Maryland is (potentially) moving to the Big 10

Other Sports

Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Maryland is (potentially) moving to the Big 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
$$$ versus Founding member of the ACC steeped in history......$$$$ won, shame.....
Well said. Lost all respect for the school, pathetic

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #17
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Easy to be on a moral high ground when you're on the outside looking in
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Do you agree with what they are doing Smoot?
Or just because they got they're tit in the ringer financially, and they need bailing out?
It appears to be a purely financial move...and I view that as a shame due to the history they leave behind especially in the world of basketball. Nobody reading this board will likely live ling enough to see those types of rivalries re-kindled.
UM has never really been a consistent football program or supported any differently. Roundball however was another matter...
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Do you agree with what they are doing Smoot?
Or just because they got they're tit in the ringer financially, and they need bailing out?
It appears to be a purely financial move...and I view that as a shame due to the history they leave behind especially in the world of basketball. Nobody reading this board will likely live ling enough to see those types of rivalries re-kindled.
UM has never really been a consistent football program or supported any differently. Roundball however was another matter...
I don't have any emotional attachment to the Terps, let me just say that first. Secondly, yes I do agree. Yeah it's primarily financial. So what? It's the most important thing here. History, tradition? None of that is going to solve the school's issues. And these rivalries everyone raves about are fading away regardless. There aren't any more annual home and homes with Duke or UNC.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't have any emotional attachment to the Terps, let me just say that first. Secondly, yes I do agree. Yeah it's primarily financial. So what? It's the most important thing here. History, tradition? None of that is going to solve the school's issues. And these rivalries everyone raves about are fading away regardless. There aren't any more annual home and homes with Duke or UNC.
Yeah its a real shame college athletics have become what this is all about. Thank god the kids dont get paid right? There alot of crooks and over paid crooks in colleges athletics...its a different issue, but its all tied together. Ill miss the good things Maryland brought to the conference, but its disappointing when it comes down to money.

Well we know Mark hated to fundraise, even though he is a "well deserved" millionaire. sad

He Gets Us
Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Rutgers is following the Terps into the Big Ten.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Why are people all of the sudden acting like they never knew how much money dictated college sports? Money is the reason why Notre Dame is in the national spotlight, even though up until last year they sucked in football. Money is the reason why the ACC decided to add more teams, thus ending the home/home basketball series in what was once a basketball conference. Money is the reason why we will never see a college football playoff system.

Maryland Athletics was in a financial mess thanks to Debbie Yow and thanks for some bad decisions after there was some success in football. The move made financially and I really hope it works out for my Alma Mater.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

i hope it works, but Maryland had a serious, serious spending problem. It was never the ACC, it was fully on Maryland and there money problem is there own making...its really a shame.

He Gets Us
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
12thMan
MVP

So the arguments I've been hearing so far is, this is good for the Maryland program because of, umm, well money?

UMD is/was one of the charter members of the ACC. That's a pretty big deal to me. It's a big deal that the school has severed competitive and academic ties with the likes of Duke, UVA, and Tarheel nation. Sorry if nostalgia and tradition matters to me, but it does. It's important. And this move fukcing stinks.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

It helps them out financially, but in the long run it's going to make their football program even worse than what it is now. At least in the ACC they had some sort of a shot. In the Big 10, they have absolutely none. They'll continue to get curb stomped by the likes of Mich, OSU, MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and PSU.

I'll miss them beating Duke in basketball though. Always made me smile as a UNC fan.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #26
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
i hope it works, but Maryland had a serious, serious spending problem. It was never the ACC, it was fully on Maryland and there money problem is there own making...its really a shame.
Financial problems were due to Debbie Yow and the crazy spending that happened after the initial football success under The Fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
So the arguments I've been hearing so far is, this is good for the Maryland program because of, umm, well money?

UMD is/was one of the charter members of the ACC. That's a pretty big deal to me. It's a big deal that the school has severed competitive and academic ties with the likes of Duke, UVA, and Tarheel nation. Sorry if nostalgia and tradition matters to me, but it does. It's important. And this move fukcing stinks.
Tradition ended when the ACC decided to become a football conference and ended the home/home series with the likes of Duke and UNC.
R.I.P. #21
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Tradition ended when the ACC decided to become a football conference and ended the home/home series with the likes of Duke and UNC.
Agreed, especially since it seemed like the ACC was going to arbitrarily push to have Pitt as the new Maryland rival. As a huge Terps fan I can assure you that I don't give two shits about Pitt.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

will you care about Iowa? Big 10 dont care about maryland sports, all they want is your tv market. What does Maryland sports program bring to the big 10?

He Gets Us
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #29
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Maryland, Rutgers cash in on their incompetence with move to Big Ten - Yahoo! Sports

preach

He Gets Us
Old 11-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #30
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Wow, this is a stupid article.
R.I.P. #21