Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Selling on eBay

Parking Lot

Old 09-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Selling on eBay

Hey folks, looking for a little advice about selling on eBay. I've been a buyer for about 8-9 years and recently have thought about jumping into getting rid of somethings I've accumulated over the years. Any suggestions and things I should be aware of? I would be selling things probably in the value range of $50-$400 and have about 15-20 items in mind. It could be more in the future depending on how things go. Items would be things like vintage records, some restored vintage tools, some original prints and some framed art...really a hodge podge of things. Just looking for advice...post here or feel free to private message me. Thanks!

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Re: Selling on eBay

I don't sell often, but when I do, I start the bidding at like a buck. The stuff I sell is often technology stuff (laptops, etc.) so the market is flooded. For some reason if I start the bidding at a dollar, people are like "OOOO! There's like 50 bids for that laptop!" and for some reason mine typically goes for more than others selling the same thing. Not sure how it'll go for you, but price low, people will bid. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I don't sell often, but when I do, I start the bidding at like a buck. The stuff I sell is often technology stuff (laptops, etc.) so the market is flooded. For some reason if I start the bidding at a dollar, people are like "OOOO! There's like 50 bids for that laptop!" and for some reason mine typically goes for more than others selling the same thing. Not sure how it'll go for you, but price low, people will bid. Good luck.
this has been my experience as a seller, i've lost money on only about 2 or 3 of my sales by starting them at $0.99. i've sold probably close to 70-80 items in the past several years.

just make sure you are very accurate and honest in your descriptions. post as many photos as possible.

right now most of my listing are fixed prices, only one auction; thelospanda | eBay
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

High "Reserve" prices tends to put potential buyers off. Don't try to get your Wish price on the reserve. I have found it better to put a reserve (If I needed on at all) at my Absolute "No Sell/sell" point to attract more bidders into the mix.

Same thing for High Ship cost. Lots of seller try to profit on that incrementally. I will frequently take a little hit on the ship to offer "Free Ship". Ebay bidders Love free ship. I have bought and sold many guitars on Ebay and I will...depending, offer Free ship...Rare thing on an item that will cost me 60-70 to ship. People jump on that sometimes and bid more as a result..get it?
I generally have "No Reserve", and I try to "No minimum bid" IF The risk is not to high.
Be a bit careful with that. I bought a guitar a couple years ago because the dude posted a "scarry" Ebay ad and No reserve...most buyers stayed clear and I scored the 6 string of about 1/3 of it's value...
Sooo...Good pic's, Good Description...Good response to Q's and you'll make some money. I have sold some...ridiculous stuff on Ebay.
I posted a bunch of "Two Stroke" Road Racing tools that were Yamaha signature tools I bought years ago. Vintage Road Racers from around the world ate them up at about ten times their original value....to wierd...you never know.
Good Luck!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Seems like postage and packaging is a big deal when it comes to selling.

It seems like the type of niche stuff I will sell, insurance and priority mail will need to be a must if it's over a certain amount. And I feel like the type of buyers won't mind paying for shipping in order to get the items in good working condition and undamaged.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 09-05-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
this has been my experience as a seller, i've lost money on only about 2 or 3 of my sales by starting them at $0.99. i've sold probably close to 70-80 items in the past several years.

just make sure you are very accurate and honest in your descriptions. post as many photos as possible.

right now most of my listing are fixed prices, only one auction; thelospanda | eBay
Tango and cash is a baller movie!

He Gets Us
Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #7
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Seems like postage and packaging is a big deal when it comes to selling.

It seems like the type of niche stuff I will sell, insurance and priority mail will need to be a must if it's over a certain amount. And I feel like the type of buyers won't mind paying for shipping in order to get the items in good working and undamaged.
Check out and see if someone else is selling what u have (or similar) and what it is selling for. How they are listing it...etc. If they have a zillion peeps watching or...not
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
Check out and see if someone else is selling what u have (or similar) and what it is selling for. How they are listing it...etc. If they have a zillion peeps watching or...not
Right...yeah market research is key.

He Gets Us
Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
kurt russell is one of my all time favorites. i copy every dvd to my laptop when i sell it!

i run backups to my external hd every once in awhile, just to be safe.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #10
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Right...yeah market research is key.
agreed, it will also save you time if you find the exact item and use the "have one like this/have one to sell?" option. most of the info will already be filled out for you.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
agreed, it will also save you time if you find the exact item and use the "have one like this/have one to sell?" option. most of the info will already be filled out for you.
Whoa...yeah that is pretty cool. Have to remember that...

Pictures of your stuff, you using a phone camera or digital camera? I don't see why my iPad Air camera or iPhone SE wouldn't be ok...

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 AM   #12
mredskins
MVP

I would try craigslist first higher profit margin. Ebay is all about the buyer niw a days and their fees are too high.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
So funny this reminds me of the first time I saw some boobs on TV. I was like, "Hey, can we rewatch Tango and Cash?"
Old 09-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
So funny this reminds me of the first time I saw some boobs on TV. I was like, "Hey, can we rewatch Tango and Cash?"
Road House (1989) - IMDb Road House and the Police Academy movies for me! My mom was always like "close your eyes"...I always pretended.

He Gets Us
Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I would try craigslist first higher profit margin. Ebay is all about the buyer niw a days and their fees are too high.
I was kinda surprised by the 10% cut off the top. For some reason when I thought about doing this a couple years ago I wanted to say it used to be 5% for everything under a $100 and after that then it was an additional 5% someway else. seems like its gotten more expensive even with more competition...

My realtor was a big Craigslist guy and he would get deals on some big items...he bought lawnmowers and pull behind trailer...but he also said he had dealt with some shady people....people trying to rip you off, sell broken things, etc.

He Gets Us