Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #76
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Re: The "Inside Word" on the QB Search

Only a couple days removed from the last game of the regular season, and the rumors of where these quarterbacks are going to land next season are already mind boggling. I think it's a stretch that Denver will be able to move up to #2 to land RG III. I don't see that happening at all.

I'm almost expecting the Redskins to merely grab a better backup QB through free agency, use their draft picks to continue building depth, and living with Rex one more year in hopes of landing Barkley next year. Might not be such a bad idea.

Advertisements
Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #77
Meks
Pro Bowl

^ I have also mulled this thought, i think its a strong possibility
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #78
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Only a couple days removed from the last game of the regular season, and the rumors of where these quarterbacks are going to land next season are already mind boggling. I think it's a stretch that Denver will be able to move up to #2 to land RG III. I don't see that happening at all.

I'm almost expecting the Redskins to merely grab a better backup QB through free agency, use their draft picks to continue building depth, and living with Rex one more year in hopes of landing Barkley next year. Might not be such a bad idea.
And if the Skins go 6-9, with a bottom third pick again?

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #79
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well the Seahawks, who I still think are the favorites for Flynn, will take one of those guys at 12 (I think it's 12) if they're available (and they don't get Flynn)

And there's also the Dolphins, who interestingly enough could be interviewing Mike Sherman for a head coaching position.

So they can't drop back too much it seems
Although I seem to be the only one here arguing for grabbing Tannehill or Jones at #6, this is why. I would not trade back any later than #8. Otherwise the Fins or Seahawks may grab our guy, thus meaning we've missed our guy for the second straight year. Reach be damned - get your guy.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #80
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I think Landry Jones could start day one in Kyle's offense because I don't think Kyle's offense requires the quarterback to have a great grasp of coverages to complete passes down the field.
I think either QB has the skillset to start or sit.
I'm not into predicting whether a QB can/will start.
Its largely dependent on the volition of the staff that drafts them.

Quote:
The biggest Landry Jones problem is how much his accuracy suffers when he is pressured. I mean, every quarterback's accuracy suffers when pressured, but when Jones can stand back and deliver the football, he's really accurate. When he has to move, he has awful fundamentals. Right now, Landry Jones lacks even the ability to buy an extra half second to get rid of the ball. Which should be worrisome.
Yeah, that's one of the reason why I think Tannehill is a better prospect.

Quote:
I still think he's a much better fit than Tannehill. Kyle requires a passer with superior pocket mechanics
Que paso?

I don't follow your reasoning on why you think Jones is a better fit?
Tannehill knows the offense, Tannehill is more mobile and can extend plays.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #81
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
I'll probably say this a lot between now and mid-March, but Chad Henne is younger, more proven and has better tools than Matt Flynn. See for yourself:

Chad Henne NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Matt Flynn NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm not even sure I understand the argument for Flynn over Henne. We don't know how good Flynn is? The Packers are better at developing QBs than the Dolphins? A mixture of weak reasoning?

Henne should get at least one and a half times what Flynn gets in guaranteed money.

Well Chad Henne is younger, but only by 12 days.... so im not sure if that really counts. Also im not sure what you mean by more "tools"? I do agree that he's more proven.

The thing that i like about Flynn is that, to me, the Packers offenive seems very simular to ours. Maybe im wrong, but the biggest difference to me seems to be the play calling and that GB seems more relient on their TE. The Dolphine's offense isnt really all that simular to ours. I know they had a new cordinator this year so im not really sure what type of offensive they have/had.

It just seems to me, given the simularities between our offenses, Flynn should be highly considered.... as long as he doesnt get franchised and requires a trade to move. But im with you, Id also be happy with the younger Henne. Both should be and likely are on the Redskins radar.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #82
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

Que paso?

I'm with you all around on this and with Tripp on the points of agreement.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #83
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
The Tebow lovefest is over and they're not even eliminated from the playoffs?
.500-sub .500 teams are dangerous early in the playoffs. The 7-9 Seahawks won last year against NOLA. 8-8 Chargers beat Indy in 2008. All the while Minnesota and St. Louis both won their first round games in 2004 as 8-8 teams.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #84
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

Que paso?

Well, Tannehill trying to push the ball down the field, even into wide open spaces in zone coverage, really leaves a lot to be desired. And that's what you're asked to do in this offense. Maybe we're seeing an inconsistent mechanical issue that's causing Tannehill this trouble. Tannehill's tendency to throw blind deeper into the progression isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it's a red flag.

The potential dealbreaker on Tannehill in this offense will be to what degree his athleticism helps or limits his pocket passing ability. At Texas A&M, Tannehill proved he could throw underneath on the run with good fundamental mechanics, but the downfield throws were not ones he made, particularly when they moved the pocket with him. If he progresses into an elite pocket passer with the ability to move with the football, that makes him one of the best players in the league at the position. If he progresses into a quick triggered player from the pocket who never learns to use or trust his eyes, he won't last very long.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #85
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post

It is a bad idea because Barkley will be pick number 1
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #86
SkinItup
Special Teams

Quote:
Well, Tannehill trying to push the ball down the field, even into wide open spaces in zone coverage, really leaves a lot to be desired. And that's what you're asked to do in this offense. Maybe we're seeing an inconsistent mechanical issue that's causing Tannehill this trouble. Tannehill's tendency to throw blind deeper into the progression isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it's a red flag.

The potential dealbreaker on Tannehill in this offense will be to what degree his athleticism helps or limits his pocket passing ability. At Texas A&M, Tannehill proved he could throw underneath on the run with good fundamental mechanics, but the downfield throws were not ones he made, particularly when they moved the pocket with him. If he progresses into an elite pocket passer with the ability to move with the football, that makes him one of the best players in the league at the position. If he progresses into a quick triggered player from the pocket who never learns to use or trust his eyes, he won't last very long.
I'm right there with you. Tannehill has looked good at times but never for a whole game. He has a good arm but his ability to read college D is shaky and he is about as consistent throwing the ball as Locker.

At most trade down and get another 2nd round pick and maybe another late round pick and hope he is still there in the teens.

Last edited by SkinItup; 01-03-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #87
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Although I seem to be the only one here arguing for grabbing Tannehill or Jones at #6, this is why. I would not trade back any later than #8. Otherwise the Fins or Seahawks may grab our guy, thus meaning we've missed our guy for the second straight year. Reach be damned - get your guy.
Excellent point.

Sidenote: Where is Slingin' Sammy 33?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #88
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Excellent point.

Sidenote: Where is Slingin' Sammy 33?

Out researching GOP candidates. :cheeky-sm
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #89
T.O.Killa
The Starter

If we take Jones, we should pick up Tebow when the Broncos cut him, so Tebow can run the offense in the Redzone since Jones does not know how.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #90
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Well, Tannehill trying to push the ball down the field, even into wide open spaces in zone coverage, really leaves a lot to be desired. And that's what you're asked to do in this offense.
I'm a little confused by what you mean here.
Do you think Tannehill can't drive the ball with velocity on intermediate throws? Or do you mean the deep ball on a go-route?

Tannehill's ability to drive the ball with velocity on intermediate routes is a strength to my eye.
His deep ball touch doesn't match his ability to drive the ball, I would rate his deep ball as average.

Quote:
Tannehill's tendency to throw blind deeper into the progression isn't a dealbreaker for me, but it's a red flag.
Don't understand what you mean by 'throw blind'.
But, Tannehill follows his progressions as well as any other top prospect considering his level of experience.
It also helps that he's making his progressions from a pro-style offense that is a direct variant of Kyle's offense.

Quote:
The potential dealbreaker on Tannehill in this offense will be to what degree his athleticism helps or limits his pocket passing ability.
Completely disagree.
There is no way to spin athleticism into a negative.
Athleticism doesn't limit a prospect in anyway, its only a strength.

Quote:
At Texas A&M, Tannehill proved he could throw underneath on the run with good fundamental mechanics, but the downfield throws were not ones he made, particularly when they moved the pocket with him.
Disagree completely.
One of the reason I followed Tannehill last year was his arm talent.
Tannehill can drive the ball with velocity both inside and outside the pocket.
I would think this is evident in any A&M game.
The playcalling's reliance (often times to fault) on Tannehill's ability to throw deep comebacks and deep outs are a testament to his ability to drive the ball downfield.

I'm still trying to understand your view of Jones vs Tannehill as fit for this offense.

Last edited by 30gut; 01-03-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Closed Thread