Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #61
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Probably more likely we'll use our 2nd round pick to try to trade down.

As for OL, there's really only one T in this draft legitimately considered a top 5 pick. And that's Russel Okung. And who knows if he's there when the Redskins pick. After that there's nobody that most scouts and execs see as a bonafide T. And by that I mean LT. Trent Williams is slipping in many draft boards because he's seen as a right tackle in the NFL. OL won't be neglected, it just won't necessarily be addressed in the first round. I don't think.
I get that, but is Okung really going to be top 5? I'm not sure. The reason I said I'd love to trade down is the exact reason you stated- it's a weak OL class. I'd rather get multiple picks for our high 1st rounder and stockpile rather than rolling the dice early on an Okung.

I do NOT NOT NOT want a QB in the 1st round, but as long as we paid significant attention to OL later in the draft an in FA, I could really smile about a CJ Spiller.

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 AM   #62
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Actually it makes my point perfectly. We'd been clamoring for drafting a OL and we did. He was someone that wasn't slotted to be picked where he was but 'we drafted an OL'. Like in the '09 draft where no OL were picked for like 3 rounds but people were still up in arms we didn't choose one in the 3rd round. If there's a quality guy, get him, but don't just pick an OL for the sake of picking an OL.
I don't know. If Rinehart was the obligatory "draft an OL" pick, why take such a gamble?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #63
gusbus
Camp Scrub

JC should be back. He has played well throughout the season. Plus there are too many other holes that need to be filled. OL, RB, and DB all need to be filled before QB. I would devote this draft to those positions. If possible take CJ Spiller with 1 ( I live in SC and he is a beast). Like Portis but SPiller is explosive and could make Defenses thinking more. Then go OL in the middle rounds and CB in the late round. Or a QB in the mid late rounds like the kid from Central Mich or Ole Miss. There are some QBs next year that shoudl be good: The kids from Cincy, Washington, and Arkansas.
gusbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 AM   #64
GridIron26
Playmaker

Good article about Campbell; Jason Campbell plays well, even as Redskins have not - washingtonpost.com
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well the next few weeks will be interesting because right now we draft 6th, but when all is said and done we may be drafting as low as 15th. Which makes trading a lot easier. Right now I think the top 5 is:

1. Rams-Jimmy Clausen
2. Bucs-Russell Okung
3. Browns-Sam Bradford
4. Lions-Ndamukong Suh
5. Chiefs-Eric Berry
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 AM   #66
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

This team needs OT,G,RB,LB,QB,DB.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #67
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I don't know. If Rinehart was the obligatory "draft an OL" pick, why take such a gamble?
Just to be clear, I am not arguing the merits of drafting Rinehart, merely pointing out the notion of 'draft an OL' for the sake of drafting an OL is flawed. It's about quality players, not drafting a position.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #68
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
It is a good article but what it doesnt say is that JC is playing well now that its garbage time. Early in the season when the games still mattered for making the post-season he stunk up the place but now that nothing is on the line he's playing better.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #69
freddyg12
Playmaker

The wash post ran an article last week about Skins RBs, said they haven't drafted a rb on the first day since 2002 (Betts) I believe. I know that O line is a high priority, maybe the highest, but take a look at our RB corps. RB is a position they've neglected just like O line.

I would love to see CJ Spiller here. While I agree that rb is a position that can be filled in later rounds, if you think a guy is really special it's worth a 1st round pick. The difference w/drafting RBs is they can pay immediate dividends as a rookie. They have a shorter shelf life, but there is a lof of value in their early years, provided they're good.

IMO Spiller is worth taking w/a 1st round pick in the teens.He's an all down back & has big play potential. He can be used in the passing game to create problems for defenses like C. Johnson is used in TEnn.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #70
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I think Campbell's agent and the Redskins are secretly working on a long term deal. I think we're going to name someone General Manager this off-season and we won't be looking far to get him. I think the Redskins have Levi Jones penciled in as the starting LT for opening day 2010. I think Samuels, Betts, Randle El, Daniels, Randy Thomas, and Rock Cartwright are all gone. I think CJ Spiller will be our first pick. I think I'd rather they wait until the 2nd round and take Best or Dwyer. I think we don't take a OL before the 3rd round and we take 2 in the draft. I think I'm getting tired and need to stop rambling.
I think I need to stop reading Peter King's 10 Things I Think I Think
Smack you sound as if you have an inside track and it sounds good. I look for Levi Jones and Mike Williams to both play prominent roles in 2010. We could very easily have our RG & LT, Williams is a better player at G than he is at T. RT and depth is now key for the OL.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #71
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Smack you sound as if you have an inside track and it sounds good. I look for Levi Jones and Mike Williams to both play prominent roles in 2010. We could very easily have our RG & LT, Williams is a better player at G than he is at T. RT and depth is now key for the OL.
Really it's just mostly things I think (some of it based on other "knowledge" I guess).
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #72
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
It is a good article but what it doesnt say is that JC is playing well now that its garbage time. Early in the season when the games still mattered for making the post-season he stunk up the place but now that nothing is on the line he's playing better.
I think there's more to it than that.

He's been getting better protection, the offense & playcalling has been tightened up under Sherm Lewis, he's clearly more comfortable now that he's nearing the end of year 2 in this system, guys like Thomas & Davis have stepped up, the running game has been more effective, etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #73
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think there's more to it than that.

He's been getting better protection, the offense & playcalling has been tightened up under Sherm Lewis, he's clearly more comfortable now that he's nearing the end of year 2 in this system, guys like Thomas & Davis have stepped up, the running game has been more effective, etc.
I agree that the line has been a bit better (not much but some) and the playcalling is somewhat tighter but in the end he's more comfortable because the pressure is off. Heck, even when the pressure was sort of on vs NO late in the game he found a way to not get it done.

JC is a real conundrum because he puts up decent stats so when you look he appears to be a pretty good QB but when you watch the games you realize he does his best work when the game is, for all intents & purposes, over.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #74
MTK
\m/

The pressure is off? He's still playing for a job/contract.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #75
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
The Saints were in 'garbage time' seeking an unbeaten season? The Raiders went from beating a division leader in the Bengals and the SB Champs at their house to 'garbage time' overnight? The lengths some of you guys go to in order to not give credit when it's due is amazing.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote