Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Around the NFL Week 3

SLOW DOWN! Already week 3 geez.

Goodell deal “getting done” – ProFootballTalk

Looks like he'll be sticking around.

RAMS V 9ERS?? Yuck (but I'll watch some of it)

Advertisements
Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Around the NFL Week 3

For anyone interested in the Goodell situation, Andrew Brandt gave a very good insight into this topic on his podcast.

Unless Goodell does something terrible, I don't see him going away anytime soon. Personally, I think the biggest challenge for Goodell and the NFL will be to deal with this new format where consumers get their entertainment online. While issues like player protests, concussions, etc,. etc,. may have affected how some view the NFL, I think the biggest challenge for the league will be to find a way to bring NFL games to online formats like Netflix or Amazon.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

NFL TV ratings down folks...big time last year and now through 2 weeks this year. Yet college football had one of their biggest years last year and up after a huge first weekend.

The piss poor excuses are amazing bad. First the election last year...dumb quite frankly. And now the hurricane. dumb, didn't affect Saturday college football. why?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
NFL TV ratings down folks...big time last year and now through 2 weeks this year. Yet college football had one of their biggest years last year and up after a huge first weekend.

The piss poor excuses are amazing bad. First the election last year...dumb quite frankly. And now the hurricane. dumb, didn't affect Saturday college football. why?
Well and more on that, the games affected in Texas a couple weeks ago were streamed, so there's no excuse there.

Opponents of football keep saying it's because of the issues with CTE and people, in general, don't want to support a sport that promotes life changing injuries. Of course, I don't agree with that and the fact that college football ratings have been high, I think it's more about the NFL becoming way too saturated. It should be left to Sunday, Sunday night, and Monday night at most. Allow people time to "miss it" before next week's games.

I fully support allowing viewers to have more options to watch online, and to watch whichever teams they want to online without selling their souls to DirecTV.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think its general over saturation and the protest. Lotta people of just tired of the act.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

Around the NFL Week 3

I think the failure of the league to adapt to online viewing is a big issue. The deal with DirecTV is seriously dated and way too exclusive. I recently had to dump my dish and I never realized how easy it is to just stream games somewhere online. God only knows how many potential legal viewers the league is missing out on from that. I'm guessing it's significant.

I'd be more than happy to pay for a streaming package but it's just not an option.

Last edited by MTK; 09-21-2017 at 10:28 AM.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
I think its general over saturation and the protest. Lotta people of just tired of the act.
Commercials, length of games, so many "rules", etc....

To me its a combo of all mentioned but the gear grinder for me is the constant booth reviews, everything is reviewed to the point of being nauseous. To me officiating comes with a level of human error, over the course of a game it all pans out.

I am sorry but especially during this time of the year when its nice out I am not wasting 4 hours of my afternoon on a Sunday watching millionaires who careless then the fans of the outcome of the game.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Commercials have been cut back by about 10 minutes a game this year, not enough of a noticeable difference if you ask me.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

College football is brutal. The games are too long and if I don't have money on them I rarely watch. They stop clock for 1st downs. The games are well over 3 hours long.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Commercials have been cut back by about 10 minutes a game this year, not enough of a noticeable difference if you ask me.
To be fair alot of it is my age too and my kid's ages. We are just so busy with kid activities that NFL gets pushed aside.

Now my dad (71) is back into it because well not to be rude he doesn't have much else going on.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think the failure of the league to adapt to online viewing is a big issue. The deal with DirecTV is seriously dated and way too exclusive. I recently had to dump my dish and I never realized how easy it is to just stream games somewhere online. God only knows how many potential legal viewers the league is missing out on from that. I'm guessing it's significant.

I'd be more than happy to pay for a streaming package but it's just not an option.
Exactly! I found a perfect HD stream of the game this past week. I almost forgot I was watching it on stream and not through an antenna or cable. I don't want to go through illegal means to watch my 'skins, but I think it should equally be as illegal to get bent over by DirecTV the way they gouge people.

I'd be happy to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket if it's offered straight through the NFL and no exclusive DirecTV crap.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #12
over the mountain
Playmaker

Id be curious to know if the average age of an NFL fan has been increasing. Are younger generations not as interested bc of iphone apps etc.

Im 39, when I grew up we played with sticks in the woods, used land line phones and sat on the floor as the adults watched football on Sundays. Grandma would make potato rolls with butter and thin sliced ham. We'd spend all day playing football. 3 kids, 1 is perm QB .. more kids the better.

I dont think football is making its imprint on the younger generation.

But counter that with I imagine fantasy football and weekly betting has made a ton of otherwise disinterested millenials now tuning in hardcore ...

idk .... would be a great senior year thesis in college for some economic and media major.

mred - I rarely get to watch the game live. I dvr it, we run errands and maybe I start watching a 1 pm game at 3 or so ... but I thought if you watch a dvr'd show within 24 hours it counts as live on neilsen ratings?
Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
This! I love the NFL ,not a fan of the college game all so love the high school game.Rarely do I watch a Thursday Night game(Thanksgiving,yes)or Monday night ,unless my team is playing I only watch on Sundays.Add in that they have deluded the product with all the new contact and hitting restrictions.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #14
J. Falcon
The Starter

Garcon is such a beast.
J. Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Falcon View Post
Garcon is such a beast.
This. Really wish it worked out with him staying here.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote