Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #46
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

re: Some Things Never Change (WP:RI Article)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't think it's all that uncommon for owners to go along on a scouting trip, for the bigger college names at least.

Matty:

Art Rooney doesn't go scouting. Robert Kraft doesn't go scouting. Jeffrie Lurie doesn't go scouting. Those are three NFL situations I know are the case. Their teams are pretty successful year over year...

I seriously doubt that other successful owners regularly went out to scout players on their own in past times. - - other than Jerry Jones who has been the owner AND GM of the team for the last 15 years or so. And by the way, it has been 13 years since the Cowboys won a playoff game. Oh, you can put George Halas in the bin of owners who scouted too; of course he was the head coach in addition to all of the other responsibilities... Those were simpler times.

Here is what bothers me about Snyder scouting a QB:

Back in his early years here, he boasted to the Washington Post Sunday Magazine in an article on him that HE was the one who found Patrick Ramsey and made sure the team drafted Ramsey with its first draft pick.

That tells me that Danny Boy would not know a great QB if it came up to him and bit him on the ass and announced in a loud voice, "I am a great QB!"
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Speaking of which, how much does Vinny get paid the Redskins? Oh well, personally this scares the crap out of me, in spite of the things Smootsmack has said. My absolute last bastion of hope was that Vinny would overcompensate and go after a bunch of O-Lineman in the draft, just like he did with the D-Line last year, and the recievers the year before. However if Vinny is allowed to stay then I can easily tell you how our draft is going to turn out.

1st. QB
2nd. RB
4th. LB
5th. CB
6th. K
7th. WR

He'll then go along with his annual tradition of explaining best player available and his holy draft board all while telling us what a great find Mike Williams and Levi Jones were then tell us how Heyer is a pro bowler when he bends his knees and that he thinks Samuals is coming back to play. Oh and who can forget the amazing progress Rhinehart has made. Then he'll sign one or two bargain basement free agents.

This seriously can't go on can it? I keep on reading this article and I think I'm in some drug induced nightmare. If it was just Cerrato going on recruiting trips then I could spin it but Snyder going along might as well be a vote of confidence in the teams front office structure as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm being irrational, but I won't be able to rest easy until 2011. Thats right 2011 during a one year anniversary of a Redskins Insider report explaining how Vinny has been removed from the player evaluation and selection side of the Redskins.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #48
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Put it another way...does anyone here think an incoming GM could give two shits what/who Vinny scouted? I mean, yes wouldn't an honest answer here. Vinny would struggle mightily to find gainful employment w/ any other franchise in football. He has few contacts, almost no personal skills, very little respect around the league and sounds like a lobotomy patient every time he opens his mouth. You don't keep a guy like this around and expect to be taken serious by the true professionals. Snyder has no intention of legitimizing the FO or his franchise.

^^^^^^^^More than anything else I would like to be dead wrong here.
you might be surprised

i hope so

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #49
mlmdub130
Playmaker

dirtbag noticed you skipped the 3rd pick, pretty sure we don't have a 6th either as of now, might be the 7th though can't remember

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #50
Defensewins
Playmaker

I really think Redskins fans are so used to losing now that as long as the team does not get blown out they will step off the "fire Vinny" gas pedal. I think it already has happened.
What is it that keeps Vinny employed? What!
Vinny has been with the Redskins for 10 years or so. Why?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #51
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
I really think Redskins fans are so used to losing now that as long as the team does not get blown out they will step off the "fire Vinny" gas pedal. I think it already has happened.
What is it that keeps Vinny employed? What!
Vinny has been with the Redskins for 10 years or so. Why?
because after suckin ass in san fran for a while and setting that franchise back a decade he was hired by dan snyder as a puppet

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #52
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Any possibility Snyder is in contact with his future HC and they have made suggestions that they wouldn't mind having these two QB's? So Snyder/Cerrato go out and "Scout" them out. Maybe even speak with them to see if they could work with said HC?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #53
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Any possibility Snyder is in contact with his future HC and they have made suggestions that they wouldn't mind having these two QB's? So Snyder/Cerrato go out and "Scout" them out. Maybe even speak with them to see if they could work with said HC?
possibly. and possibly that should be the new gm's job

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #54
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
dirtbag noticed you skipped the 3rd pick, pretty sure we don't have a 6th either as of now, might be the 7th though can't remember
We gave up our 3rd to get Jeremy Jarmin in the Supplimental draft prior to this year. Basically got a Rookie a year earlier to get experience for a year. Finally Cerrato did something right.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #55
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
We gave up our 3rd to get Jeremy Jarmin in the Supplimental draft prior to this year. Basically got a Rookie a year earlier to get experience for a year. Finally Cerrato did something right.
yeah i know and i actually think that was a good move but i'm pretty sure we don't have a 6th either this year

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #56
mlmdub130
Playmaker

it's jason taylor kicking us in the ass again miami has our 6th, thats what i thought

ST21
Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #57
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
possibly. and possibly that should be the new gm's job
Your failing to remember our team does things ass backwards. Instead of getting the HC and letting him pick up his OC, Snyder went out and picked up the OC and tried to look for a HC.

So I wouldn't put it past them to try a new tactic....have a QB in mind and bring in a HC, whether the QB fits the system or not.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 PM   #58
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
it's jason taylor kicking us in the ass again miami has our 6th, thats what i thought
#1- I thought we were done with the J.Taylor issue. I thought last year was the year they took our picks.

#2- If I'm wrong, then I would argue it really doesn't matter for two reasons:

A- 6th is pretty low on the draft board so unless you get a lucky pick they will usually amount to camp fodder.

B- Dirtbag has us picking up a Kicker. As we all know we picked up our future Kicker this week so we can lose that pick.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #59
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
#1- I thought we were done with the J.Taylor issue. I thought last year was the year they took our picks.

#2- If I'm wrong, then I would argue it really doesn't matter for two reasons:

A- 6th is pretty low on the draft board so unless you get a lucky pick they will usually amount to camp fodder.

B- Dirtbag has us picking up a Kicker. As we all know we picked up our future Kicker this week so we can lose that pick.
indeed we can,i was being sarcastic earlier and honsetly couldn't remember which pick we had given up, we really need a sarcastic emoticon

ST21
Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #60
mlmdub130
Playmaker

and btw they do have our 6th this year

ST21