Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #151
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: 2011 Redskins Free Agent Rumors and Reports Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have no problem with this article. I don't regularly follow other NFL teams and their personnel moves but I have a certain impressions of some teams based on what they have done in the past. My impressions of those teams may or may not be valid at this time.

It seems to still be the general impression of the Skins that they will chase after the big names in Free Agency whether of not they are a good fit for the team. After all, Dan Snyder is still the owner, so why wouldn't they? Don Banks is simply expressing a commonly held view of how the Skins operate, although the way they operate may have changed. Nevertheless, even he acknowledged that the Skins handled the draft differently last time.

I don't think that the current Skins management will be viewed any differently by the general public (including national writers) than they were in the Ceratto era until it becomes so evident that a blind man could see it. That's just the way people are - we cling to our long-held impressions of others.

Personally, I don't care what Don Banks thinks or writes about the Redskins. On the other hand, I'm not sold on the Shanahan/Allen era yet, either.

Advertisements
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #152
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think the best option for NT after Franklin would be Branch from AZ. I am not sure if he's restricted or not, but he'd be a good additon to our NT rotation (Bryant and Nields).
R.I.P. #21
Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #153
GridIron26
Playmaker

I completely forgot about Branch, how did he fare in Arizona? I remember he fell down to 2nd round after the big hype, and if I recall right, the big knock on him was his laziness. I am sure he has the size to be NT, but if Arizona decide to let him go because of his laziness then I definitely do not want him.

As for those media claiming that Redskins will be big spender in FA; all I can say is, speculation is media's best friend. The idea of Redskins being big spender exploded right after JLC posted his article. And we all know how credible JLC is when it comes to Redskins.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #154
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I remember a lot folks wanting him here before that draft.
I was one of them.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #155
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I completely forgot about Branch, how did he fare in Arizona? I remember he fell down to 2nd round after the big hype, and if I recall right, the big knock on him was his laziness. I am sure he has the size to be NT, but if Arizona decide to let him go because of his laziness then I definitely do not want him.

As for those media claiming that Redskins will be big spender in FA; all I can say is, speculation is media's best friend. The idea of Redskins being big spender exploded right after JLC posted his article. And we all know how credible JLC is when it comes to Redskins.
Branch is an Anthony Bryant style player, though just 26. Basically, has the ability to two gap as a nose in the NFL, but the position coach needs to ride him hard to get adequate performance. Work effort concerns that caused him to drop to round two in the draft still evidence, according to Arizona reports.

I am in support of investing in more of the kind of player that Anthony Bryant is, and hoping that one of the two takes advantage of the opportunity in front of them to become the player we need. After all, we don't need both to pan out, only one, and we save a lot of money, and get improved performance over the average free agent.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #156
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post

Here is a nice article about Branch:

Stay Or Go: Arizona Cardinals Defensive Tackle Alan Branch - Revenge of the Birds

It seems that he was having some work ethic issues in his first two years, but seems to have improved in the last two. I am surprised that his name is hasn't been mentioned, since he is one of the true NTs out there (with the experience). Some of the other names mentioned such as Cofield and Okoye, would probably fare better as 3-4 DEs. I think Branch would be a good pick up and it would give us a nice young group of NTs.
R.I.P. #21
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #157
#56fanatic
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Just about every reliable source I have talked to says Moss is coming back
I am for bringing Moss back, but why is Santonio Holmes being mentioned?? They seem to me to be the same type of receiver in this offense. I would think Hankerson and Kelly are the guys to watch early in camp. Also having Armstrong who has a year in the offense. I really dont see how we or why would bring in another reciever. Unless its a sydny rice. We need to invest the money on the oline, as we have seen, if the QB can't throw it, no one is going to catch it
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #158
MTK
\m/

Holmes is probably the backup plan, but I've heard the Jets don't intend on letting him get away.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #159
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm not too big on Holmes, solid player but not a dominant WR. I'd take him but not for big time $
Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 AM   #160
SBXVII
Franchise Player

The best of the rest.....National Football Report: List of best UDFA's for 2011.

2011 NFL draft undrafted free agents,udfa's | National Football Report
Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #161
SBXVII
Franchise Player

NFL's Furture.com top 50 UDFA's....

NFLsFuture.com » Blog Archive Top 50 Undrafted Free Agents from the 2011 NFL Draft
Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #162
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I'm not too big on Holmes, solid player but not a dominant WR. I'd take him but not for big time $
Interesting pun. That's the problem, he's not so big himself. He's 5'11".

We'd be trading SantanA for SantonIO. Not to mention he carries more baggage than Santana -- Holmes has his substance abuse problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 AM   #163
#56fanatic
The Starter

I really hope the front office (shanny) make resigning Moss a priority vs. signing Holmes. This would be the exact moves this franchise has made over the last 11 years. Letting your core guys leave to bring in a FA. We have to rid ourselves of these moves. We have young receivers and we need to develop them. Same as RB's, no need in bringing in a veteran. LB's, we have some young talent there. Lichensleiger (SP), Montgomery, seem to be ready to step up and play center. Let them compete for the job, Raymer has been good, but he may serve as a better back up at this point. We really need to develop our young talent.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #164
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by #56fanatic View Post
I really hope the front office (shanny) make resigning Moss a priority vs. signing Holmes. This would be the exact moves this franchise has made over the last 11 years. Letting your core guys leave to bring in a FA. We have to rid ourselves of these moves. We have young receivers and we need to develop them. Same as RB's, no need in bringing in a veteran. LB's, we have some young talent there. Lichensleiger (SP), Montgomery, seem to be ready to step up and play center. Let them compete for the job, Raymer has been good, but he may serve as a better back up at this point. We really need to develop our young talent.
All indications seem to point to that.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #165
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
The best of the rest.....National Football Report: List of best UDFA's for 2011.

2011 NFL draft undrafted free agents,udfa's | National Football Report
There are a lot of players on that list who are worth a shot. I'm very interested to see who the Skins sign.
Closed Thread