Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

If Peyton were traded....

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Re: If Peyton were traded....

Didn't Manning just sign a new contract during the offseason? And any team that acquires him also acquires that huge contract (which I believe is the richest in the league at present).

I'd say that if ANY team in the NFL would benefit from the "Suck for Luck" campaign, it is the Rams.

If the Rams end up with the #1 overall pick, they could easily trade out of that.
They already have their franchise QB in Bradford, they don't need Luck.

Also with the rookie wage scale in place, more teams will now want to trade into the top 10 rather than out of it.

Rams could trade out of that #1 spot and could easily end up with 3 to 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Surround Bradford with some weapons and see what happens.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
Mechanix544
The Starter

if carson palmer got 2 1st rounders, then manning would command that AND some, say another 2nd rounder at least, regardless of age. You know how much the team that would gain manning would make marketing his ass? The jerseys would sell like frikkin hotcakes, and hey, who is to say that once he is healthy, he cant play for 4 or 5 more seasons? Its rarely done, but if you get him completely healthy, if anyone can play and be super productive late into his years, its peyton manning.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
if carson palmer got 2 1st rounders, then manning would command that AND some, say another 2nd rounder at least, regardless of age. You know how much the team that would gain manning would make marketing his ass? The jerseys would sell like frikkin hotcakes, and hey, who is to say that once he is healthy, he cant play for 4 or 5 more seasons? Its rarely done, but if you get him completely healthy, if anyone can play and be super productive late into his years, its peyton manning.
I agree with you on all points but I don't see 4 or 5 more years out of manning.

I think it is a long shot in most people's opinions that he makes even one more year, if he comes back at all. QB's can live on through bad knees, bum shoulders, etc, but this is the man's freaking neck and his quality of life after football and posisble his life is on the line every time he goes on the field. It is true with every player, but i think he is especially gambling to come back and attempt to play after 3 surgeries on his neck.

If it was just the issue of having a fragile neck, then hey, maybe he does come back. But he has lasting nerve damage that has caused him to lose 50% of his arm strength, and is now affecting his back and the way he is able to move. If he comes back in this condition, think an arm weaker than Chad Pennington, but at least he still has his smarts about him.

I think Peyton may have played his last game as a Colt, i think they will trade him and his huge contact to another team who considers him worth the risk that he might play one more year in that condition and be enough for that team to get to the super bowl.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I think it will be interesting to see what the Colts do if they get the first overall pick.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
44ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I think it will be interesting to see what the Colts do if they get the first overall pick.
99.9% Colts go after Luck.
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Pretty much zero chance the Redskins, Jets or Ravens a trade for Peyton Manning next year, especially for a first and third rounder. Seahawks - doubt it. I think someone already said it, too much QB talent coming out of the draft. Peyton probably stays where he is, whether or not they take Luck.
The colts would never trade manning. He is the entire identity of the franchise and one of the best QBs of all time. The colts would face a backlash that would make the Vick dogfighting thing look like kibbles and bits.

Great QBs can leave on their own if the franchise doesn't want to pay them but they can never be traded.
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

If the Redskins ever went after old man Manning, I'd go beat up the FO with a baseball bat.

I mean how many more years does Manning really have in him? I don't see him pulling a Favre and staying way past his due and he just had 2 neck surgeries. I give him another 3 years at most, depending on how he rebounds from these surgeries.

The Skins really need to start building around the draft and young guys, which they finally started doing last year. Please, please please keep this up.

Going after old farts and big names has rarely worked out in the past.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
Eknox
Impact Rookie

I see the cowboys dumping Tony Elmo and signing Peyton for Jerry's world.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #24
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Didn't Manning just sign a new contract during the offseason? And any team that acquires him also acquires that huge contract (which I believe is the richest in the league at present).

I'd say that if ANY team in the NFL would benefit from the "Suck for Luck" campaign, it is the Rams.

If the Rams end up with the #1 overall pick, they could easily trade out of that.

Also with the rookie wage scale in place, more teams will now want to trade into the top 10 rather than out of it.

Rams could trade out of that #1 spot and could easily end up with 3 to 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Or they could draft Luck and trade Bradford.... You think Shanahan wouldn't go for that one?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #25
diehard
The Starter

Peyton can't win it by himself in Indy. Haven't we already realized this? I say let the Colts keep paying him regardless of they have a chance to draft Luck.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #26
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Why would the Ravens, even the Jets, be interested? They seem pretty set at QB.

The Jets are pretty far from set @ QB. The ONLY things keeping Sanchez as the starter there is that they have Brunell as the #2 and that they drafted him so high as a lottery pick. I think if the Jets (and any team not completely solid at QB) would try to go after Peyton Manning if he became available. Even a lot of teams solid @ QB would at least see what the Colts would be asking.
REDSKINZ-RIDEORDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 AM   #27
skins89moss
Playmaker

No lets stop the madness, we need to draft our QB. Lets stop taking all these retreads and groom a young QB from the draft to be our guy.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #28
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Why is this a thread?There is no chance of the Colts giving up Manning...none,nada,zip,ZERO!!!Yes they might take Luck then pull what Greenbay did...sit him and let him learn from the master.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post

I don't recall the exact details. But as I recall the contract is set up in such a way that it wouldn't be hard for the Colts to cut or trade Manning after this season. And if they traded him, the receiving team wouldn't necessarily be burdened with an outrageous contract.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
dmek25
MVP

moot point...all of this. Manning will never play another down in the nfl