Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

The professional football organization in Washington continues to focus on the important things.

When they aren’t suing a tiny local paper, the team is ordering the Washington Post to change the name of their popular football blog. Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog points out an article in the Post on Tuesday that explains why.

“The Redskins, who have been at the forefront in creating their own multimedia operations, have been aggressive in policing the use and misuse of their ‘brand’ by others,” Paul Farhi writes.
To that end, they no longer allow local sports highlight shows on television or radio to use the team name unless its authorized. Recently, they took that one step further.

“The Redskins recently asked the Washington Post to rename the newspaper’s video webcast and blog about the team, which was called ‘Redskins Insider,’” Fahri notes. (The blog has since been retitled “Football Insider.”)

After consulting with our legal team, we’ve determined that we will only mention the team’s name from now on when quoting from other sources.

Otherwise, we will refer to the team as the Washington Indigenous Americans. Or perhaps the Washington Free Agent Mistakes.
Unless you guys have any better ideas.

Indigenous Americans football squad forces Washington Post to re-name blog | ProFootballTalk
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
mlmpetert
Playmaker

re: Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

I really hate this guy. Also my bad about the really long title, please feel free to edit.....
Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

re: Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

Longest thread title EVER.

I didn't even know it would allow us to type one that long!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
mlmpetert
Playmaker

^ i didnt think it would show after so many characters..... I was WRONG
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I understand the economics of marketing a brand. But this is ridiculous. The column now known as "Football Insider" essentially provided free advertising for the team. Sometimes you have to know when to stop - and apparently Snyder's office does not know this.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #6
mredskins
MVP

Re: Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

Really does it matter either way?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Re: Danny Snyder Forces The Washington Post to Rename “Redskins Insider” to “Football Insider”

You know usually I defend The Danny but this is freaking retarded. At least I have something to talk about on my show. damn Dan

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
over the mountain
Playmaker

Is the argument that the Wash Po, by virtue of using the name "redskins insider", would attract more viewers and thus more money?

So the DS doesnt want the Wash Po to use "redskins" when titling sections of their weekly blogs/videos b/c they, in some stretch of logic but understandable, would be unfairly making money off the redskin name which they dont have permission or authorization to do?

Burning bridges instead of building them. Jerry Jones at least gets the importance of treating the media with respect and catered lunch every week. Does the DS realize this just opens him up to ridicule to no end? When we suffer an embarrassing loss, im sure the wash po will get creative with names to use instead of redskins.

But im pretty sure the wash po or any person can use the name redskins in an article title and in articles, you just cant have permenant sections of your newspaper titled "redskins". but im sure the wash po will still make a funny in an article title just to poke fun at the easily irritable DS and use it as yet another example of his just not getting it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The losing tenure piece is irrelevant to the story so I dropped that from the title

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post this.

Here are my two cents

1. When I worked in the local media back in the day, my tv station was not allowed for a while to use Redskins in our weekly football show. (though I later found out, it was fueled by a competing station who-felt they paid a significant amount of money to be an official partner). This was before Snyder bought the team. So protecting the Redskins name has been around long before Snyder. This, incidentally, is what people who sue to change the team name are really suing about. They want to remove the football's rights to trademark and protect the name Redskins, thus diluting its value

2. Now that I work in the national media, and see many contracts-I can tell you that they are not the only team that does this. That many teams and leagues are extremely protective of their brand. All the major leagues are, perhaps no one more so than the NFL itself. The NFL is very, very, very protective and selective in regards to how often the term NFL can be used and where. So it wouldn't entirely surprise me if part of this was a mandate from above (Though I'm sure another part was to screw with the WaPo).
Old 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Does anyone know if Tony Wyllie is behind this (if not the NFL)?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
warpaint
The Starter

After reading SS response I can see where he is coming from. I would like to Danny Boy just Chill out and stay under the radar for a while.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
You know usually I defend The Danny but this is freaking retarded. At least I have something to talk about on my show. damn Dan
same here
Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Also, if you read the original article you'll see that "force" is a strong word and it's part of a bigger story about sports teams/leagues taking more ownership of their brand in the media

In Internet age, sports teams are increasingly in the news business - The Washington Post
Old 03-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Wow, just wow. If winning a Super Bowl is ever based on karma then we are royally screwed. Did he not see the reaction to the Examiner lawsuit? Who the hell is advising Snyder?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Wow, just wow. If winning a Super Bowl is ever based on karma then we are royally screwed. Did he not see the reaction to the Examiner lawsuit? Who the hell is advising Snyder?
Incidentally, I got an email from Joe Bugel forcing me to force you to change your user name. You can no longer use Dirtbag. Henceforth, we shall call you AnonymousInternetDude59