Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Great Article that sums up the Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Great Article that sums up the Redskins

Hey guys,

I just stumbled over this article. One of the best I ever read. I agree with nearly everything in the article. They blatantly call out the front office for having starters on the team who are holding back the talent. Portis is mentioned and the writer openly wonders what the record would be right now if only Betts or Cartwright started for the team.

Read this at your leisure, it is a good read.

washingtonpost.com

Advertisements
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: Great Article that sums up the Redskins

Nice read even if it was written by Sally. I mentioned last week that maybe we were playing the wrong people. I tend to agree.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Thank god we didn't get Cutler or Sanchez...all those anti campbell people have a point, he is not going to single handedly take a team to the super bowl. But if they pause to think about it, Campbell is not the main problem. He is only okay, but when you consider the dysfunction surrounding him, okay is pretty damn good. The real problem is the d***s in the front office who don't learn from the giants, vikings, and colts and don't build up the trenches. They don't have good coaching, don't develop in house talent, don't build through the draft etc. They essentially take every good habit, and don't do it, ensuring a lackluster, flimsy, dysfunctional team...cheers

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
djnemo65
Playmaker

Couple of issues. One, what is she talking about when she says that Hanyesworth and Hall are not more important to the team than Fletcher? No shit. The article's thesis is that the Redskins hurt themselves by pursing big name free agents, but last time I checked all three of those guys were high profile free agent signings. Does she realize that we did not draft Fletcher? Does she also not realize that Haynesworth has been worth every penny so far? Is she saying that our free agent signings have been bad, except when they've been good? Because that's pretty goddamned dumb.

Second, the best offensive linemen in the league are not searching for loose change, they are paid as highly as anyone except a handfull of future HOF QB's. Remember a mediocre guard like Dockery getting 50 million a few seasons ago? This is the kind of throw away comment that undermines her entire argument by making it look like she doesn't have a good understanding of the NFL.

Third, her analysis of Campbell is at best inchoate. If her point was that Campbell is probably about as good as Cutler and Sanchez and that we are better off having him and Orakpo than either of those guys, fine, I agree. But she seems to be saying the Redskins should be resigning him. OK, that's not a position that is widely held (as far as I know we weren't "outbid' for Cutler, Josh McDaniels didn't think Campbell was someone he could work with) but if that is what you think fine. But you have to do more than trot out his mediocre QB rating and talk about how hard he tries.

We all know the Redskins have big problems, but that's no excuse for printing spaghetti noodle logic and outright falsehood in a newspaper.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

This team is cleaning HOUSE after this yr... I think guys like CP, JC, ARE, C.Rogers, Fred Smoot, Betts, and most of our OLIne could be gone.. Zorn and Cerrato will both be gone also. I hope we can still get a Solid HC, but the longer DS waits to let Zorn go, the less chance we may have getting guys like Shanahan or Cowher.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
r08kessl
Camp Scrub

Does it seem to anyone else that the league is trying to help the skins front office from looking any more stupid than it already is. The Bengals refused two first rounders for ochocinco before a season in which he performed mediocre at best, and then the Bronco's went with the Bear's over the skins for Cutler. Overall I'd say if not for the kindness of others, vinny and danny could look even more dumb right now than they already do.
r08kessl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post
Couple of issues. One, what is she talking about when she says that Hanyesworth and Hall are not more important to the team than Fletcher? No shit. The article's thesis is that the Redskins hurt themselves by pursing big name free agents, but last time I checked all three of those guys were high profile free agent signings. Does she realize that we did not draft Fletcher? Does she also not realize that Haynesworth has been worth every penny so far? Is she saying that our free agent signings have been bad, except when they've been good? Because that's pretty goddamned dumb.

Second, the best offensive linemen in the league are not searching for loose change, they are paid as highly as anyone except a handfull of future HOF QB's. Remember a mediocre guard like Dockery getting 50 million a few seasons ago? This is the kind of throw away comment that undermines her entire argument by making it look like she doesn't have a good understanding of the NFL.

Third, her analysis of Campbell is at best inchoate. If her point was that Campbell is probably about as good as Cutler and Sanchez and that we are better off having him and Orakpo than either of those guys, fine, I agree. But she seems to be saying the Redskins should be resigning him. OK, that's not a position that is widely held (as far as I know we weren't "outbid' for Cutler, Josh McDaniels didn't think Campbell was someone he could work with) but if that is what you think fine. But you have to do more than trot out his mediocre QB rating and talk about how hard he tries.

We all know the Redskins have big problems, but that's no excuse for printing spaghetti noodle logic and outright falsehood in a newspaper.
To her "finer" points in the article, I agree with you for sure. Although her overall assessment of the importance of having the lesser paid yet harder working nucleus type players shouldn't be understated. She's dead on there. Look at the Pittsburgh, Indy, and NE's of the world. There's a reason those teams can maximize talent like no other. Guys buy in to a locker room. Guys take pay-cuts to play for the Patriots. Some teams just know how to win. Other teams just know how to land talent. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnemo65 View Post

I agree 100% this article is just like the other's this season. As far as JC goes.. Why in the hell would we resign him?????? Campbell is not any good and his overall record shows that. We diss Tony Romo but in all honesty I would take him over JC in a second. Romo is like 35-15 as a starter.. JC is well under .500. If we don't have a new QB in '10 we will be in the same boat next yr.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
rbanerjee23
The Starter

^^^ lawlz at the comment above, yeah ur right...i don't know what kind of frenzy we would be is we gave up the house for cutler and he came in and threw 18 ints or we got sanchez and he was ranked last in the league in quarterback rating. Vinny should be thanking his lucky stars that he 'settled' for keeping Campbell

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
^^^ lawlz at the comment above, yeah ur right...i don't know what kind of frenzy we would be is we gave up the house for cutler and he came in and threw 18 ints or we got sanchez and he was ranked last in the league in quarterback rating. Vinny should be thanking his lucky stars that he 'settled' for keeping Campbell
You'r jumping the gun way to fast on Sanchez... let's remember he's a rookie! You won't be saying this if he turns into a star qb. Cutler in my mind is still better overall than JC, Cutler has no running game, a poor Oline and absolutely the worst recieving corp in the league. JC has proven his worth in this league, I like his work ethic and attitude but he's a terrible QB.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #11
djnemo65
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
To her "finer" points in the article, I agree with you for sure. Although her overall assessment of the importance of having the lesser paid yet harder working nucleus type players shouldn't be understated. She's dead on there. Look at the Pittsburgh, Indy, and NE's of the world. There's a reason those teams can maximize talent like no other. Guys buy in to a locker room. Guys take pay-cuts to play for the Patriots. Some teams just know how to win. Other teams just know how to land talent. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Well, I mean, yeah, we know. We all know. Columnists and message boards have been saying exactly this for years. Anytime the Redskins come up anywhere, from a bar to ESPN, people say exactly that. So when Sally, who really bugs me, writes an article that is half what everybody already knows to be true and have been saying for years, and half nonsense, I'm calling her on the nonsense.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Big Oh
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
You'r jumping the gun way to fast on Sanchez... let's remember he's a rookie! You won't be saying this if he turns into a star qb. Cutler in my mind is still better overall than JC, Cutler has no running game, a poor Oline and absolutely the worst recieving corp in the league. JC has proven his worth in this league, I like his work ethic and attitude but he's a terrible QB.

I still dont why people think Campbell is a terrible QB. He is better than 80% of the QBs in REDSKINS HISTORY! Who were the best QB we have had in DC, Sammy Baugh, Sonny Jurgenson, Doug Williams, Joe Thiesmann Mark Rypien afte that nobody. Campbell may not be an elite QB but until we get someone better on the roster we need resign him and dont bet the farm on a draft pick or trade for some gunslinging turnover machine like Cutler. I have even heard some folks pinning for Michael Vick, he can through hard but he cant hit water from a submarine.
RE-SIGN Campbell his numbers are solid on a hollow team!
Big Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
redskin37
Special Teams

Very well said. I just hope Dan S. read this article.
redskin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #14
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08kessl View Post
Does it seem to anyone else that the league is trying to help the skins front office from looking any more stupid than it already is. The Bengals refused two first rounders for ochocinco before a season in which he performed mediocre at best, and then the Bronco's went with the Bear's over the skins for Cutler. Overall I'd say if not for the kindness of others, vinny and danny could look even more dumb right now than they already do.
Yeah you cracked the da vinci code there, sleep with one eye open tonight.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #15
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Are you saying that Campbell has a good running game, solid o line, and great recievers. You can't use that excuse for cutler and say it doesn't pertain to Jason.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote