We are a most likely a stronger team with T Jax, Ferryweather in the lineup

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #62
MTK
\m/

Re: Brandon Meriweather Out 2-4 Weeks

Depth wise I understand the concern, I'm just not sure there's any significant drop off in talent/production.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #63
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think the more disappointing thing is T Jax is a damn idiot and it especially hurts because he was lights out great in the preseason games.

I think a drop off from say average to below average is significant, especially in a fragile secondary where our CB play is already questionable.

I think the pressure falls now on M Williams to play well.

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #64
Meks
Pro Bowl

^ and i FEAR that statement, against the saints especially
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #65
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Even with Jackson and Merriweather our secondary was not very good. These guys are cast offs from other teams for various reasons. Merriweather was let go by a bad New England defense, benched by Chicago and then released. Does this happen to good football players? No. His Pro Bowl days or day is long gone.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #66
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
btw what happened to Nick Collins, did he retire from that neck injury or what?
we share the same thoughts on all your posts in this thread and I was wondering the exact same thing. When healthy this guy is elite. I would even pick him up if he has a chance to become healthy. We are in desperate need of playmakers at safety. I was comfortable with TJax and Merriweather. I just dont trust Gomes Doughty and company, Madiu is ok but i hope im wrong and they are ok but i think they will get torched. I have even tried to find next years top free agents at safety and in the draft lol but like i said i hope im wrong and we are ok there.
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #67
RGIII

I just hope Bernstine is backing up Williams and has been improving to take over that position.
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #68
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

You can bust on Reed but some how he has stayed on the same team for a long time by NFL standards he must be doing something good. Merriweather and Jackson can't say that they are journey men.
but Reed has only a 46 man coverage rating in madden!1!!!1

In all seriousness, I think guy has value as a special teams player and as a strictly in the box safety. I don't envision us loading the box toouch against new Orleans unless their interim hc has a vastly different play calling philosophy from Payton.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #69
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Wow, forgive the grammar and spelling on that, was via tapatalk.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #70
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba305-ST21- View Post
we share the same thoughts on all your posts in this thread and I was wondering the exact same thing. When healthy this guy is elite. I would even pick him up if he has a chance to become healthy. We are in desperate need of playmakers at safety. I was comfortable with TJax and Merriweather. I just dont trust Gomes Doughty and company, Madiu is ok but i hope im wrong and they are ok but i think they will get torched. I have even tried to find next years top free agents at safety and in the draft lol but like i said i hope im wrong and we are ok there.
I really would love to know how many fans, if they had the chance to be a GM would fall into the Vinny Cerrato mold. Here's what I mean:

Vinny Cerrato absolutely believed in the importance of "the" player. A superstar or stand out player was the answer to any weakness, and conversely any weakness was simply a deficient player.

Now, I am not saying that you don't want to always watch for a more talented player, but the biggest thing about football is that it truly is a team sport. Good coaching can cover multitudes of player gaffes, and mediocre players can do well in systems that understand their weaknesses. Will we have the number 1 safety play, or CB play, no absolutely not. Should we panic and sign a guy who is a "name", but not on anybody else's roster? I don't know about that.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Id like Gomes to get a shot at SS over Reed. See if he has improved.

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #72
imaskin4life
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGIII View Post
I just hope Bernstine is backing up Williams and has been improving to take over that position.
That would be great if our 7th round pick could turn out to be a quality starter for us. I wasn't all that impressed by williams in the preseason. Hopefully he shows me something that I didnt see during the regular season if he is our starter.

Although I wasn't particularly paying attention to gomes last year, when I try to remember his time on the field I can't recall any glaring problems I had with his game. For this reason, I feel ok about gomes filling in for us.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #73
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takethecake View Post
Perhaps they'll use Doughty primarily, but put in Gomes on passing downs?

And am I correct in thinking Bernstine is much too raw for anything but emergency use?
I think with the saints, every down is a passing down. I just hope whoever the safety is keeps their head on a swivel. They did lose one of their best receivers, and Brees lost some time in the preseason. That with the loss of the genius that is their coach, it could be close. But losing a mediocre safety to injury and replacing him with another mediocre player doesn't really make the situation super gloomy. I think if the saints were going to dominate us, they will have done so with or without merriweather back there, regardless.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #74
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Interesting. When we picked them up people just shrugged and said meh, they're "just guys". Now they're pro bowlers... potential difference makers. Not picking on you, just funny how perceptions can vary so greatly.
For the record, I liked the signing of Meriweather. I loved the signing of Tanard Jackson. And when comparing these guys to Gomes and Bernstein (rookie, and 2nd year) and Reed (never a good starter), its like night and day.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #75
53Fan
Franchise Player

If I recall correctly RD had a pretty nice pick in the preseason. Yeah preseason I know. He's not the most physically gifted but he's smart and he knows this defense. If we give up a lot of points...a lot of guys aren't doing they're jobs. This whole game doesn't fall on Reed Doughty. I'm not making excuses before the game even begins. The rest of the team plays to their capabilities and we get a W.