Super Bowl LII Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #166
MTK
\m/

Re: Super Bowl LII Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
For me (and again as the rule is written now, not saying the rule is perfect) it's simple:

-On the Jesse James overturned TD, he catches the ball going to the ground, and the ball moves when it hits the ground . On replay, it's conclusive. You can't argue that the ball did not move. You can argue it didn't move much, but it did move when it hit the ground, he lost control of the ball because of the ground. Conclusive evidence = overturn the call.

-On the Clement's TD, the ball never hits the ground, it's in an awkward position but you can argue about wether he had control or not. Remember you can control the ball with you butt and you ear, doesn't matter. So I agree you can say he lost control before setting 2 feet a second time, but it's not conclusive. Because you can also argue about it. So I like the fact the call stand.

I just wished they were more consistent on letting call stand when nothing's conclusive.

Consistency is key, I also wish they would emphasis that replay is to overturn obvious bad calls, not to get everything perfect. Stop reviewing every score and turnover.

Advertisements
Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #167
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Consistency is key, I also wish they would emphasis that replay is to overturn obvious bad calls, not to get everything perfect. Stop reviewing every score and turnover.
Kevin Sheehan made a point, sort of joking but there's something to it: they should have 90 seconds max to review. Like if it takes 5minutes to review, it's not conclusive, don't overturn.

I'm not sure I agree with him. Cause sometimes it can take time to see a small thing and that'll still be conclusive.

But I'd like them to stress the fact replay should be here to support the work of officials, not to question every decision they make with ever improving technology.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #168
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Maybe we can agree on your definition of the catch. Though I think it would need to be detailed just a little bit more.

Wouldn't it create quite a bump in fumbles called ?

Anyway I think the "control of the ball" part of the rule inherently introduces a time element. You control the ball because it doesn't move for a certain amount of time. Even if it's a fraction of a second. I don't see how the time element could be entirely dismissed.
Yes it will create more fumbles, but is wrong with that? The NFL played with the two feet down or equivalent possession rule since the league was created and nobody complained about it or said there are too many fumbles. Turnovers are a exciting game changing play, nothing wrong with it. No need to protect the offenses any more then they already do. There was over 1000 yards of offense in the superbowl and only one punt. That is not balanced.
It wasn't until they changed the rules to promote more passing and give the offense more advantage and reason to throw the ball more, it has changed the game in a bad way.
Plus it is a contradiction when you can catch a ball on the edge of the sideline, as the receiver then steps put of bounds and only have two feet down and it is a catch. But in the field of play Jessie James gets his left foot and right knee down with possession of the ball and he is ruled incomplete.
You cannot have it both ways. the ball has to survive the ground rule has to go.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #169
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
I agree that replay should be to overturn obviously bad calls but this past season replay was used to get things perfect. Then suddenly in the Super Bowl it didn't have to be perfect anymore. So much for consistency.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #170
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Yes it will create more fumbles, but is wrong with that? The NFL played with the two feet down or equivalent possession rule since the league was created and nobody complained about it or said there are too many fumbles. Turnovers are a exciting game changing play, nothing wrong with it. No need to protect the offenses any more then they already do. There was over 1000 yards of offense in the superbowl and only one punt. That is not balanced.
It wasn't until they changed the rules to promote more passing and give the offense more advantage and reason to throw the ball more, it has changed the game in a bad way.
Plus it is a contradiction when you can catch a ball on the edge of the sideline, as the receiver then steps put of bounds and only have two feet down and it is a catch. But in the field of play Jessie James gets his left foot and right knee down with possession of the ball and he is ruled incomplete.
You cannot have it both ways. the ball has to survive the ground rule has to go.
I agree with you. I also wish we had John Madden in the booth. He would be ROASTING the NFL with humor, not making pithy statements or getting the refs in the booth. He would get his whiteboard on the screen, then draw a big foot touching the ground, then the other foot, then the ball in the receiver's hand. THEN BOOOOM thats a catch.

Frank Caliendo would do it great too.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #171
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
On the bolded part, I do agree.

But on the underlined part I don't. If the receiver catches the ball going to the ground, he has to maintain control all the way, wether he falls in bounds or not doesn't change anything. (As the rule is written now).
Old 02-06-2018, 11:10 AM   #172
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I agree that replay should be to overturn obviously bad calls but this past season replay was used to get things perfect. Then suddenly in the Super Bowl it didn't have to be perfect anymore. So much for consistency.

Between the regular season and the SB, Vince announcer the XFL, and threw massive shades at the NFL for the catch rule, then Goodell came out and said the catch rule needed to change, that he wanted fewer and shorter reviews etc... So on the biggest stage of all with everyone watching he had to back up what he said. If this becomes the norm I like it.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 AM   #173
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
On the bolded part, I do agree.

But on the underlined part I don't. If the receiver catches the ball going to the ground, he has to maintain control all the way, wether he falls in bounds or not doesn't change anything. (As the rule is written now).
The maintain possession to the ground part is bad/awful rule that needs to go away.
That fairly recent (new) rule is one of the major problems that is causing too much controversy. It leaves too much interpretation to the refs and causing too many replays and delays in the game.
Back before this terrible rule, regardless of where you are in the field, if player catches a pass and posses the ball in a hand and gets both feet or a foot and knee/hip down in the ground, it is a catch.
If that happens in the end zone the whistle is immediately blown, play over = TD.
Jessie James play he broke the line of the end zone first and then dropped the ball. When he reached the ball over the line the play is over. It should have been a TD. Watch the replay and you will see it. He dropped if after it crossed, but the ref applied the "he has to maintain control past the ground rule" incorrectly. Because by rule the play officially ended when he reached the ball across the line.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #174
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
The maintain possession to the ground part is bad/awful rule that needs to go away.
That fairly recent (new) rule is one of the major problems that is causing too much controversy. It leaves too much interpretation to the refs and causing too many replays and delays in the game.
Back before this terrible rule, regardless of where you are in the field, if player catches a pass and posses the ball in a hand and gets both feet or a foot and knee/hip down in the ground, it is a catch.
If that happens in the end zone the whistle is immediately blown, play over = TD.
Jessie James play he broke the line of the end zone first and then dropped the ball. When he reached the ball over the line the play is over. It should have been a TD. Watch the replay and you will see it. He dropped if after it crossed, but the ref applied the "he has to maintain control past the ground rule" incorrectly. Because by rule the play officially ended when he reached the ball across the line.
I saw it. I agree it should have been a TD in the spirit of the game. I'm just saying by the current rule it was a good overturn.

The "play ends when ball brakes the plane" rule applies only once the player becomes a runner, he must complete the catch first. We can argue that in the spirit it should be a catch, and I may very well agree, but by the rule this was the correct call.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #175
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

We need to RIP this thread, F the eagles it is a new season now. 0-0 baby!
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #176
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Super Bowl LII Thread

Duplicate
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #177
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
What was up with this shitty graphic they kept using?? Looks like Madden 12 lol

That was absolutely terrible.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #178
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
then he drops the F bomb on NFLN just to be cool, dude get out of here

His insta apology in the car was hysterical though. If i had more time id post the link but its easy to find if u haven’t seen it yet.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #179
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So how is Odell a fruit but not anyone one else in the commercial?

He was playing the chick,......
Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #180
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
His insta apology in the car was hysterical though. If i had more time id post the link but its easy to find if u haven’t seen it yet.

Yeah he was like kiss my ass, sorry not sorry