Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Small WR

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 PM   #16
celts32
Playmaker

Re: Small WR

That same wishful thinking is what has me reading Minnesotta newspapers in the first place!
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #17
Defensewins
Playmaker

This whole talk about a team has to have a big WR is overated. Look at the superbowl MVP, 5' 9'" in his cleats. The Patriots Wr's are all small except for one.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #18
Big C
Mr. Brightside

he wasnt hurt last year, he played all 16 games. branch was hurt last year, thus he started 11 games. the year before that he got injured.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #19
Skinsfanforlife
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins052bgr8
Though he was the third receiver on his team last year, look at his #'s compared to our # 1 guy last year. Not sure on exact #'s but fairly close. Patten was able to get down field also by his 18.5 yards per catch average.

Coles 90 catches, 960 yards and 1 TD

Patten 44 catches 800 yards and 7 TDS

Who had a more productive year and how many games did we lose by less than 7 sure would have liked to have had pattens six other TDS. Not all coles fault though.

No Question he is not our # 1 receiver, but very reliable. From what I understand about Edwards is he could be another Gardner, can make some spectacular catches, but sometimes those ones between the numbers casts some doubt in his mind and he will drop them.
I agree with all this, But Patten had Brady AND Coles had Burrnel who sucked and Ramsey who played well but he no Brady "YET"

Patten is not a # 1 but he a lot closer to a #1 WR then he is to a #3 WR.
Skinsfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:40 PM   #20
Monksdown
The Starter

I think that the popular misconception is that tall is good. In fact, some people openly trade tall for more important things. Like route running, run blocking, and catching(to a degree). Speed is very important, but to an extent, it's very similar to height, in that it creates separation. Height creates separation, if only at the point of reception. Speed generates openings for less accurate quarterbacks. I think that speed is something that we should focus more on because of Patrick's is more strength than touch.

The reason we like to reach for the taller receivers is because we cant get out of our heads how good Randy Moss and Terrell Owens are. There are two of them, and a shit load of teams. So I would encourage us to not trade important characteristics, like route running, for size. Timing, and practice will be the key to Patrick's success. Not playing 500 with the ball, which is not Joe Gibb's style anyway.

In conclusion, tall helps. That is all. And i would rather see David Patten run a precise 12 yard out with the ball waiting for him when he turns, than see Plaxico win a jump ball competition 35 yards down the field. Because I believe in consistency, which route running and precision provide.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #21
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
I think we would all love to see Plax end up with the Vikes which should pave the way for the Skins to get Williams or Edwards at #9, but so far the Vikes don't seem interested in Burress. Everything I keep reading says that Plax & his agent are contacting the Vikings becasue he wants to play there. It's not clear at this point if the Vikings want him though.
Why would the vikings trade one tall, pain in the ass, poor attitude receiver for another?
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
davy
Impact Rookie

From what I have read it seems as though Boldin is more likely than Burress to end up in Minnesota.

"Cardinals' officials instigated talks with the Vikings regarding a proposed trade that would send wide receiver Anquan Boldin to Minnesota in exchange for running back Michael Bennett and a second-round draft pick, according to KFAN radio, the Vikings' flagship station."
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #23
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I stated earlier that Patten would be a target of the skins, he knows how to win and he's a good character. A gibbs type player all the way. We will be upgraded all around the board, we may not make a big splash with big names, but well get some gems.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #24
I LOVE THE REDSKINS
Camp Scrub

will someone send me a messaqge telling me how to make my own postings.........thanks
I LOVE THE REDSKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:29 PM   #25
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown
Why would the vikings trade one tall, pain in the ass, poor attitude receiver for another?
To answer you they probably won't. I just want to see them add any quality WR that will keep them from drafting Williams at #7.

I am a little surprised at the lack of interest in Plax though. it's not like he is that bad a guy.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #26
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
To answer you they probably won't. I just want to see them add any quality WR that will keep them from drafting Williams at #7.

I am a little surprised at the lack of interest in Plax though. it's not like he is that bad a guy.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but it might be because he wasn't that productive after comming off of his injury last season.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #27
jdlea
Playmaker

I love the pickup of David Patten. I think these are the kind of guys the Skins need to go after. Clearly, if Coles is not going to return, they need a number one, but I'm tired of all of these offseasons where we sign all the biggest names. You can't have 24 team captains (I'm including P's and K's in case you're wondering about 24). We can't have 24 guys who are all going to the Pro Bowl. We need humble guys who will accept a role where they don't have to be the most productive player on the team. I think this will be a great pickup for the Skins.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #28
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I said it in another thread that I think this notion that you "need" a big WR isn't true.

Look at the Rams, Holt and Bruce aren't huge guys. Look at the Colts, they don't have any big WR's.

We had Rod Gardner for the last 4 years and he's considered a big possession type, where did that get us?

That being said I'd still like to see us grab Mike Williams, not just for his size but his overall talent and ability.
I agree. I am somewhat concerned with Williams' speed but he compares favorably to someone TO. Saying he was playmaker at USC is an understatement and I really see him as the biggest value in the draft this year. This guy is going to be off the board no earlier than 7 and I think will end up being the biggest impact player of the class. Every year there is at least one guy who slips for some silly reason and every team ends up kicking themselves for passing on him. Guys like Moss, Sapp, Roy Williams, Roethlisberger,Freeney,Tomlinson,Culpepper,Gonzale z...the list goes on forever of guys who in hindsight should have gone higher...much higher. Williams is the real deal.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #29
ChounsMan
Special Teams

DP is a great signing

Bravo to the front office!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #30
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
I agree. I am somewhat concerned with Williams' speed but he compares favorably to someone TO. Saying he was playmaker at USC is an understatement and I really see him as the biggest value in the draft this year. This guy is going to be off the board no earlier than 7 and I think will end up being the biggest impact player of the class. Every year there is at least one guy who slips for some silly reason and every team ends up kicking themselves for passing on him. Guys like Moss, Sapp, Roy Williams, Roethlisberger,Freeney,Tomlinson,Culpepper,Gonzale z...the list goes on forever of guys who in hindsight should have gone higher...much higher. Williams is the real deal.
The thing that worries me about Williams is USC is in the PAC 10. Not traditionally the mecca of great defenses. You are only as good as the competition you play against. College defenses and d-backs are already noticeably weaker than in the NFL, add to that the Pac 10 factor. If USC played the Miami's, Florida State's and top SEC teams every year than I would feel like you do about Williams.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote