Start John Beck Madness Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #61
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
When a coach benches an all pro quarterback in a game where he just wasnt very effective, or he "wasnt in good enough shape to run the 2 minute offense" (Yeah, and grossman is the epitome of physical strength and conditioning, gimme a fvckin break), then I would say after the past two games we have seen from rex grossman, it certainly is well within the realm of possibility that he sits Grossman and gives beck his shot. Who knows, he could break out and be an above average quarterback for us. One thing I know for certain is that we will not keep winning games like this with the subpar qb play we have witnessed the past 2 weeks. We should count ourselves EXTREMELY lucky to be 3-1 at this point. Our record in NO WAY justifies that Rex Grossmans job is safe, for the fact that none of the wins can be attributed to his stellar play, and all of them save for the giants game COULD have EASILY been lost due to the mistakes he is so prone to making, like he is on cue. Those thinking that Shanahan will not bench Rex based solely on the fact that we have won 3 games at this point of the season is fooling themselves. Rex's play is SCREAMING "Bench Me", and I hope and believe that Shanahan will make the correct call, and put in John Beck over the bye week.

As for this season, you will not find a better time to install a new quarterback with your offense. We know that Rex Grossman cannot be counted on, but John Beck has yet to show that he is as mistake prone as Rex. If we can cut out the INTs, fumbles and idiot throws to the other team that they miraculously fail to catch, then we might just see a little more productivity from our offensive group.
So what happens if you put Beck in and he fumbles twice and throws three pics against Philly? Do you go back to Rex? I mean when does the carousel stop?

You bench Rex now and you can't go back to him in my opinion. That is why he won't be benched until he gets hurt or this team is out of contention.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #62
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
Ok Im watching the replays....u know what...I don't think Rex is to blame...

1. Recievers aren't getting separation we are really missing Armstrong

2. Stop passing on 3rd and 3 Kyle

4. I'm seeing a ton of illegal touching on the guys covering fred davis thats going uncalled.

Don't blame Rex cept for that 1 int
I totally agree with 90% of what you say -- it seems like Davis is getting mauled on offense and Rak/Kerrigan are getting mauled on defense with the refs choosing to ignore it. Kyle really has to improve the playcalling, that's two weeks now where it's been suspect.

That being said -- the Lauranitis INT was an awful decision at a pivotal point in the game. Also, Rex was super lucky, there were two picks where he hit the defender between the numbers and they didn't bring the picks in that could have been INTs.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #63
diehard
The Starter

They have a RB carousel at 3-1 why not have a QB carousel spinning too?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #64
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
I totally agree with 90% of what you say -- it seems like Davis is getting mauled on offense and Rak/Kerrigan are getting mauled on defense with the refs choosing to ignore it. Kyle really has to improve the playcalling, that's two weeks now where it's been suspect.

That being said -- the Lauranitis INT was an awful decision at a pivotal point in the game. Also, Rex was super lucky, there were two picks where he hit the defender between the numbers and they didn't bring the picks in that could have been INTs.
If this team wants to be a contender, the QB can't throw the game away late in the game, period.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

You could also argue that he was super unlucky. Hightower drops an easy catch. Moss drops an easy catch. A great throw to (I believe) Gaffney on 3rd down is negated because of a questionable false start on Jammal Brown.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #66
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
Pretty hard to bench your QB when you're 3-1, that's all I'm saying.
No it's not......and I'm only 3 min into the 2nd qtr on the review.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #67
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

I'm ok with the RB carousel.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #68
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Shanahan bench Plummer for Cutler when I think the Broncos were 7-4 and atop the division...so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But I wouldn't make the move and Beck isn't a rookie
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #69
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
So what happens if you put Beck in and he fumbles twice and throws three pics against Philly? Do you go back to Rex? I mean when does the carousel stop?

You bench Rex now and you can't go back to him in my opinion. That is why he won't be benched until he gets hurt or this team is out of contention.
Same thing that happens if you keep in Rex and he fumbles twice and throws 3 picks? But if Beck does it then fine you put back in Rex. Still Rex doesn't have the production to justify not considering Beck going into the bye.

I mean why do we keep on saying that the Redskins need to recreate the Hogs but God forbid we consider a QB switch, the type of coaching move that was seen relatively frequently during Gibbs I. By the way Shanahan isn't scared to bench a QB either. He benched Plummer in favor of a rookie Cutler when Plummer was a year removed from the Pro Bowl.

The bottom line is whats best for the team.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #70
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Isn't that kind of reactive? I mean, if the warning signs are all there saying get rid of this guy, shouldn't the move be made before he costs us a game?
No. What happens if you replace him and Beck comes in and plays worse? Go back to Rex? Hell no. You don't pull Rex until it starts costing us games, at that point, you put in Beck and roll with him the rest of the way.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #71
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Shanahan bench Plummer for Cutler when I think the Broncos were 7-4 and atop the division...so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But I wouldn't make the move and Beck isn't a rookie
Besides, I think too many other things are clicking for the team overall.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #72
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
You could also argue that he was super unlucky. Hightower drops an easy catch. Moss drops an easy catch. A great throw to (I believe) Gaffney on 3rd down is negated because of a questionable false start on Jammal Brown.
Rex throws an awful ball on 3rd and 3 causing the skins to have to punt late in the game, underthrows Davis on another passing attempt -- we can go back and forth all day, he even had a play where he was flushed out of the pocket and didn't get it back to the line of scrimmage - a grounding penalty which the refs missed.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #73
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
No. What happens if you replace him and Beck comes in and plays worse? Go back to Rex? Hell no. You don't pull Rex until it starts costing us games, at that point, you put in Beck and roll with him the rest of the way.
What happens if Rex costs us a game or two and Beck comes in and plays really well?

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #74
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Rex throws an awful ball on 3rd and 3 causing the skins to have to punt late in the game, underthrows Davis on another passing attempt -- we can go back and forth all day, he even had a play where he was flushed out of the pocket and didn't get it back to the line of scrimmage - a grounding penalty which the refs missed.
Exactly we can go back and forth that's why I don't tend to pay attention to the "well he could have an interception there" argument because it's easy to counter one "he could have" with another.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #75
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Bingo.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote