World Cup

Other Sports

Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #61
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
yes ,and in my opinion are better athletes .
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I respect their talent and they have to be in tremendous physical shape. But there is not way the top soccer athlete could touch a top NFL athlete. Do you realize how freakin strong, explosive and fast a guy like AP is? None of the soccer guys (I think) are in his class.
Listen, this past Sunday, a guy at the bar said the same thing that G1 just said, and I'll tell you both exactly what I told him.

Comparing who's the better athlete between a soccer player and NFL players is like comparing apples to oranges. They specialize in different sports which demand completely different areas of athleticism. One requires strength and short bursts, while the other one requires speed, endurance and agility.

It's like saying who's a better athlete? Usain Bolt or Mo Farah? It's retarded to even compare the two because they are completely different.

I'll tell you what, check this special called Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit. You'll walk away amazed at this guy's talent. Not only physically, but mentally. You'll see this guy knock a header in a goal with the lights out. They throw a ball at him, and cut the lights off as soon as the ball is released. He visualizes the ball in the dark and still hits it. The sheer power of his kicks is incredible. Imagine having a soccer ball hit you at 85 mph.

"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 06-24-2014 at 11:04 AM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #62
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Listen, this past Sunday, a guy at the bar said the same thing that G1 just said, and I'll tell you both exactly what I told him.

Comparing who's the better athlete between a soccer player and NFL players is like comparing apples to oranges. They specialize in different sports which demand completely different areas of athleticism. One requires strength and short bursts, while the other one requires speed, endurance and agility.

It's like saying who's a better athlete? Usain Bolt or Mo Farah? It's retarded to even compare the two because they are completely different.

I'll tell you what, check this special on called Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit. You'll walk away amazed at this guy's talent. Not only physically, but mentally. You'll see this guy knock a header in a goal with the lights out. They throw a ball at him, and cut the lights off as soon as the ball is released. He visualizes the ball in the dark and still hits it.

If AP trained to be a soccer player he could do it. He could run around with those guys. He may not be able to kick the ball like they do, he may not be able to handle a soccer ball with his feet like they do, but he could easily hang with them running/ cutting wise. Could any of those soccer guys carry the load during a 16 games season? 300 carries? Getting hammered by 250 LB's that run 4.5? Pass protect? I seriously doubt it. He's a notch above those guys as is many other NFL players are. If this guy in the video took a carry in an NFL game he'd get manhandled and probably hurt.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #63
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
If AP trained to be a soccer player he could do it. He could run around with those guys. He may not be able to kick the ball like they do, he may not be able to handle a soccer ball with his feet like they do, but he could easily hang with them running/ cutting wise. Could any of those soccer guys carry the load during a 16 games season? 300 carries? Getting hammered by 250 LB's that run 4.5? Pass protect? I seriously doubt it. He's a notch above those guys as is many other NFL players are. If this guy in the video took a carry in an NFL game he'd get manhandled and probably hurt.
Spoken like someone who admittedly has no real knowledge or respect for the sport of soccer
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #64
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Well, if it's just "running around" on the field, hell, if I was in my 20's and busted my ass, I could eventually "run around with those guys."

The things soccer players do with their bodies and their ability to control the ball without their hands is, however, the crux of it. Half the things some of these guys can do with their feet, AP couldn't do with his hands - I don't care how much training he has. The athleticism of some of these soccer players is amazing.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #65
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Spoken like someone who admittedly has no real knowledge or respect for the sport of soccer
Um wrong. If you read my post I do respect the talent and the ability of soccer players. They're great athletes. I just don't put them on the level of some of the top NFL players. That's not being disrespectful by any means. I did say it's painful to watch but that's just me. Some of my Euro friends say the same thing about football.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #66
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Well, if it's just "running around" on the field, hell, if I was in my 20's and busted my ass, I could eventually "run around with those guys."

The things soccer players do with their bodies and their ability to control the ball without their hands is, however, the crux of it. Half the things some of these guys can do with their feet, AP couldn't do with his hands - I don't care how much training he has. The athleticism of some of these soccer players is amazing.
Could you run and cut like AP can? I seriously doubt it. I'm using him as an example as I'm trying to say he could hang with those guys in that area. But can they do what he does? Are they as physically explosive and powerful as he is? I just don't think so.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #67
MTK
\m/

Quote:

I'll tell you what, check this special on called Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit. You'll walk away amazed at this guy's talent. Not only physically, but mentally. You'll see this guy knock a header in a goal with the lights out. They throw a ball at him, and cut the lights off as soon as the ball is released. He visualizes the ball in the dark and still hits it.

Agreed, it's apples and oranges. Trying to make a direct comparison is silly.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #68
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
You say you respect their talent, but then you say something like this. When AP plays a football game BOTH(offense/defense) ways, without any stoppage in the game except the half, get back with me. Soccer players have to play 45 min halves without any timeouts or stoppage. No commercial timeouts. No water breaks. A player the size of AP wouldn't be able to last that long.

Ever wonder why you don't see any muscular guys winning long distance marathons? I think it's easy to see that the extra weight hinders them in their endurance. Cristiano Ronaldo is the same height as AP. AP weighs 217 lbs compared to Ronaldo's 175 lbs. Messi is 5'7" weighing at 148lbs. The average weight is around 160-170lbs for most professional soccer players. Sure, AD and Chris Johnson would smoke them down the field about two times, and be gassed the rest of the 85 minutes. Hell, how fast would AD be if he were actually having to move a ball as well?

Let's add in the fact these guys are dribbling a ball at full speed for long periods of time, with people trying to take the ball away from them as well.

That said, you simply can't compare the two athletes because they are completely different. If you think AD can simply train to be a soccer player, than you really are clueless.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #69
SirLK26
The Starter

Humor author/columnist Tom Purcell says it well in one of his latest books.

Quote:
Yeah, and what’s with the falling down and writhing in pain every two minutes? I’d rather spend five seconds watching an NFL running back pound through a bunch of beefy guys to score six points than spend 90 minutes watching a bunch of skinny, crafty guys moan every time somebody touches them.”
And...

Quote:
Now you’re talking. In fact, if the World Cup people wanted more Americans to tune in, they ought to turn their cameras away from the field and point them on the stands.”

“Yeah, watching a bunch of guys trying to brawl after sucking down a dozen Heinekens is more entertaining that what is happening on the field. Americans would pay good money to see that.”
Sorry, soccer fans. I realize that's pretty blatant stereotyping.

To be honest, I've never really given soccer a chance, because it just doesn't appeal to me. I respect endurance, and their ball-handling moves are incredible, but I like the raw strength, speed, and toughness of NFL players.
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #70
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLK26 View Post
Humor author/columnist Tom Purcell says it well in one of his latest books.

And...

Sorry, soccer fans. I realize that's pretty blatant stereotyping.

To be honest, I've never really given soccer a chance, because it just doesn't appeal to me. I respect endurance, and their ball-handling moves are incredible, but I like the raw strength, speed, and toughness of NFL players.

Yeah, it doesn't happen in the NBA or NFL.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

One thing I've notice some pretty amazing smokin hot female fans in the stands for the World Cup. I've been impressed.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #72
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
One thing I've notice some pretty amazing smokin hot female fans in the stands for the World Cup. I've been impressed.
World Cup Girls -- Girls of the FIFA World Cup tournaments

Just for you.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #73
skinsfan69
Living Legend

[QUOTE=NC_Skins;1074683]You say you respect their talent, but then you say something like this. When AP plays a football game BOTH(offense/defense) ways, without any stoppage in the game except the half, get back with me. Soccer players have to play 45 min halves without any timeouts or stoppage. No commercial timeouts. No water breaks. A player the size of AP wouldn't be able to last that long.

Ever wonder why you don't see any muscular guys winning long distance marathons? I think it's easy to see that the extra weight hinders them in their endurance. Cristiano Ronaldo is the same height as AP. AP weighs 217 lbs compared to Ronaldo's 175 lbs. Messi is 5'7" weighing at 148lbs. The average weight is around 160-170lbs for most professional soccer players. Sure, AD and Chris Johnson would smoke them down the field about two times, and be gassed the rest of the 85 minutes. Hell, how fast would AD be if he were actually having to move a ball as well?

Let's add in the fact these guys are dribbling a ball at full speed for long periods of time, with people trying to take the ball away from them as well.

That said, you simply can't compare the two athletes because they are completely different. If you think AD can simply train to be a soccer player, than you really are clueless.[/QUOTE

I agree... but I said that if AP TRAINED for soccer he could probably do it and get down to around 180lbs or so. Chris Johnson is another guy that could probably do it. Their training would be more for endurance. Now the skill part of it is a different story and that's what's in these videos. Handling the ball with your feet and so forth, they'd obviously have serious issues there as that's a skill that's developed over time. But we're talking about who's the better athlete.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #74
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann says Jozy Altidore out vs. Germany, Matt Besler in - ESPN FC

damn

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #75
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

[quote=skinsfan69;1074690]
Quote:
You say you respect their talent, but then you say something like this. When AP plays a football game BOTH(offense/defense) ways, without any stoppage in the game except the half, get back with me. Soccer players have to play 45 min halves without any timeouts or stoppage. No commercial timeouts. No water breaks. A player the size of AP wouldn't be able to last that long.

That said, you simply can't compare the two athletes because they are completely different. If you think AD can simply train to be a soccer player, than you really are clueless.[/QUOTE

I agree... but I said that if AP TRAINED for soccer he could probably do it and get down to around 180lbs or so. Chris Johnson is another guy that could probably do it. Their training would be more for endurance. Now the skill part of it is a different story and that's what's in these videos. Handling the ball with your feet and so forth, they'd obviously have serious issues there as that's a skill that's developed over time. But we're talking about who's the better athlete.
NFL players can train to be soccer players, but soccer players can't train to be NFL players? Kickers excluded