***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Other Sports

Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #61
12thMan
MVP

Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Not exactly...SEC is a great conference no doubt, but this aura of invincibility that it has acquired over the last 5 years is laughable. Jacksonville State comes to mind against a solid SEC team this past weekend. Right now Boise State could beat every SEC team, Alabama is one squad where they would have the most problem. But I remember when Utah...yes Utah rolled up Bama like a carpet year b4 last at the Sugar Bowl. Boise State was sloppy againt Tech yesterday as well...there gonna be a well oiled machine by the end of year...ask a very very good Oklahoma team several years ago how Boise State plays in Bowls...An assumption like any SEC team beating Boise State right now is humerous to say the least
Haha..exactly. Like how many times has Boise been written off by all the experts and big programs and they just continue to whoop ass and take names. This team is well coached and can play ball with the best of them, ask Tech. Truth is they could have and should have beaten Tech by a wider margin.

I don't see any SEC team rolling against Boise State, but I guess that's why they play the game.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #62
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I'll probably get murdered for this but Tech's problem is that their in-game coaching is embarrassing. Bud Foster must go to sleep at night wondering what the hell the rest of the coaching staff was thinking. He seems to be the only one who can actually coach during the game. Everyone else is seriously a shit storm. Their offensive playcalling is pathetic. Their decision making as a team is just stupid. Why the hell they throw on 3 and 8 25 yards down field is mind blowing. Then when they get the ball back there is no attempt to work their way down the field (even though they have two timeouts and decent field position.) They just send everyone on fly patterns and posts. In the NFL Beamer would get fired for that crap.
Great post. Problem is Stinespring is a poor OC and Beamer is too loyal for his own good. If he coached at any other major school either he or Stinespring would've been gone by now. This is nothing new. You can see there is very little creativity in the VT offense and they have tremendous athletes. They're just not being coached properly in the passing game at all.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #63
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Haha..exactly. Like how many times has Boise been written off by all the experts and big programs and they just continue to whoop ass and take names. This team is well coached and can play ball with the best of them, ask Tech. Truth is they could have and should have beaten Tech by a wider margin.

I don't see any SEC team rolling against Boise State, but I guess that's why they play the game.
I'll take a gentleman's bet that if either Fla or Ala get to play BS they will plow them. 3 TDs easily.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #64
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Not exactly...SEC is a great conference no doubt, but this aura of invincibility that it has acquired over the last 5 years is laughable. Jacksonville State comes to mind against a solid SEC team this past weekend. Right now Boise State could beat every SEC team, Alabama is one squad where they would have the most problem. But I remember when Utah...yes Utah rolled up Bama like a carpet year b4 last at the Sugar Bowl. Boise State was sloppy againt Tech yesterday as well...there gonna be a well oiled machine by the end of year...ask a very very good Oklahoma team several years ago how Boise State plays in Bowls...An assumption like any SEC team beating Boise State right now is humerous to say the least
4 straight BCS national titles says you're wrong. The SEC is the bell cow of college football until someone else proves otherwise. Pretty hard to make a legit argument to the contrary, especially with all the shuffling going on the Big 10 and Big 12. Or is the Big 12 and Big 10? Lol.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #65
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'll take a gentleman's bet that if either Fla or Ala get to play BS they will plow them. 3 TDs easily.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #66
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I'm your huckleberry
Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #67
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

3 TDs? I'll definitely take that gentleman's bet.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #68
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
3 TDs? I'll definitely take that gentleman's bet.
Damnit!!!! Now I have to cheer for them to win out.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #69
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Tyrod Taylor is a really good -- probably top 5 -- college quarterback with the skill set required of NFL quarterbacks. But even though VT runs a lot of pro style stuff, he plays a decidedly college game out there.

Which is really to the benefit of the Hokies. They should drop him back 45 times a game out there and let him make plays that will win them ball games. He's too good (and too late in his career) to do otherwise. But trying to run behind that OL...I know you have backs you really like but ugh...save that for the games against creampuffs.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #70
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
4 straight BCS national titles says you're wrong. The SEC is the bell cow of college football until someone else proves otherwise. Pretty hard to make a legit argument to the contrary, especially with all the shuffling going on the Big 10 and Big 12. Or is the Big 12 and Big 10? Lol.
I stated SEC is a great conference and has been for the last 5 years probably the best of the last 5, but Boise State could whip any of those teams this year. Florida and Alabama still class of the league...Questions abound across the other programs. The assumption that Boise wouldnt stand a chance is asinine...I know that isnt what SEC fans would "like" to think

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #71
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Damnit!!!! Now I have to cheer for them to win out.
Yep, and cheer you will.

I wish I could GMScud in on this, I know he's good for a drink or two
Old 09-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #72
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Tyrod Taylor is a really good -- probably top 5 -- college quarterback with the skill set required of NFL quarterbacks. But even though VT runs a lot of pro style stuff, he plays a decidedly college game out there.

Which is really to the benefit of the Hokies. They should drop him back 45 times a game out there and let him make plays that will win them ball games. He's too good (and too late in his career) to do otherwise. But trying to run behind that OL...I know you have backs you really like but ugh...save that for the games against creampuffs.
Taylor is physically a top 10 QB, but does not have an NFL QB skill set in reading a defense and performing in the short-intermediate passing game. WHen he makes plays in the passing game it's normally by his feet first and the D breaking down. This won't cut it at the next level, and isn't cutting it against solid college teams. He's going through the same career path as Vick, poor coaching at the HS level relying on his physcial skill-set and not teaching him the passing game, to college....again poor coaching, relying on his physical skill-set and not teaching him the passing game to be able to progress successfully to the NFL level.

With the talent that comes out of the Hampton Roads area, VT should be able to run a deadly spread offense, problem is if the OC can't coach/teach it and the HC won't fire the OC, then it's same-old, same-old year in and year out.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #73
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Boise St. would be a consistent 5 loss team in the SEC every year. Alabama would plow through them like a knife through warm butter and as far as the game last night, I will say that Va Tech lost it more than Boise St won it. And if Boise St is so good why don't they schedule a top SEC team and play them on the road and not Oregon St. at home? I am sick of hearing about how good Boise St is in a game they had a 17-0 lead in against the choke team of Va Tech. A lucky punt block, a running into the kicker, and a fumble on the QB/C exchange gave Boise St 17 pts. Did their offense really do anything until late 3rd qtr and Va Tech deciding to play the "prevent victory" defense. The only Big Time conference Boise St would run through is the Big East cause that conference is a joke. I still say this if UNC gets all their players back they win the ACC not Va Tech.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #74
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:

I disagree. They were basically handed 17 points and STILL VT had to come down from that to even make it a game. Had Boise State been down that margain, no way in hell they even come close. It says a lot that VT was even able to come back from that type of momentum swing.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #75
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I disagree. They were basically handed 17 points and STILL VT had to come down from that to even make it a game. Had Boise State been down that margain, no way in hell they even come close. It says a lot that VT was even able to come back from that type of momentum swing.
Yeah, VT came out flat, couldn't do anything, but once they got going, they looked like the better team.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote