healthy?? Exactly. 100% healthy or really banged up, this offense is bad.
Yeah it's not like injuries have killed the production of the offense, they stunk even before the injuries. 6 points is piss poor production no matter who is out there.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #41
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Not that it matters, but ESPN just showed that Dallas had an ineligible receiver downfield on the TD pass and the officials didn't catch it. I don't blame our loss on that, it's just typical, that's all.
oh man, I was yelling that at the screen too! I'm honestly not sure what constitutes an ineligible reciever. It seems on a lot of screen passes the linemen are over the line just by a yard or two well before the ball is thrown.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #42
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The only reason the D gives up drives when we can not afford them to is because the o can never score enough points so we have a two score lead. So evertime the other team takes the field they can take the lead by scoring thus making it look like the D cannot make a stand.
Yeah I have to agree. It's not often over the past few years we've seen the offense close things out and give the D a cushion to work with. The D is always put in a position where they have to protect a narrow lead and they have little margin for error.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #43
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I will say this though...our defense is not the same without AH. He's an absolute difference maker
Agreed. I actually think that all thing being equal we would've won w/him. For all the effort of the D, there was still very little pass rush. Even on the last td, Carter almost gets Romo, but the play was made by Romo buying time, the coverage was there.

If you cover for that long, your guys up front have got to get on the qb. On so many plays Romo had time, or was able to step up easily. With AH in there the pressure & the run d would've been different from the get go.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #44
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Defense played great on Sunday, but the Cowboys defense was at least twice as good. Give them credit: the effort from all 11 guys was in no way lacking, and it's probably as good as they've looked this year schematically, but the Cowboys D was just twice as good.

This loss wasn't on the D, but only once in the last two years have they been able to close the deal, and that was the Philly game last season. You can count the Rams game this year as well if you like, even though the Rams never really threatened.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #45
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Yeah, the notion that our defense somehow let us down or didn't come through is ridiculous.
The counter-argument would be that the standard needs to be that they are the best defense on the field every week, given the resources we have put in them. On Sunday, they were not the best defense on the field.

But, again, that's as much about a really good defensive gameplan from Dallas as anything. It was a well, well above average performance, even including the last drive. Of course, some would say that the difference between well above average and elite is the difference between a winner and a loser.