Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?
Yes 27 40.91%
No 39 59.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #16
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Will Coles be back with the Redskins next year?

I vote no. I think Joe Gibbs told the players that if someone didn't want to be there, he would try to accomodate them. Coles is willing to give back the $5 million IF HE GETS RELEASED. He's not willing to give it back if he gets traded. I think if push comes to shove, Gibbs will take him up on the $5 million give-back and try to accomodate his move out of Redskin park.

Coles wants out, but he doesn't want to give up any cash. He knows that if he's a free agent, he can afford to give up the $5 million because he knows a big signing bonus would be coming his way in free agency. That wouldn't be the case with a trade.

Releasing him would suit Gibbs as long as it doesn't kill the cap, he wants to be true to his word and treat players with respect. If Gibbs kept Coles against his wishes, he would lose a lot of credibility in the locker room. The only way they wouldn't release him outright is if he refuses to give back the $5 million altogether.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM   #17
tallestskinsfanever
Camp Scrub

I voted yes!! This reminds me of the Sean Gilbert situation. Coles agreed to a contract and he knew what type of offense that we'd be running in 2003. Now, here comes Gibbs the GREAT and Coles knew that Gibbs would be a bit rusty with play calling and such but Coles STILL caught 90 passes. Now what is really the matter Coles??? Afraid of catching the short passes and EARNING that heap of cash you collect game in and game out?? Or do you really just wanna take the ballerina way out and run deep routes with your buddy Chad??

If I was Snyder, I’d make him sit and not play him the entire season. Why should we grant him his release if he’s not willing to help us out? This act by coles is not only selfish but extremely ungrateful as well. I mean……he saw what the jets thought he was worth. And why the h#ll does he think he can effectively catch deep balls if his bum toe isn’t repaired to get good separation off the line???? He’s damaged goods…..he needs to get the surgery and apologize to Gibbs, Snyder and the fans!!!!
tallestskinsfanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
skinsttw
Special Teams

I think Coles will be back. Nobody will be able to work a contract to satisfy him in the next few business days. He will play hard and keep quiet. If the Skins start to win, he won't whine for long.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #19
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Very true. I would kind of like to see that situation. See the Redskins hold to their guns and see Coles just bury the hatchet during the season maybe by bringing in a big FA (Mason) and lighting a fire under his ass.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 PM   #20
Longtimefan
Playmaker

He should be made to return and play out his contract. It's time for the Redskins to play hardball with these type personalities. You cannot allow the Inmates to run the aslyum.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 AM   #21
That Guy
Living Legend

i said yes... he's worth keeping and honestly its going to be hard to move him... i doubt we let him go without a draft pick, and a trade would be hard to work out due to cap troubles... its usually best to let people go who aren't happy, but i don't see it working out here.

on the other hand, if we need cap space, chad morton and john hall aren't really needed and are paid very well compared to the guys who played just as well filling in for them at the end of the year. Others like mccants are posibilities too, but its penny pinching compared to blunders like brunell...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote