Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Gun Control Thread- Should we?

Debating with the enemy

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #46
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Gun Control Thread- Should we?

As mentioned previously, we've had this discussion before. Personally, I think there should be a form of gun control. I think the idea of localized gun control makes sense. I see no need for assault rifles to be legal and little need for hand guns to be legal. I enjoy shooting guns. I'll go out and shoot trap or go to the range from time to time. I enjoy it as an activity for entertainment. However, these are tools for killing other humans plain and simple.

To be honest, my real issue with it is the ease at which someone can purchase a firearm. While assault rifles and handguns are more strict. At 17 me and 4 friends were able to buy a rifle, at walmart, with ammo within 20 minutes. Oh yeah.. we were all drunk. To me, there's an issue with the ease at which I purchased a firearm. Many of those things were not legal and the oversight was not there to keep it from happening.

Yes, people will find ways to get guns. However it puts them in precarious situations, will become much more expensive, and difficult to obtain for those not in tune with the criminal element. To me, fewer guns is better than more guns. Just because someone goes through a couple hour class about gun ownership doesn't give them the training, understanding, or ability to operate the gun in a stressful situation. I have two friends with conceal carry and it makes me nervous. They hear a loud noise and they start to reach down. They're just waiting to be a hero.

For every study one side shows the other side can counter. You can twist and contort all sorts of numbers and make them work to your advantage. Every article I see on it is slanted to their way. Imagine that, gunowners.org has numbers to say how much safer we are because of gun ownership. Oh look! hippiesagainstguns.org have numbers that counter those numbers. All I know is that a majority of violent crimes are commited with firearms. Would that change with a ban, probably not. Would the number drop? Hopefully.

Finally, in regards to the tragic situation in Colorado. Saying someone being locked and loaded is going to save the day is a hard pill to swallow. No required combat training, dark theatre, tear gas, chaos, etc. Hell, I doubt many military folks have training on a situation like that. I heard the same thing about the guy in the tower with a sniper rifle -- somehow someone with a handgun would have stopped him! Doubtful.

What happens if one of these concealed carry guys kills someone while trying to kill the shooter? To me, that is cold blooded murder and they should go to jail for life or have the death penalty. In situations, such as this one, there is absolute chaos. People running everywhere. It's not as if there's a clear path. Would it be possible for that person to stop the threat? Maybe. Personally, I'd rather make it more difficult for psychos to get out there. Will it still happen? Of course. Would it limit these occurrences? I believe so.

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #47
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

I'm not sure why you guys are wasting time arguing about gun control and gun laws in general. Since when do the criminals obey laws?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #48
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I'm not sure why you guys are wasting time arguing about gun control and gun laws in general. Since when do the criminals obey laws?
I tried to make that point to the gun control supporters earlier but they don't understand that common sense point. They just think hanging a "Gun Free Zone!" sign will make the orange-haired terrorists go home and play video games to get their anger out.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #49
mredskins
MVP

Regardless of the gun control issue and for the permit record I am for folks having guns. I just don't believe we should all walk around wearing guns thinking we can stop a "sucker punch". I can even agree and have thought of buying a gun as home protection but IMO the dangers of having it in my home out weigh the benefit of protection; simply my opinion.

Now what really scares me about the CO shooting was my reaction Friday morning when learning about. I was very cavalry about the whole situation. I made some in bad taste post on here and even thought to myself driving into work that I couldn't wait to dive into the story when I got to my computer. Has this world made me that desensitized to violence? I feel ashamed, especially now after reading some of the victims stories. I am afraid a lot of our society is heading that way; thinking it is just the next news story.

We as a society glorify violence so much. You don't even have to look past the theater the shooting happened in to see the violence. People were there to watch a violent movie.

Even folks on here that are very anti-gun love to play games like GTA or Modern Warfare. What makes us fantasize about violence so much? I will be the first to raise my hand and say it is cool to run my car through a bunch of people on GTA and see what happens or shoot down a bunch of folks on MMW2.

I am not really asking for a answer; just my thoughts over the past few days and my fear of what my children's world will look like when they are my age.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #50
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

As I addressed in my post. Will it completely keep criminals away from guns? Absolutely not. However, if there's a limited supply. Demand goes up. Eventually it becomes both difficult and expensive to get your hands on a gun meaning FEWER psychos are able to get them. It's not something you'll completely eliminate, but it's something you can greatly reduce.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #51
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
As I addressed in my post. Will it completely keep criminals away from guns? Absolutely not. However, if there's a limited supply. Demand goes up. Eventually it becomes both difficult and expensive to get your hands on a gun meaning FEWER psychos are able to get them. It's not something you'll completely eliminate, but it's something you can greatly reduce.
They've tried this tactic with terrorism, drugs, and alcohol. It doesn't work.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #52
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Regardless of the gun control issue and for the permit record I am for folks having guns. I just don't believe we should all walk around wearing guns thinking we can stop a "sucker punch". I can even agree and have thought of buying a gun as home protection but IMO the dangers of having it in my home out weigh the benefit of protection; simply my opinion.

Now what really scares me about the CO shooting was my reaction Friday morning when learning about. I was very cavalry about the whole situation. I made some in bad taste post on here and even thought to myself driving into work that I couldn't wait to dive into the story when I got to my computer. Has this world made me that desensitized to violence? I feel ashamed, especially now after reading some of the victims stories. I am afraid a lot of our society is heading that way; thinking it is just the next news story.

We as a society glorify violence so much. You don't even have to look past the theater the shooting happened in to see the violence. People were there to watch a violent movie.

Even folks on here that are very anti-gun love to play games like GTA or Modern Warfare. What makes us fantasize about violence so much? I will be the first to raise my hand and say it is cool to run my car through a bunch of people on GTA and see what happens or shoot down a bunch of folks on MMW2.

I am not really asking for a answer; just my thoughts over the past few days and my fear of what my children's world will look like when they are my age.
The only danger in having a gun in the home is when one deos not properly no how to store their gun. They don't load themself and they don't shoot themself. You keep boiling water away from kids and you keep guns away from them also. I cannot think of one time where I read about a kid shooting someone where proper firearm safty was followed.

As far as the violence on TV and games the left laughed and mocked the conservatives that questioned these things years ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
The only danger in having a gun in the home is when one deos not properly no how to store their gun. They don't load themself and they don't shoot themself. You keep boiling water away from kids and you keep guns away from them also. I cannot think of one time where I read about a kid shooting someone where proper firearm safty was followed.

As far as the violence on TV and games the left laughed and mocked the conservatives that questioned these things years ago.
That is your opinion and you have a right to it. We don't see eye to eye on that one.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #54
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I tried to make that point to the gun control supporters earlier but they don't understand that common sense point. They just think hanging a "Gun Free Zone!" sign will make the orange-haired terrorists go home and play video games to get their anger out.
Well duh, of course not.

We have to ban video games too.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #55
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
They've tried this tactic with terrorism, drugs, and alcohol. It doesn't work.
Exactly!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #56
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
That is your opinion and you have a right to it. We don't see eye to eye on that one.
That's not opinion thats fact. Now if you just don't feel safe having a gun around the house then that another story.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #57
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
So the answer is just let everyone have a gun? Ok
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #58
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So the answer is just let everyone have a gun? Ok
Oversimplifying it, but, "Yes".

I don't think a majority of people should be permitted to drive, but they are. Cars aren't designed to kill but they do an admirable job of the task.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #59
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post

What TV shows and video games was Andrew Kehoe a fan of?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #60
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What TV shows and video games was Andrew Kehoe a fan of?
Well since he died in 1927 probably not many but they may just be your point. =)