Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Anyone been to a game in the New Orleans Superdome?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Counter-Tre
Special Teams

Anyone been to a game in the New Orleans Superdome?

God help me, I turn 40 September 7th this year and I am treating myself. I am flying to the Big Easy and my burgundy and gold ass will be in the stands for RGIII's debut. Is it a nice stadium? How hostile are the fans? What's the tailgaiting situation? Any input would be appreciated. Hail!
Counter-Tre is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm actually looking today For tickets myself! But I would drive it's about 12 hours. Yes I've been several times to saints games when I lived down there and it's a good atmosphere, obviously anywhere you will have idiots trying to start crap but I think it's a good place to go watch a game. I'm for sure going to@ NO or@ STL week 2 . HTTR

Edit: stadium was re done after Katrina and its much nicer inside.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Re: Anyone been to a game in the New Orleans Superdome?

Have been doing the same myself. Skins fans should be able to take advantage of a weak NO team fanbase looking to offload their tickets.

Either way I'll be there also. HTTR!
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter-Tre View Post
God help me, I turn 40 September 7th this year and I am treating myself. I am flying to the Big Easy and my burgundy and gold ass will be in the stands for RGIII's debut. Is it a nice stadium? How hostile are the fans? What's the tailgaiting situation? Any input would be appreciated. Hail!
I've never been to the stadium but I do know where to tailgait.

firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinRat View Post
Have been doing the same myself. Skins fans should be able to take advantage of a weak NO team fanbase looking to offload their tickets.

Either way I'll be there also. HTTR!
Truly laughable! I KNOW you have never been to the Superdome or New Orleans for that matter. Anyway, back to the O.P., The tailgating scene is a good one, all around the Dome. I prefer to meet up with friends around the Rampart-Julia parking lots. Normal tailgating activities, (drinks, food, cornhole, tossing the pigskin), with some New Orleans flare, (food, drinks, music-quite often live). You really can't go wrong, whether you pre-game in a bar or restaurant or head to the Dome for tailgating. Another thing to remember is it is a Noon game, so that tends to be a little less wild than a later or night game. The atmosphere is generally pretty friendly, unless you piss off the wrong people, which is pretty common at any venue. As far as weak fan base goes... I have been to at least 5 NFL venues RFK, FED EX, The Superdome, Candlestick, Veterans stadium, and plenty of college and other pro sport stadiums, and NONE OF THEM stands up to the Dome in terms of vocal support (volume), and fan turn out. The fans are die hard, and to be perfectly honest, I was disgusted at the turnout of Redskins fans the last 2 games I have attended at Fed Ex after having been a Saints season ticket holder the last 6 years, and going from the Dome to Fed Ex, I was appalled that at both last years 49ers game, and the Giants game, half of the attendees were for the other team!!! You will never find that the case in the Superdome.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
Truly laughable! I KNOW you have never been to the Superdome or New Orleans for that matter. Anyway, back to the O.P., The tailgating scene is a good one, all around the Dome. I prefer to meet up with friends around the Rampart-Julia parking lots. Normal tailgating activities, (drinks, food, cornhole, tossing the pigskin), with some New Orleans flare, (food, drinks, music-quite often live). You really can't go wrong, whether you pre-game in a bar or restaurant or head to the Dome for tailgating. Another thing to remember is it is a Noon game, so that tends to be a little less wild than a later or night game. The atmosphere is generally pretty friendly, unless you piss off the wrong people, which is pretty common at any venue. As far as weak fan base goes... I have been to at least 5 NFL venues RFK, FED EX, The Superdome, Candlestick, Veterans stadium, and plenty of college and ncaa stadiums, and NONE OF THEM stands up to the Dome in terms of vocal support (volume), and fan turn out. The fans are die hard, and to be perfectly honest, I was disgusted at the turnout of Redskins fans the last 2 games I have attended at Fed Ex after having been a Saints season ticket holder the last 6 years, and going from the Dome to Fed Ex, I was appalled that at both last years 49ers game, and the Giants game, half of the attendees were for the other team!!! You will never find that the case in the Superdome.
I agree with RJ here, everything I've heard about the NO fanbase indicates they are pretty rabid about their team down there, and you know the fanbase will be amped up to show their support this season in spite of BountyGate.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter-Tre View Post
You know...I was thinking about doing the same thing. I went there last year and had a great time. New Orleans is such a fun unique city w/ great food. Never been to the Superdome but the people down there are super cool. The Superdome is a short cab ride from the French Quarter so that's where I'd do my tailgaiting, and w/out queston that's where you'll want to stay.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Truly laughable! I KNOW you have never been to the Superdome or New Orleans for that matter. Anyway, back to the O.P., The tailgating scene is a good one, all around the Dome. I prefer to meet up with friends around the Rampart-Julia parking lots. Normal tailgating activities, (drinks, food, cornhole, tossing the pigskin), with some New Orleans flare, (food, drinks, music-quite often live). You really can't go wrong, whether you pre-game in a bar or restaurant or head to the Dome for tailgating. Another thing to remember is it is a Noon game, so that tends to be a little less wild than a later or night game. The atmosphere is generally pretty friendly, unless you piss off the wrong people, which is pretty common at any venue. As far as weak fan base goes... I have been to at least 5 NFL venues RFK, FED EX, The Superdome, Candlestick, Veterans stadium, and plenty of college and other pro sport stadiums, and NONE OF THEM stands up to the Dome in terms of vocal support (volume), and fan turn out. The fans are die hard, and to be perfectly honest, I was disgusted at the turnout of Redskins fans the last 2 games I have attended at Fed Ex after having been a Saints season ticket holder the last 6 years, and going from the Dome to Fed Ex, I was appalled that at both last years 49ers game, and the Giants game, half of the attendees were for the other team!!! You will never find that the case in the Superdome.
Yeah I agree....they have some pretty hard core fans down there. Great NFL city.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Yeah the Saints fan base is as loyal and rabid as they come.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Truly laughable! I KNOW you have never been to the Superdome or New Orleans for that matter. <SNIP> You will never find that the case in the Superdome.
If that's the case them it's pretty impressive. Everything I've read (and seen firsthand) points to losing teams inability to fill seats.

Few things piss me off more than a fanbase that can't hang through the tough times (this comes from a background of UK football where 'rabid' takes on a slightly more accurate meaning), I've been to Chargers, Cardinals, Niners and Seahawks and seen the half filled stadiums.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
If that's the case them it's pretty impressive. Everything I've read (and seen firsthand) points to losing teams inability to fill seats.

Few things piss me off more than a fanbase that can't hang through the tough times (this comes from a background of UK football where 'rabid' takes on a slightly more accurate meaning), I've been to Chargers, Cardinals, Niners and Seahawks and seen the half filled stadiums.
I hear you, on the fair weather fan thing, it really grinds my gears. I am also a fan of EPL and UEFA, and I have to agree with your assessment of their fans, the closest I've seen is in Philly, where they will kick your ass for no other reason than you're there, and they feel like it. I lived in Philly for 3 years in the early 90's and I attended A PRESEASON game vs the Vikings. After the halftime intermission and it became apparent that the Vikes were going to win, some local Vinnies and Genos decided they had enough of the 3 Viking fans that were cheering on the rail of the upper deck. Thats right, the old Eagles fans tested the Viking fan's wings not 15 rows down from where I sat. It was truly an eye opening experience as a 12-13 year old to not piss off the wrong people and be aware of your surroundings..

Last edited by Redskin Jim; 06-04-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Redskin Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Last I checked the Saints aren't a losing team.

The Dome will be rocking week 1 for sure.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Last I checked the Saints aren't a losing team.

The Dome will be rocking week 1 for sure.
Suspended players, coaches etc.....
Old 06-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Suspended players, coaches etc.....
Guaranteed that's not going to hurt attendance especially week 1. If anything the bountygate drama has rallied the fans to have an us against the world mentality, and I'm sure the players will take that view too.

Plus they're still loaded on offense.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Guaranteed that's not going to hurt attendance especially week 1. If anything the bountygate drama has rallied the fans to have an us against the world mentality, and I'm sure the players will take that view too.

Plus they're still loaded on offense.
Yup. I know plenty of fans down here who feel persecuted because of bountygate and they are, if anything, more fired up than ever because of it.

Maybe if the Saints struggle then the energy may wane a little by November. But in week one Saints fans will be out for blood like never before.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote