Arizona's New Immigration Law

Debating with the enemy

Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #31
12thMan
MVP

Re: Arizona's New Immigration Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
The primary point to this statute is to provide for the state to take action against any locality that refuses to enforce laws already in place. This law brings a uniform state-wide policy to bear to combat the problems that AZ has been facing for years while politicians on both sides of the aisle in DC bury their heads, while trying to appeal/not offend to the Hispanic voting bloc.

In a nutshell it makes the "sanctuary cities" liable for legal action by the state for not enforcing Federal and State of Arizona law. This I'm sure is a bigger problem in AZ than it is in VA. But I live in the sanctuary city of Virginia Beach. The previous Mayor and police chief had a policy to not report illegals to ICE, in addition to the burden illegal immigrants put on the City services (police, medical, social services) two teenage girls are dead, directly because of this policy (killed by a drunk driving illegal who had been released twice before for alcohol issues).

Here's the a link to the actual text of the statutes:

Text of Arizona's Anti-Illegal Immigration Law - Part 1 | KEYTLaw

These statutes seek enforcement not only directly against illegal immigrants but also against companies that employ them.

President Obama is making a purely political play (and he damn well knows it) in misrepresenting what these statutes contain. This isn't about racism, it's about AZ protecting the people of the state from the negative consequences of illegal immigrants. Unfortunately, the murder of the rancher was the straw that broke the camels' back.
What did Obama say that misrepresented the law? To the best of my knowledge, he made some general comments about it, but never cited anything specifically that's contained therein.

As far as making politics out of this, you have reasonable Republicans coming out against this law too. This isn't a right vs. left issue. I don't see how either party gains political advantage on this one.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #32
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Go read the law so you no what your talking about. They can only question someone if they are pulled over for something else like speeding first.

know

you're
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #33
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Parade View Post
know

you're
You haven't been hear long. Youwl get used to redding firstdowns posts.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #34
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

It's a politcal ploy in that the fringe regional Republicans are attempting to force the administration to push through an immigration policy they can use as a wedge issue to siphon off independents. But it's a weak ploy, and it won't pass the Federal Court sniff test.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Rainy Parade
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethiesmanfan View Post
I am jsut trying to convey, this law is not good for anyone who does not like being pulled by police.
i agree....
but your previous post (and this one too kinda) implies that drunk drivers are among the people who dont like being pulled over and i think we all agree that they should be.
i assume you meant that if you have 2 beers and are not drunk, you don't need to be hassled by the cops on the off chance that you fail a breathalizer or something.....
Rainy Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
What did Obama say that misrepresented the law? To the best of my knowledge, he made some general comments about it, but never cited anything specifically that's contained therein.

As far as making politics out of this, you have reasonable Republicans coming out against this law too. This isn't a right vs. left issue. I don't see how either party gains political advantage on this one.
See post # 7. One thing Obama is NOT, is stupid. I'm just a guy on a messageboard and I found the info on the law in less than 5 min. Obama knows exactly what's in/not in the statutes. What he stated is certainly not something that can reasonably be assumed to happen the way they're written. For him to make the statement he did is a purely political play.

I don't know who the "reasonable Republicans" are coming out against this law, but I'll bet it's safe to assume they're pandering to a Hispanic voting bloc in their district/state. You're absolutely correct, the security of the people of the U.S. isn't a right/left issue and I'll bet you could take a handful of members from this board, on both sides of the political spectrum, and come up with a reasonable solution to the illegal immigration issue that satisifed both sides. However, for the vast majority of politicians in DC its about power and keeping their jobs. The Hispanic voting bloc is already (or will be very shortly) the largest minority voting bloc in the country. How this issue is spun is key to gaining/losing support with a good portion of this voting bloc....so I would say there is definitely politcal advantage to be had here.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #37
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
It's a politcal ploy in that the fringe regional Republicans are attempting to force the administration to push through an immigration policy they can use as a wedge issue to siphon off independents. But it's a weak ploy, and it won't pass the Federal Court sniff test.
Really, have you read the statutes? The vast majority of them are a re-enforcement of existing Arizona and Federal law.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM   #38
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Its kind of like breathalyzer laws. If you get pulled over for a illegal u-turn or a non-dui related issues and then a officer has a suspicion to believe you have been drinking he can require you to take a breathalyzer, in VA. In VA you have to submit to breathalyzers as part of your agreement to hold a drivers license.

So this just requires non-citizens to carry documentation papers with them at all times, but citizens do not have to. As long as police cannot approach someone or detain them on suspicion of being illegal, and as long as citizens or people the police cannot verify are illegal are immediately sent on their way I got no beef with the law. If you get stopped for doing something wrong police should be able to verify someone’s right to live here.

I remember seeing this sign when i visited CA early this year:

stock photo - Caution:Illegal Immigrant Crossing

They dont put these signs up because there isnt a serious problem going on. These states have to do something.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Really, have you read the statutes? The vast majority of them are a re-enforcement of existing Arizona and Federal law.
Well what's gonna make this law enforced when the previous ones were not enforced?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #40
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Its kind of like breathalyzer laws. If you get pulled over for a illegal u-turn or a non-dui related issues and then a officer has a suspicion to believe you have been drinking he can require you to take a breathalyzer, in VA. In VA you have to submit to breathalyzers as part of your agreement to hold a drivers license.

So this just requires non-citizens to carry documentation papers with them at all times, but citizens do not have to. As long as police cannot approach someone or detain them on suspicion of being illegal, and as long as citizens or people the police cannot verify are illegal are immediately sent on their way I got no beef with the law. If you get stopped for doing something wrong police should be able to verify someone’s right to live here.

I remember seeing this sign when i visited CA early this year:

stock photo - Caution:Illegal Immigrant Crossing

They dont put these signs up because there isnt a serious problem going on. These states have to do something.

Why is it so urgent now and not while Bush was in office? The timing of this is fishy.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #41
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Go read the law so you no what your talking about. They can only question someone if they are pulled over for something else like speeding first.
This is the fact that anyone opposed to the law is voluntarily disregarding.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #42
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Well what's gonna make this law enforced when the previous ones were not enforced?
That's exactly the reason for the law, to enforce the immigration laws passed at a Federal level...by the State and Local law enforcement since the Feds refuse to come help. The immigration laws passed have been worthless without enforcement and follow-through. They even passed a law a few years ago to build a border fence but have not been funding the actual work.

The state has been pleading for help and been largely ignored, they need to take the situation into their own hands. Texas is doing the same thing soon.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #43
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Why is it so urgent now and not while Bush was in office? The timing of this is fishy.
To the people living there, it was just as urgent then.

The majority of the residents approve of this law...yet not surprisingly, politicians living 2,000 miles away in D.C. think it's a bad idea.

When the President of the United States and Congress take the side of the lawbreakers over the safety of the citizens...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #44
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Maybe AZ thought the Fed. Govt was going to enforce the federal laws back when Bush was in office, but now they dont believe that is the case. I also think they wanted to do it after the census, so even if this thing was in the works for a few years they would wait until the bulk of the census's where mailed back (April 15th i think). It also may be that the AZ economy is so bad the politicians need to appease their constituents (illegals cant vote) and the constant cry of "Theyre takin our jobs". Maybe all these crazy drug wars we have been hearing about in Mexico are starting to cross over into the US, and they want to stop that.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #45
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Maybe AZ thought the Fed. Govt was going to enforce the federal laws back when Bush was in office, but now they dont believe that is the case. I also think they wanted to do it after the census, so even if this thing was in the works for a few years they would wait until the bulk of the census's where mailed back (April 15th i think). It also may be that the AZ economy is so bad the politicians need to appease their constituents (illegals cant vote) and the constant cry of "Theyre takin our jobs". Maybe all these crazy drug wars we have been hearing about in Mexico are starting to cross over into the US, and they want to stop that.
When hospitals are forced to close because illegals are coming in and costing too much to stay open...yeah, it's time to do something about it.