Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Mike vs. Kyle

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
mmil12
Special Teams

Mike vs. Kyle

When I heard that we were bringing in Kyle Shanahan this off-season I was very excited. He proved with a very young team that he could build an explosive offense with unproven talent.

I was also excited about the signing of Mike Shanahan as I felt this team needed new leadership, discipline, and a coach with a clear vision of what he wanted to do.

With that being said, it appears as though Kyle's vision of how a game plan should be called differs greatly then what we've seen from a Mike Shanahan coached team in the past. Kyle seems to like to throw, throw, throw. Where Mike has openly said and proven that he wants to run, run, run.

My questions are...
1. Is it just my perception that there is a philosophical conflict in game calling?
2. Does Mike ever choose to take over the play calling during games?

I do understand that this team lacks the type of talent to make them an elite team. There are many many holes on this team in all three aspects of the game. I also understand it is going to take us a few years to acculuate the type of talent needed to run Mike or Kyle's offense.
mmil12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Mike vs. Kyle

Kyle is a good Coord. Our problem is personnel, no true Run game and very avg. WRs will hurt any team.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

We're down to 2 undrafted free agents at RB. I'm sure they would love to pound the rock more, sometimes the circumstances just don't allow it.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
mmil12
Special Teams

I agree that Kyle is a good coordinator, but I am not sure if he and Mike are on the same page. For example, the first series today looked completely different then the rest of the game. I am thinking that the two scripted the first 15 together...then it all went south...
Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Seems to me that whenever we handed the ball to K Williams today, he was too slow to get to the hole to make his one-cut upfield. And whenever we handed it to J Davis, he folded like a beach chair as soon as a defender made contact.

The Vikings front seven is playing much better than they did early in the year. They just shut us down up front, Kyle noticed, and he adjusted.

If we had caught the ball today, this wouldn't be a discussion. Dropped passes (and a block in the back) are the reason we lost.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
We're down to 2 undrafted free agents at RB. I'm sure they would love to pound the rock more, sometimes the circumstances just don't allow it.
I'm telling you when we actually get the players to run this system look out. Kyle/Mike do a great job of getting WRs opportunities to make plays. I love what I've seen from Davis/CC lately. Moss is a solid Num 2, AA is a number 3. When you dont have a Legit #1 WR and NO RUN GAME at all, you wont score many Points. If people are thinking 5 is the problem they are sadly mistaken.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Seems to me that whenever we handed the ball to K Williams today, he was too slow to get to the hole to make his one-cut upfield. And whenever we handed it to J Davis, he folded like a beach chair as soon as a defender made contact.

The Vikings front seven is playing much better than they did early in the year. They just shut us down up front, Kyle noticed, and he adjusted.

If we had caught the ball today, this wouldn't be a discussion. Dropped passes (and a block in the back) are the reason we lost.
Williams is a decent player but not a featured back by any means. Torain isn't dependable and this Davis guy is a ? Basically we are screwed at RB
Old 11-28-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I think we have a decent running game, the problem seems to be the OL, especially Rabach in the middle. Today was Davis first game, so I give him a pass. I think Kyle got inpatient and abandoned the running game way to early and never got into the flow. 13 running attempts in a game are pathetic. Williams had two good games against Philadelphia and the Titans (2 tough defenses) why abandoned the run? Beats me.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm telling you when we actually get the players to run this system look out. Kyle/Mike do a great job of getting WRs opportunities to make plays. I love what I've seen from Davis/CC lately. Moss is a solid Num 2, AA is a number 3. When you dont have a Legit #1 WR and NO RUN GAME at all, you wont score many Points. If people are thinking 5 is the problem they are sadly mistaken.
Oh I agree, right now we just don't have the horses. Some don't seem to see that though.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Oh I agree, right now we just don't have the horses. Some don't seem to see that though.
Well we all had high hopes with the Shanny's but it happens.. Lets just be patient, this is a team that won 4 games last year! We are better just not playoff better.. 8-8 would be a good year IMO
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #11
mmil12
Special Teams

Quote:
I agree completely, but I just hope that Shanahan can pull a quality RB out of no where and we don't spend a top pick on one next year. We have too many holes to spend a high pick on an RB.

I would love to see more of Cooley and Davis on the field together. I think that can be an impressive combo if we can get it rolling. Davis, Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong are the only receivers we have. They should be on the field together more often. I also would like to see a little, not a lot, more of Banks on offense. If we can get him in space, he can make it happen.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmil12 View Post
I agree completely, but I just hope that Shanahan can pull a quality RB out of no where and we don't spend a top pick on one next year. We have too many holes to spend a high pick on an RB.

I would love to see more of Cooley and Davis on the field together. I think that can be an impressive combo if we can get it rolling. Davis, Cooley, Moss, and Armstrong are the only receivers we have. They should be on the field together more often. I also would like to see a little, not a lot, more of Banks on offense. If we can get him in space, he can make it happen.
Banks sure is fun to watch my man.. We had that damn game won! Shanny will get a RB or 2 that will fit the scheme, hey who knows? Maybe Davis could be the guy.. Torain is good when healthy and Williams is decent but lacks speed and quickness.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Wonder if they'll reach out to Willie Parker again?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Kyle is a good Coord. Our problem is personnel, no true Run game and very avg. WRs will hurt any team.
Does anyone know how many Int's this year should be credited to poor reciever play. I don't know if it was an exaggeration but I've heard that Galloway alone is responsible for 3 or 4. With Santana today it's at least around 4 or 5. Maybe the NFL should start using a receiver rating that gives receivers a TD:INT ratio.

We probably look at yards way to often without looking at how many passes they catch that are thrown their way. Not unlike NBA fans that look at PPG stats while ignoring field goal percentage. Then again maybe stats are overrated to begin with.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

We probably look at yards way to often without looking at how many passes they catch that are thrown their way. Not unlike NBA fans that look at PPG stats while ignoring field goal percentage. Then again maybe stats are overrated to begin with.
Stats are pretty much "lossy compressed data" designed to approximate what was physical performed in the game. However, unlike ripping music files, stats can horribly mislead(aka change the actual notes played)

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote