This Just In---Andrew Luck To Stay At Stanford

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #31
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: This Just In---Andrew Luck To Stay At Stanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan57 View Post
Luck had his reasons. the panthers may now go after Newton or Locker.bottom line is the redskins will now have fewer options at finding a QB in the 1st round.may have to look into round 2.
not at #1 overall.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #32
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan57 View Post
Luck had his reasons. the panthers may now go after Newton or Locker.bottom line is the redskins will now have fewer options at finding a QB in the 1st round.may have to look into round 2.
The guy from Missouri will probably be the first QB taken now. Newton is a wild card but I doubt he will go first overall, rather the Panthers will take another year and try to find out what they have in Clausen while drafting a replacement along the D-Line for Peppers. My guess is they have a toss up between DaQuan Bowers (DE Clemson) and Nick Fairley (DT Auburn).

Locker is a late first round pick. Ironically Mallet might be a second round pick now, which is kind of sad considering the main cause of that drop was his performance late in the Sugar Bowl.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #33
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
No money is guaranteed. Technically it is a 50 million dollar gamble, because SmootSmack is right, a new CBA could be struck before the draft and it would probably include a rookie cap for this year's draft. So he might not be losing much, unless he goes back to school, stinks it up like Locker, and ends up losing major draft position in next year's draft. Or maybe Luck isn't concerned about the money at all, and would rather have another awesome year of college before heading to the NFL. Sucks for the Panthers now though, because Luck was the only consensus #1. I have no idea who they'll go after now.
Or gets hurt. His family may be well off, but probably not well off enough to afford a $ 40-50M insurance policy. He should take the risk on the rookie cap for 2011, if he goes back it's as near 100% as possible that there will be a rookie cap for the 2012 draft.

Bad decision by Luck IMO. Also sucks for the Panthers, they could've rebuilt in short order around Luck. Now they'll have to see if Clausen can improve and develop into a solid NFL QB. Despite his bad year, I'm still cautiously optimistic he can develop if the Panthers get some help on the OL and at WR.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Or gets hurt. His family may be well off, but probably not well off enough to afford a $ 40-50M insurance policy. He should take the risk on the rookie cap for 2011, if he goes back it's as near 100% as possible that there will be a rookie cap for the 2012 draft.

Bad decision by Luck IMO. Also sucks for the Panthers, they could've rebuilt in short order around Luck. Now they'll have to see if Clausen can improve and develop into a solid NFL QB. Despite his bad year, I'm still cautiously optimistic he can develop if the Panthers get some help on the OL and at WR.
The guys studying Architecture at Stanford. He will never have to worry to much about money, and personally he's got like a 90% chance of ending up with that Tom Brady/Peyton Manning contract once his rookie deal is up. Luck is way to talented to suffer a fall like that of Matt Leinart.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #35
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

how can anyone honestly say this is the right move ? this story never turns out well .. they won't go undefeated, they just came off an impressive BCS bowl, i'm sorry but this guy is dumb for this move ...
NFC EAST CHAMPS RG3 will be back & #12 can run the show until hes ready.We are young w depth. 23,59,89 will all be back.Alfred Morris aka Diesel Hybrid ! @DCtoAZ81 ...2013 NFC CHAMPS
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
how can anyone honestly say this is the right move ? this story never turns out well .. they won't go undefeated, they just came off an impressive BCS bowl, i'm sorry but this guy is dumb for this move ...
You must be an ASU fan

- FRPLG
Old 01-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #37
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
The guys studying Architecture at Stanford. He will never have to worry to much about money, and personally he's got like a 90% chance of ending up with that Tom Brady/Peyton Manning contract once his rookie deal is up. Luck is way to talented to suffer a fall like that of Matt Leinart.
The Standford Architectural school and his scholarship are not going anywhere. If he is as good a student as people say, he can finish up his degree during the NFL off season. Easy.
The window for a big guaranteed rookie contract is small.
The life span of a football player is also small. You can only take so many hits and so many snaps.
Ask a player like Herschel Walker who needlessly left his most productive years and physical ability in Georgia. Where nobody really notices or cares. By the time he got to the NFL his body was already on it's down side.
$50 million guaranteed goes a long way, even if he fails as a player. He could give up his scholarship and pay for the tuition himself if he wanted to, to finish his degree.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #38
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I don't see him stinking it up like Leinart or Locker, but let's say Luck takes an akward hit to that throwing shoulder or elbow or plant knee and can't get back to what he was in 2010? And a degree in architecture from Stanford is nice, but it ain't going to land him $ 50M in guaranteed money in late April 2011.

Don't get me wrong, I value education....but $ 50M buys a lot of education.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
mlmpetert
Playmaker

It kind of makes you want him more now doesnt it.

I cant fault someone for doing what they love no matter how much money is at stake. Maybe he'll have a bad season and slip to us in the 2012 draft when no one here wants him anymore?
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #40
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I don't see him stinking it up like Leinart or Locker, but let's say Luck takes an akward hit to that throwing shoulder or elbow or plant knee and can't get back to what he was in 2010? And a degree in architecture from Stanford is nice, but it ain't going to land him $ 50M in guaranteed money in late April 2011.

Don't get me wrong, I value education....but $ 50M buys a lot of education.
Lol, $50 million will go a long way towards completing the Stanford Andrew Luck Center for Architecture and Design.

- FRPLG
Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #41
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

The good news is we don't have to worry about the Redskins giving up this years first and next years second to move up to get him. Personally I like his decision mostly as an educator I think its wrong that these men get a free education and then get to leave the university early if they want. I wish the NCAA would come out and require anyone who does to repay back their scholarships to the University.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #42
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Good for Luck. He'll still make the money down the road whether in football or due to his Stanford degree. He's a smart kid, he knows about the rookie salary cap, I'm sure he'll sign a short contract and then redo it. Trust me, he'll make some ca$h!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #43
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
The good news is we don't have to worry about the Redskins giving up this years first and next years second to move up to get him. Personally I like his decision mostly as an educator I think its wrong that these men get a free education and then get to leave the university early if they want. I wish the NCAA would come out and require anyone who does to repay back their scholarships to the University.
This is so wrong.

Football players give body and soul to the university which makes millions of dollars from their labor. So departing football players leaving early certainly don't owe their U. a dime, if anything, the NCAA should mandate some sort of compensation while they are active and in school.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #44
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Wow, he's going to lose out on a lot of $$

You can always finish up school later, gotta cash in while you can.
Not to mention the chance of injury
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #45
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Rumor has it Harbaugh is staying...
Harbaugh staying is good common sense. He is a god there, has a system/program in place that is very solid. I can see Jim leaving once he licks Oregon and gets into the Rose Bowl or Title game.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote