Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Real Leader of this Team and Some Radical Ideas

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
Bill B
Impact Rookie

Re: The Real Leader of this Team and Some Radical Ideas

Vinny has to go and we need a house clearing - why? Let me ask this - if Vinny and the Front Office and Zorn are so great how come the Redskins have one of the highest payrolls while also having one of the worst records? Sorry but a lot of people including a ton of posters on this board were screaming that we needed to address the offensive line and yet how often does this team invest its draft picks in the past 7 years on offensive lineman? Also every NFL team has got injuries - yes the Skins have a lot of them this year but I continue to say that the average life of an NFL player is 3.5 years - so if you build a major portion of your roster on players that exceed this average age you are simply playing Russian roulette with a lot more bullets.

While I hate the constant churn I think this is the best opportunity to clear house and start the first building block by selecting the best GM money can buy. Once you have this GM in place give him the keys - overspend first on your front office and scouting department, and than when this is in place let the GM hire the coach. All Dan Snyder would do is focus on the marketing of the team and signing paychecks. I think this give us the best chance of building a sustainable and competitive team year in and year out.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #32
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Zorn will probably get a job as a QB coach rather quickly, he may even get an offensive coordinator position. He needs some more experience I think before he's given another HC job.

He's, by all accounts, a very nice guy. But there is a prevailing feeling from those who are around the team that one reason the coaches like him is because they can kind of walk all over him. Meaning basically that they'd rather have a Zorn who won't be a taskmaster than someone one who will be more demanding and more of a disciplinarian.

Two things concern me about Zorn as head coach. One is the obvious with the playcalling. The other is that when times were bleak early in the season it wasn't Zorn that stepped up and said this is on me. It was Blache.
I've pretty much heard the same thing. The players like him and maybe for all the wrong reasons. I do get the sense that last year's second round picks and the Maryland guys like it here. Still, as freddyg12 pointed out, unless we hit the jackpot with the next coach and basically go deep into the playoffs his first year, you're looking at a transition period that might not be worth it. And if Shanahan comes here, we can wave Sherm Lewis bye-bye.

If --big if--Zorn can grow from this season's setbacks and mistakes, I don't think there's any reason to believe this isn't already a 10-6 team. Heck, a two of our losses can be placed squarely on the foot of Suisham and couple of flukely plays. But that's all water under the bridge now.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #33
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I think Vick is showing flashes of his old self and what he could do.

Vick, who is arguably still in his prime, used to be a nightmare for def. coordinators because of the plays that he could make with his arm or feet.

2 years out of the game hurt him, but he is getting back slowly, and i think a full offseason of work and a full training camp and he is back to his old self again. He will start next year somewhere...i'm sure of it.
Vick is showing flashes in spurts, not for 60 minutes. Woe unto the team that starts Michael Vick next year.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #34
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Wow. You guys actually took him seriously and gave serious comments which lasted atleast 3 pages.

I couldn't get past "Zorn said from the get go..."

I know it's impolite but I honestly don't want to read a 4-5 paragraph write up about how we should keep Zorn or how we should keep Cerrato or worse keep status quo.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #35
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Wow. You guys actually took him seriously and gave serious comments which lasted atleast 3 pages.

I couldn't get past "Zorn said from the get go..."

I know it's impolite but I honestly don't want to read a 4-5 paragraph write up about how we should keep Zorn or how we should keep Cerrato or worse keep status quo.
it's not, no one does

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #36
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

I can't believe I am saying this ... With the losses in the past few weeks and the effort were getting, I'm not against keeping Zorno ... everyone must admit that since Sherman has come in, the Offense has actually looked like a real offense ... now I agree that VC has got to go ... but maybe just maybe this coaching staff deserves a chance ... the Z man has everyone playing there ass off and we are 3-9, that's not easy ... all the big name coaches sound good but does that mean we are starting from scratch again and drafting a shit head QB in the draft when they all seem to be overated big time .. JC has shown me a lot and the devlopment of DT,FD, & MK has been nice ... draft the hell out of 0-Line next year and this team may not be too far from a decent run ...
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 AM   #37
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Can we get a crack smoking smiley face?
LMAO!
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #38
Longtimefan
Playmaker

There are reasons for everything, and what you're saying would be ideal if you were dealing with people who understood, and took into consideration the reasons for losing. Unfortunately we're talking about a game where "all" that matters is winning and losing. Therefore it's not likely things will stay the same despite the fact some may wish it so.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I'm not sure that his record will speak for another shot at HC for Zorn. Maybe he can be OC for some time and alter his rep. I wish him well, though.

BTW very creative use of "Gano" in your user title. You win!
Thanks, you were the inspiration, so Ganamos!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #40
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The difference between when Zorn has the skins playing their ass off, and when Gibbs had them playin hard is that we won games.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 AM   #41
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Zorn will probably get a job as a QB coach rather quickly, he may even get an offensive coordinator position. He needs some more experience I think before he's given another HC job.

He's, by all accounts, a very nice guy. But there is a prevailing feeling from those who are around the team that one reason the coaches like him is because they can kind of walk all over him. Meaning basically that they'd rather have a Zorn who won't be a taskmaster than someone one who will be more demanding and more of a disciplinarian.

Two things concern me about Zorn as head coach. One is the obvious with the playcalling. The other is that when times were bleak early in the season it wasn't Zorn that stepped up and said this is on me. It was Blache.
I've gotten that feeling about him w/the players too, maybe just because CP called him out in public & it ends up being Zorn that was backpedaling.

Maybe he's a coach that will always need strong personalities at top positions, like Blache & Danny Smith. Maybe Gray as well. I just feel like it's a shame to drop him right when his offense, what he was originally hired for, is beginning to gell & should be solid right off the bat next year.

I know it may sound counterintuitive, but I think Blache leaving might be a blessing in disguise.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #42
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
I can't believe I am saying this ... With the losses in the past few weeks and the effort were getting, I'm not against keeping Zorno ... everyone must admit that since Sherman has come in, the Offense has actually looked like a real offense ... now I agree that VC has got to go ... but maybe just maybe this coaching staff deserves a chance ... the Z man has everyone playing there ass off and we are 3-9, that's not easy ... all the big name coaches sound good but does that mean we are starting from scratch again and drafting a shit head QB in the draft when they all seem to be overated big time .. JC has shown me a lot and the devlopment of DT,FD, & MK has been nice ... draft the hell out of 0-Line next year and this team may not be too far from a decent run ...
Vinny? Zorn? is that you?

See this way of thinking has crippled us for the last 15 yrs. through the whole Norv era..."We are only one player away." Has it worked? Have we made it anywhere? No. It's time to blow it up. Zorn was so bad they brought in an outside source. It took an outside source to fix what none of the coach's already on this team could do.

You want to keep Zorn for what reason? He's making millions to sit on the side line and look good until the 2min. drill and thats where are problems are right now. We suck at the 2min. drill and the play calls during that time cause he is handling it. We could do with out him and possibly improve this team if everything else remained the same.

I'll agree Vinny must go. But the reason I say blow it up is cause #1. Vinny must go. #2. Zorn must go. #3. We need more qualified position coach's on the offensive side of the ball. The only one who has any qualification to be here is Buges and I think is old antiquated system needs to be adjusted or revamped. We need a new way of thinking in regards to the blocking scheme in the trenches. The only reason I like Shanahan is cause his OL's in Denver were awsome. They could run on almost everyone. #4. We players who are getting old and their contracts are killing us. If there is an uncapped year we need to jetison these contracts if at all possible simply to think about the teams future. Plus getting rid of some prima dona's can only help this team. Everyone practices together plays together. Teamwork.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #43
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Sorry, you lost me at "leave Vinny".
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #44
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
The difference between when Zorn has the skins playing their ass off, and when Gibbs had them playin hard is that we won games.
don't forget we had two losing seasons under gibbs.2 we went 6-10, 10-6, 5-11, 9-7

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Vinny? Zorn? is that you?

See this way of thinking has crippled us for the last 15 yrs. through the whole Norv era..."We are only one player away." Has it worked? Have we made it anywhere? No. It's time to blow it up. Zorn was so bad they brought in an outside source. It took an outside source to fix what none of the coach's already on this team could do.

You want to keep Zorn for what reason? He's making millions to sit on the side line and look good until the 2min. drill and thats where are problems are right now. We suck at the 2min. drill and the play calls during that time cause he is handling it. We could do with out him and possibly improve this team if everything else remained the same.

I'll agree Vinny must go. But the reason I say blow it up is cause #1. Vinny must go. #2. Zorn must go. #3. We need more qualified position coach's on the offensive side of the ball. The only one who has any qualification to be here is Buges and I think is old antiquated system needs to be adjusted or revamped. We need a new way of thinking in regards to the blocking scheme in the trenches. The only reason I like Shanahan is cause his OL's in Denver were awsome. They could run on almost everyone. #4. We players who are getting old and their contracts are killing us. If there is an uncapped year we need to jetison these contracts if at all possible simply to think about the teams future. Plus getting rid of some prima dona's can only help this team. Everyone practices together plays together. Teamwork.
It just hit me, all we need is another pair of eyes that could look at our 2min offense. Whoever comes in could sit in the booth with SL, and then at 2 minutes the TV crews could zoom in as they do the ceremonial changing of the headset. And of course Zorn would still have his card in front of his mouth so no one can see what he is mouthing to his headset (still think it is - would you like fries with that). All in all, we are just one situational playcaller away from CHAMPIONSHIP!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote