Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down

I think there's a fine line between blaming playcalling and blaming Rex for bad execution/decision making. I lean more towards blaming Rex. Seems like these past few games he got away from having any patience and went back to the Rex of old thinking he can just chuck it all over the field.

It's like the deeper into the hole he went, he just kept making things worse and ended up burying himself.

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #47
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I love how people here spend years bitching about how conservative we are, how we never go for the big touchdowns, how awesome teams like the Patriots don't settle for field goals.

But when we go for a big play at home on our first drive of a 0-0 game, then we want to talk about playing the percentages
Um Rex Grossman is our QB. Being aggressive is fine. I'm all for it. But when you have a QB who throws multiple int's a game then you can't be aggressive. He should've had at least 4 more this year cause guys flat our dropped picks that hit them dead in their hands.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #48
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

It evens out, there were interceptions that never should have been. Grossman has also thrown deep completions and TDs, so to say we shouldn't have been aggressive at that point is just 20/20 hindsight
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #49
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

I have to say that I'm very disappointed in Kyle's game plan that featured so little running plays against a team who ranks very low on run defense. If you aren't going to game plan against weaknesses, then you won't be coaching in the NFL long.

Rex. Sweet baby jesus christ on a cracker. Dude should have been pulled at the half. Was absolutely horrible. I've said it time and time again about Rex. His pocket presence and mobility are absolutely horrible. Beck did a much better job in relief with just those two areas alone. I think it's time to put the Rex starting gig to rest now, and just let Beck roll with it to see what the kid has. If he craps the bed, we just draft a QB position and go from there. If he's much better than expected, we win games and possibly keep him as the starter until we can get somebody to study under him.

1st half defense. There was none. End of story. I hope Shanny makes these guys work their asses off next year's bye week because they surely sucked balls coming out of this years.

WRs- Not helping much at all with the costly drops. It's definitely time to upgrade this position.

I say our only bright spots were Gano, Rocca, and perhaps Fred Davis.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #50
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
The 1st Half Defense: Couldn't believe it when Landry said after the game that they basically came out in the first half without any sense of purpose. Couldn't believe it because it showed. I know, I know Rex's interceptions tired them out early. That's total bull. The defense played sloppy the first half, missing tackles, completely whiffing when trying to jam a receiver (c'mon Barnes!), not diving after tipped balls. Seemed like Rocky was just standing there on the Celek tipped catch. And a makeshift OL for the Eagles, and we got almost zero pressure. I'll give them a stud for turning things around, but early on they looked ugly.
Yup. People want to excuse the defense for its studly second half performance and, instead, focus on the ineptitude of Rex. Okay, we held the Eagles to 20 - but we spotted them those right out of the gate. You don't think that effects how the rest of the game is played? A pass happy KS is faced with a 20 point deficit - you think "Okay, time to resurrect the run game" is running through his head at that point? We all knew that, for the team to succeed, Rex needed to be put in a a caretaker/game manager mode.

The defense came out and got torched putting all the worst elements of the team's offense to the forefront. 20 points over 4 quarters is acceptable. 20 points in the first half - including two long drives for TD's - is not. Good job turning it around, but that first half was abysmal and set the team up to lose. The ineptitude of Sexy Rexy did the rest.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #51
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownskinfan View Post
Ive said it many times before and been mostly shot down{because kyle was so great in houston,blah blah blah}
I hated this hire from the get go because as long as mikes here sos his son.If kyle wasnt his son I wouldnt have had a problem with the hire,but theres a HUGE conflict of interest

Completely agree. Just the perception, that im positive many players and other coaches have, of the sitution is bad for the team.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #52
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
It evens out, there were interceptions that never should have been. Grossman has also thrown deep completions and TDs, so to say we shouldn't have been aggressive at that point is just 20/20 hindsight
Bottom line, the guy isn't an NFL starter. I've seen enough.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #53
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
This is no surprise anymore.....and I've got a HUGE problem with that. I don't know what the hell he's getting paid, but it's too much. If you aren't evaluating the opponent's weaknesses and preparing your gameplan to exploit those weaknesses you should be fired immediately.

This piss-poor playcalling/gameplanning is becoming a trend. If it doesn't improve before mid-season, MS needs to either take the OC reigns and minimize KS's role or get rid of him. This is not difficult to fix, I could fix it tomorrow.
Its horrible and in my opinion its all the fault of Mike. Mike is allowing Kyle to continue to call horrible games. Kyle is calling horrible games and is continuing to put Rex in situations that Rex is horrible suited for. Rex has played pretty bad, but i think its in part because hes being forced by Kyle to do something that hes not good at. And Mike is allowing it.

Its a pretty easy fix. Mike just needs to take over game planning and play calling. Coach to the team's strengths and attack the opposing teams weaknesses, then get fancy.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #54
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:

My hindsight is better than most (20/10)….

Rex’s decision making is as bad as it gets. Theres being aggressive but smart and then theres being aggressive no matter the cost. Rex is the latter. I don’t put it on Rex though I put it on Kyle continually putting Rex in situations that don’t suit Rex’s strengths and expecting different outcomes.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #55
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
My smack down is to Rex and Kyle primarily, but to the team in general for letting the Eagles' season off the hook. At 1-5, they're done. Now they're 2-4, they just got a division win heading into a bye, and coming off the bye they play 3 straight at home. Not only did we blow a massive opportunity to improve our season, we breathed life right back into one of our major rivals. Failure.
Very reminiscent of the Giants game a few years ago when we let them off the hook and they rolled right into the playoffs.

That said, we don't need Beck to be great, just competent. If he can at least achieve that, I suspect it will make a world of difference on both sides of the ball.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #56
12thMan
MVP

At the end of the day you can only put so much blame on Kyle. Rex Grossman is out there playing the game, not Kyle or Coach Shanny. I think we have a situation here where the offensive coordinator has his limitations and his chosen quarterback has even more.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #57
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I normally don't like to point the finger at one guy but Rex just killed us yesterday. Each pick was worse than the one before. I think he was pressing and trying to make something happen, I get that, but you can't just keep tossing balls up for grabs. It's Beck's turn, he can't be worse than Rex... can he?
Not a chance in hell he's worse than Rex. Sometimes offense is very much about getting in a rhythm. My gut tells me with more reps in this offense, his accuracy issues will be resolved.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #58
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
At the end of the day you can only put so much blame on Kyle. Rex Grossman is out there playing the game, not Kyle or Coach Shanny. I think we have a situation here where the offensive coordinator has his limitations and his chosen quarterback has even more.
Yeah I agree. There's plenty of blame to go around but in the end Rex is simply making horrible decisions out there. What happened to what he said a few weeks ago, that this offense is designed to get someone open on every play and his job is to stay patient and find him?

Lately that seems to be out the window and Rex is back to saying F it, I've got the best arm in the league and I can make any throw.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #59
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Beck also can move around and with the injuries to the line his mobility is going to be crucial.

I'd also like to see a new play caller.

Again... the helmet to helmet hits are going to happen. It can't be avioded. That call on Orakpo should've gotten that ref suspended. Not only was it a god awful call but it was a momentum killer and had an effect on the outcome of the game.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #60
Meks
Pro Bowl

that was the worst call I've seen all year and yes he should ****in fired
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is online now   Reply With Quote