Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

Packers named best franchise in sports, Bengals named worst | ProFootballTalk

The Redskins continue the downward spiral in media reputation.

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAPP! lawsuit.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: ESPN the Magazine ranks the best & worst franchises in america. Redskins ranked 121 out of 122.

That's a joke. We're not one of the best-run but we're nowhere near that. The Pirates beat is? ESPN is becoming a trash source on par with the National Enquirer.

We've won 5 championships and been in 5 Super Bowls, winning 3. That should put us mid-pack at least. Our coach is a 2-time champ and we're turning things around after a bad decade.

As for "media reputation", who cares...they're the same idiots who sold some of us on "Hope and Change" too. That turned out well.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Down with ESPN worse media outlet EVER. All of their on air personalities and writers are terrible. Not to mention their employees who are probably the most arrogant and self absorbed people in the solar system. Like seriously, how bad are their employees. They make the people at Enron look like saints.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Meks
Pro Bowl

To this? I say suck a meat-sack ESPN.

Pirates
MARLINS
ROYALS
CLIPPERS

JUST .... to name a few off the top of my head and I don't feel like typing the 20 more or so in that are out there worse off then we are.

Go suck off Tony romo and stop writing shit.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I believe things are turning around for the team. Wishful thinking perhaps? Maybe, but we took a precipitous drop over the past two years. I know I mentioned it to some people here but in terms of fan surveys (people ranking their favorite teams, how they feel about certain organizations, etc.) the Redskins are at the lowest they have been in over 15 years. They dropped significantly in the last survey

All the past championships the franchise has won and rings our head coach has are irrelevant to this report.

Do I think 2nd to last is too low? Yes, as do many other people here (contrary to popular belief-there are a lot of high ranking people here who are Redskins fans), but hopefully this is as bad as it gets for us., and let's not kid ourselve into pretending Super Bowls won as "recently" as 20 years ago should allow us to ignore all the issues of today.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Down with ESPN worse media outlet EVER. All of their on air personalities and writers are terrible. Not to mention their employees who are probably the most arrogant and self absorbed people in the solar system. Like seriously, how bad are their employees. They make the people at Enron look like saints.
Son, we live in a world that has sports, and those sports have to be covered by the media. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Dirtbag? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Jack Kent Cooke and you curse the Cowboys. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know

You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want us at ESPN! You need us at ESPN!

and so on...
Old 06-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Son, we live in a world that has sports, and those sports have to be covered by the media. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Dirtbag? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom! You weep for Jack Kent Cooke and you curse the Cowboys. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know

You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want us at ESPN! You need us at ESPN!

and so on...
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

HA ! Lavar and Dukes, Sportsradio 106, 7 The FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN !!!

Ha, they just gave lavar and chad about 2 1/2 hours of material !

Eff 'em all ! I'm down with the second worst franchise in the nation until I die ! Hail Mother Effers !

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I hear that NC_Skins contributed a lot to this piece, hence the low rankings. LOL. (I kid, I kid).

I still don't get how the Orioles and Nats are ranked higher than the Skins.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
mlmpetert
Playmaker

"The “Best Franchises In Sports” feature is part of ESPN The Magazine’s Ultimate Standings methodology study, which determines an overall ranking for pro sports franchises according to how much they give back to fans for the time, money and emotion they invest in them.
The rankings are determined by a multi-tiered analysis that examines a team’s efficiency in spending fan money as compared to its on-field performance. It also factors in feedback in 21 categories from more than 70,000 fans nationwide, both online at ESPN.com and in polling conducted by both independent third parties."

The “Best Franchises In Sports” feature is part of ESPN The Magazine’s Ultimate Standings methodology study, which determines an overall ranking for pro sports franchises according to how much they give back to fans for the time, money and emotion they invest in them.

The rankings are determined by a multi-tiered analysis that examines a team’s efficiency in spending fan money as compared to its on-field performance. It also factors in feedback in 21 categories from more than 70,000 fans nationwide, both online at ESPN.com and in polling conducted by both independent third parties."

^ based off of this it kind of makes sense. We have a huge fan base that puts tons of emotion, time and money to the team and most people have been pretty upset. I think were definitely a little too low though. But at least we don’t really have anywhere to go but up, right? SS do you have insight on the other 21categories?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
NLC1054
Special Teams

They hate our owner, they hate our coach because of the McNabb thing.

I mean, that's the only reason we're the 121st worst franchise. Because everyone hates Dan Snyder (it's cool to hate Dan Snyder like it's cool to hate Justin Bieber nowadays), and everyone hates Mike Shanahan because he benched Donovan McNabb, so that makes us the 2nd worst franchise.

There's still 80,000 or more people that fill FedEx Field every week. We're still one of the most profitable franchises in the NFL. We did make the playoffs in 2007. We're clearly in rebuild mode, which should be a good thing, since we're finally acknowledging that we need to rebuild.

Basically, the media at large needs a team to beat up on, so they can either 1.) laugh at every misfortune, even if the mistakes are relatively small, or 2.) be faux-shocked that they do well. It used to be the Lions, right now it's the Redskins.
NLC1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
"The “Best Franchises In Sports” feature is part of ESPN The Magazine’s Ultimate Standings methodology study, which determines an overall ranking for pro sports franchises according to how much they give back to fans for the time, money and emotion they invest in them.

The “Best Franchises In Sports” feature is part of ESPN The Magazine’s Ultimate Standings methodology study, which determines an overall ranking for pro sports franchises according to how much they give back to fans for the time, money and emotion they invest in them.

^ based off of this it kind of makes sense. We have a huge fan base that puts tons of emotion, time and money to the team and most people have been pretty upset. I think were definitely a little too low though. But at least we don’t really have anywhere to go but up, right? SS do you have insight on the other 21categories?
Like what sort of insight do you mean?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Nevermind i had trouble getting the espn webpage to load ealier...... I was kind of wrong on the 21 categories thing. I think this answears what i was trying to ask:

In all, 122 teams from the NFL, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball were ranked in order, based on a weighted average of scores in eight different categories ranging from the quantitative to the emotionally subjective: “bang for the buck” (24.3%), players (16.6%), fan relations (16.5%), affordability (14.1%), stadium experience (9.1%), ownership (9.0%), title track (6.7%), and coaching (3.9%).

But based off of this im not even sure how they factored in the 21 categories the fans voted on.... not sure it matters....
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
To this? I say suck a meat-sack ESPN.

Pirates
MARLINS
ROYALS
CLIPPERS

JUST .... to name a few off the top of my head and I don't feel like typing the 20 more or so in that are out there worse off then we are.

Go suck off Tony romo and stop writing shit.
You've said it perfectly for all of us.