Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Predict teams/players that will underperform under new steroid testing program

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
wilsowilso

Predict teams/players that will underperform under new steroid testing program

I have always had my doubts about certain players and teams in this league and I am willing to bet one or two teams and a whole bunch of players are going to come crashing back to earth now that they can't cheat.

For example:

James Harrison - No way you go from a complete nobody to defensive MVP. No Way.

Clay Matthews - I can give like ten reasons why I think this guy cheats.

Pittsburgh Steelers - Don't believe that a team can sustain this level of physical freak dominance for such a sustained period of time. Solid players arrive on this team and in three years they are superior athletes. Over and over.

Baltimore Ravens - See above

New York Giants - See above

Disclaimer: These are just predictions and opinions.

It is also my opinion that a ton of NFL players have been cheating for a long long time.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
saden1
MVP

Re: Predict teams/players that will underperform under new steroid testing program

Clay comes from good pedigree...gaining 80lbs and 2 inches in hight is very doable in 6 years.

Time will tell on all those other predictions though I wouldn't bet against the Steelers or the Ravens. Those guys work hard.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Predict teams/players that will underperform under new steroid testing program

So you mean to say that the only reason James Harrison is a top pass rusher is cause you think he took steroids? You think the reason Pittsburgh has been a dominant physical team is cause they're all juiced up? That is just ridiculous.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
So you mean to say that the only reason James Harrison is a top pass rusher is cause you think he took steroids? You think the reason Pittsburgh has been a dominant physical team is cause they're all juiced up? That is just ridiculous.
Way to put your own spin on what I said.

I said I was suspicious of an undrafted player who had a meteoric rise in ability during an era when the drug testing policy in the NFL was a complete and utter joke.

I never said all of the player on Pittsburgh are juiced up. Let's say three of their top eight players used performance enhancers. That's still a big advantage.

As I already stated I think a ton of players have been cheating.

It's only a prediction anyways.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Longtimefan
Playmaker

I'm afraid to even touch that one. Would be difficult for me to call out teams or players and not invoke premature speculation and assumption. I agree with Saden1, it's hard to grab-bag players that work hard, the new rule will eventually smoke out all cheaters if there actually are any.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post

I said I was suspicious of an undrafted player who had a meteoric rise in ability during an era when the drug testing policy in the NFL was a complete and utter joke.

I never said all of the player on Pittsburgh are juiced up. Let's say three of their top eight players used performance enhancers. That's still a big advantage.

Well, what do you think he's supposed to take from this line?

"Pittsburgh Steelers - Don't believe that a team can sustain this level of physical freak dominance for such a sustained period of time. Solid players arrive on this team and in three years they are superior athletes. Over and over."
Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well, what do you think he's supposed to take from this line?

"Pittsburgh Steelers - Don't believe that a team can sustain this level of physical freak dominance for such a sustained period of time. Solid players arrive on this team and in three years they are superior athletes. Over and over."
Yeah except I explained my thought process just a little more than that.

I didn't just say Harrison must be a cheater because he is a beast pass rusher now did I?

I said it's suspect for the guy to arrive in the NFL undrafted out of nowhere and the next thing you know he is one of the most gifted athletes in the league.

I didn't say all the Steelers cheat. I said average players show up on that team and over time their physical ability puts them on a whole different level. I find that very suspect.

Sure you can argue it's all hard work.

Barry Bonds can make that argument as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post

Totally disagree 100%. Harrison is 5'10 or so and he plays with a very low pad level. That's why he's a great pass rusher. Being strong helps but his technique and pad level is why he's good at what he does. He's also on the perfect defense for him. Freeney and Mathis are the same way, they play with low pad level coming off the edge, although both are undersized 4-3 ends. Taking setroids doesn't make you a geat football player. Heart, work ethic and talent do.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

I really don't want to get into this conversation as well. WE are not dominant by any means but what if our guys are doing it as well?

We can't just specualte about this team and that team. There are groups of players in the league who use HGH. You never know where these guys will come from, but I will say you will see guys from all over the NFL getting busted. It will not be limited to this team or that team.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
mlmpetert
Playmaker

I thought the steroid testing was already pretty strong? I think the new testing is more of a crack down on HGH.

My thoughts are its going to affect older players and a lot of special teamers/bobble guys. The true “team guys” that are usually only in the league for a 3-4 years cant miss time from injury. If Chris Cooley hurts his knee and misses all of training camp, no problem. If a “team guy” guy like Rock Cartwright missed all of training camp back in the day hes taking a job at UPS in the fall. If youre a old vet and youre just delaying the enviable by using HGH then youre screwed too.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Hmm, Not so crazy. If you know NFL history, you may have heard of Lyle Alzado, and the Raiders of the 70's and 80's..
Not saying that Pittsburgh is a squad full of juice monkeys, just saying there have been in the past.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #12
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Some of the steelers defense, specifically James Harrison. (Keisel, maybe Aaron Smith, Farrior, and Timmons)

Clay Matthews, even though I love the way he plays.

Cushing

Shawn Merriman

Suggs

Ray Lewis

LaRon

Richie Incognito, Marc Colombo, Leonard Davis, Logan Mankins,

Richard Seymour

Jay Ratliff
Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
alaskaN8
Camp Scrub

no team or player will suffer from steroid testing. they players will just take something that is not illegal yet. just like this last year when ray lewis , roy williiams , and i am sure other people were taking deer antler velvet, the league made them stop, then made it a banned substance. they will find a new source for hgh or steriods and until someone comes up with a test to detect it ,thats what they will use.
alaskaN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaN8 View Post
no team or player will suffer from steroid testing. they players will just take something that is not illegal yet. just like this last year when ray lewis , roy williiams , and i am sure other people were taking deer antler velvet, the league made them stop, then made it a banned substance. they will find a new source for hgh or steriods and until someone comes up with a test to detect it ,thats what they will use.
This is the way it HAS BEEN FOR YEARS. The players have been one step ahead of the tests..
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Ed Hochuli

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote