Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Looks like Cerrato is staying and Snyder has no intention of changing his meddling ways...

Redskins Insider - McCoy, Clausen draw Redskins' attention

Quote:
McCoy, Clausen draw Redskins' attention
Owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, recently attended a University of Texas game to scout quarterback Colt McCoy, according to sources within the organization. Cerrato also made a trip to conduct an in-person evaluation of Notre Dame junior quarterback Jimmy Clausen, who this week declared for the draft.

The belief among some at Redskins Park is that Snyder and Cerrato plan to use the team's first draft pick this year in their quest to find the Redskins' next franchise quarterback, which could signal the end of Jason Campbell's tenure with the team. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, which means the Redskins could match any offers he received.
Now, scouting is part of Cerrato's job, so that part doesn't bother me at all. However, depending on how you feel about Cerrato, there are many potentially troubling items to be found in this report. The most troubling to me are:

1) Snyder is "scouting" players.
2) Snyder is "scouting" a quarterback before hiring a head coach.

Given those two facts, it appears we're set to hire a puppet HC again. Good times, good times.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Well until the season ends and something changes it's business as usual at the Park. I wouldn't read too far into it.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

It just makes me sick to my stomach that these two continue to make decisions for this organization.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

A few things here:

I wouldn't just assume that Cerrato is staying because he went to scout some players. I mean he is the current EVP of Football (or whatever his title is) so it's only natural that he would continue to do his job until told otherwise.

The article doesn't mention all the other scouting that has been done across the country with other schools and players (such as John Skelton )

Not sure what they mean by in-person evaluation of Clausen. There really isn't much the Redskins could do before this week once Clausen declared.

I'm a bit surprised they wouldn't even try to tender Campbell and see what they can get out of him. But other people have also said that's not their intention
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
redsk1
The Starter

I don't know that I would take this to mean that VC is going to be here next year. Let's hope not. Doesn't mean VC should stop working. They're just doing some due dilegence and I'm ok w/ that.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Well until the season ends and something changes it's business as usual at the Park. I wouldn't read too far into it.
So its not atypical for owners to "scout" players with their GMs?
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I wouldn't read too much into that.. Cerrato still has a job to do and unless told otherwise part of it is to prepare for next year's draft. There have also been reports citing 'belief among some at Redskins Park' that Snyder is fed up with Cerrato and that Cerrato has bad mouthed Snyder in league circles. Wait until the dust settles in January before assessing if things have changed or not.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A few things here:

I wouldn't just assume that Cerrato is staying because he went to scout some players. I mean he is the current EVP of Football (or whatever his title is) so it's only natural that he would continue to do his job until told otherwise.
I agree with you on Cerrato scouting players. Until and unless he's relieved of his duties, its good to know he's doing his job (as opposed to doing a radio show). But Snyder's participation in the scouting trip is what bothers me. If Snyder wants to personally evaluate the guy a few weeks before the draft - fine; its his money. But going on a scouting trip during the regular season only strengthens the perception that he's a meddlesome owner. If he had any hopes of convincing head coaching prospects out there that he's changed, he can throw those out the window now.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

I don't think it's all that uncommon for owners to go along on a scouting trip, for the bigger college names at least.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

It was a no brainer that they would go after a QB.

Say a miracle happens and Campbell is kept here, they would logically get somebody to compete with him. Jason has never been "pushed" since he's been here, so they are just doing their due diligence IMO...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Longtimefan
Playmaker

This is going to be a real interesting off-season.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Campbell staying here next year is looking like an extreme longshot unfortunately.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #13
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I would like to keep Campbell, but it would have to be a decent price. I think he is......servicable under the right conditions, but not going to push Peyton out
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Keep in mind the term "scout" could be completely misconstrued here. It could be that Snyder, Cerrato, Campbell, and Fred Smith (just to throw names out there) were in Texas, saw a Longhorns game and that turns into Cerrato and Snyder were scouting McCoy
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

But what's the chances that it's a complete coincidence. Seriously. We all know these guys and how they operate. Dumbness travels together.