Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Re: Robert Griffin III ready to turn career around with Redskins in 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
....“Griffin sees himself like Peyton [Manning], in that light,” a personnel director said....

Thanks Vinny.

Seriously, I want my team's QB to have that confidence when he looks in the mirror.
Honestly, I even want the back up QB feeling that way.

I hope the kid tears it up this year, God knows he's been put thru enough.
There's a thin line between confidence and arrogance. RG3 has been a train wreck except for his rookie year with an offense that took the requirement to read a defense away and had him rely on his legs. He wasn't even smart enough to slide in that offense.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love for him to turn into a franchise QB. Between his fragility and his ego - I don't see it being possible. Every time he gets hit, which is a lot, I don't think he'll get back up.

Advertisements
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #17
irish
Playmaker

What is really telling to me is the part in the Post article where Andy Benoit talks about RG having no sense of basic QBing fundamentals and he has leaps and bounds to go to be an average QB. The sad part is that he's right. Its not like all of a sudden RG is going to light it up this year and look like the second coming of Steve Young, he needs to look like he can actually play QB in the NFL. At this point in his career I think the best that can be expected of RG is that he can develop into a serviceable NFL QB who wont make mistakes and cost his team the game.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 AM   #18
mredskins
MVP

great Keim article as always

Washington Redskins' RG III gets low ranking from NFL execs, coaches - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

It is put up or shut up time for RGIII
Old 07-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
great Keim article as always

Washington Redskins' RG III gets low ranking from NFL execs, coaches - Washington Redskins Blog - ESPN

It is put up or shut up time for RGIII
like i said, if its slow start to camp and beginning of season, I want him on the bench immediately so he doesnt get hurt for contract guarenttee. If he fails this year, biggest bust all time Redskins history.

He Gets Us
Old 07-22-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think you give Griffin all of camp and the first four weeks. If it's more of the same then put in KC and give him the rest of the season. We can't have another season where the QB is limited when it comes to the playbook, and all the dink and dunk stuff. I know it's a re-build but you still have to try and win games. You still have to try and get the ball to your playmakers.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #21
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

This is a prime example. The latest interview with Larry, RGIII tries to squash the notion he can't read NFL defenses based on the 2012 season.
i agree NC. i couldnt find that interview but did find one w our new QB coach Cavanaugh. He comments on the basics of QB play ..

“Trusting the route, trusting the protection, trusting your footwork,” Cavanaugh said. “I mean, it’s that simple. We always say that you throw with your feet to stay in rhythm. So if you say that I took the proper drop, I took one hitch and No. 1 wasn’t open, I’ve got to get off him. I can’t wait. I can’t wait thinking he might come open if I just hold onto the ball a little bit longer, because then you’re going to be late going to No. 2 and No. 3. And that’s typically a progression read. But your feet’ll tell you if No. 1’s open.”

Larry Michael won’t ask Matt Cavanaugh questions about RGIII - The Washington Post

its a good read, kinda funny the writer called out homer larry michael as well. its his job, i get it, i dont hate larry for it, i almost admirer his ability to keep a straight face while trying to appear objective
Old 07-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
There's a thin line between confidence and arrogance. RG3 has been a train wreck except for his rookie year with an offense that took the requirement to read a defense away and had him rely on his legs. He wasn't even smart enough to slide in that offense.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love for him to turn into a franchise QB. Between his fragility and his ego - I don't see it being possible. Every time he gets hit, which is a lot, I don't think he'll get back up.
That pretty much sums it up. Good post.
I think we will know pretty quickly if RGIII is going to buy into the system/coaching or will he be the arrogant, petulant child that gives up on the called play and takes off running.
When things do not go as planned in a game, as they always do for every Qb, how will he handle it? That will tell us if he has any chance of a future in the NFL as as a starter either with us or possibly with another team.
I want to him to be great...with us.
It will be an uphill battle.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #23
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
like i said, if its slow start to camp and beginning of season, I want him on the bench immediately so he doesnt get hurt for contract guarenttee. If he fails this year, biggest bust all time Redskins history.

I think Heath Shuler is a much bigger bust in terms of Redskins history. That said,the RGIII trade will go down as the worst ever in NFL history should he turn out to be a bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think you give Griffin all of camp and the first four weeks. If it's more of the same then put in KC and give him the rest of the season. We can't have another season where the QB is limited when it comes to the playbook, and all the dink and dunk stuff. I know it's a re-build but you still have to try and win games. You still have to try and get the ball to your playmakers.

There is no way you can give him four weeks. Gruden's job depends on us doing well or he's out of here. If he shits the bed in training camp, you start Kirk Cousins. Even if he does start Robert for game 1, you can't go more than 2 weeks of bad play before you yank him.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty

Last edited by NC_Skins; 07-22-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #24
30gut
Playmaker

Griffin turning his career around is inextricably linked to Jay's relationship with him and Jay's belief in Griffin as well as Jay's own improvement as a HC-playcaller.

If Jay doesn't have more faith in Griffin then he did last year then its only a matter of time before Jay is gonna want someone else in there.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #25
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

There seems to be more internal politics involved in the QB position this season and we have a new GM, so I doubt that Jay has the authority to make any significant decisions regarding RGIII on his own. With that in mind, I can't imagine RGIII losing his starting position before Game 5 regardless of how poorly he plays.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #26
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Griffin turning his career around is inextricably linked to Jay's relationship with him and Jay's belief in Griffin as well as Jay's own improvement as a HC-playcaller.

If Jay doesn't have more faith in Griffin then he did last year then its only a matter of time before Jay is gonna want someone else in there.
thats an interesting take 30. You are not the only one that feels that way. I dont want to put words in your mouth but i hear the occasional radio called say some variance of "jay needs to call the same plays for RG3 that he does for cousins or mccoy".

i guess the counter argument is that through practice, film study etc, jay doesnt think RG3 can handle the same play calling .. that RG3 needs first read only looks and cant handle going through multiple progressions or being asked to read both sides of the field etc ...

should Counsins and RG3 have the same playcalling? identical or just some wrinkles specific to what each player does well?

i personally think like the seeming majority here, RG3 just doesnt have the fundamentals of pocket passing to execute a pocket passing/timing offense ....... but im starting to think maybe he should be forced to run the same play calling and see what happens.

or jay has called the same plays in certain games and RG3 just didnt excel .. he has had some dud games.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #27
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
There seems to be more internal politics involved in the QB position this season and we have a new GM, so I doubt that Jay has the authority to make any significant decisions regarding RGIII on his own. With that in mind, I can't imagine RGIII losing his starting position before Game 5 regardless of how poorly he plays.
I don't imagine RG3 losing his job regardless no matter how poorly he plays. He's a Dan Snyder guy and a figurehead GM isn't going to change anybody's perception of that. We are long time fans here. No delusions of who is running the team, etc....
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
thats an interesting take 30. You are not the only one that feels that way. I dont want to put words in your mouth but i hear the occasional radio called say some variance of "jay needs to call the same plays for RG3 that he does for cousins or mccoy".

i guess the counter argument is that through practice, film study etc, jay doesnt think RG3 can handle the same play calling .. that RG3 needs first read only looks and cant handle going through multiple progressions or being asked to read both sides of the field etc ...

should Counsins and RG3 have the same playcalling? identical or just some wrinkles specific to what each player does well?

i personally think like the seeming majority here, RG3 just doesnt have the fundamentals of pocket passing to execute a pocket passing/timing offense ....... but im starting to think maybe he should be forced to run the same play calling and see what happens.

or jay has called the same plays in certain games and RG3 just didnt excel .. he has had some dud games.
There is no way in the world that he should be calling the same plays. If so, that means we need a new OC (or in this case... HC). Would anyone in their right mind call the same plays for Micheal Vick that they would call for Tom Brady (not saying we have a QB of that caliber, just an example)?

A play caller needs to understand the strengths of who he is calling the game for, otherwise they are a terrible play caller. If RG3 cant succeed based on an offense that is being called to his strengths, move on to Cousins or McCoy. But dont dare call the same plays regardless, that just means you cant figure out someone strengths or weaknesses, which means you shouldnt have that job in the first place.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #29
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think that is fair. If he doesn't start to show marked progress after 4 games, then we should look at other options.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #30
irish
Playmaker

[QUOTE=30gut;1115158]Griffin turning his career around is inextricably linked to Jay's relationship with him and Jay's belief in Griffin as well as Jay's own improvement as a HC-playcaller.

If Jay doesn't have more faith in Griffin then he did last year then its only a matter of time before Jay is gonna want someone else in there.[/QUOTE

Its not a matter of time, Jay already wants someone else in there. But like Solid Snake said, RG is Snyder's guy so Jay's hands are tied.
Closed Thread