Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #527
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian cult and there is just no reasoning with people like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Doesn't the bible condemn homosexuals to death?
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #528
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bob View Post
Doesn't the bible condemn homosexuals to death?

Yes it does - quite an awful book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #529
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Bha is a biblical scholar apparently. Give me the book report on the koran next.

FFS

He Gets Us
Old 05-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #530
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Does anybody care to separate the Old Testament from the New?

Feel free to ignore me, my code of judging people is "are you an asshole trying to make others live by your world view or not?" but IIRC my vague recollections is the Old Testament has all the bits about gay people being unacceptable/kill the infidels/etc. and the New is the more modern and tolerant version.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:37 PM   #531
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Bha is a biblical scholar apparently. Give me the book report on the koran next.

FFS

One doesn’t have to be a scholar to recognize and reject misogyny, homophobia, and racism when they see it.

When a book advocates invading other countries, killing the men and women and boys, but taking the young girls as child sex slaves, it is objectively horrible. The promotion of genocide, owning other human beings as property, and murder of homosexuals don’t help its case either.

But I actually am quite interested in biblical scholarship. If you are, I would recommend “the Bible Unearthed” by Israel Finkelstein for the Old Testament and any of the works of Professor Bart Ehrman for the New Testament. “how Jesus Became God,” Forged!” and “Jesus, Before the Gospels” are among my favorites. His most recent book “Heaven and Hell: A history of the afterlife” goes into detail explaining how these concepts were invented, appropriated by Christianity after Jesus death, and evolved over time.

Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #532
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
One doesn’t have to be a scholar to recognize and reject misogyny, homophobia, and racism when they see it.

When a book advocates invading other countries, killing the men and women and boys, but taking the young girls as child sex slaves, it is objectively horrible. The promotion of genocide, owning other human beings as property, and murder of homosexuals don’t help its case either.

But I actually am quite interested in biblical scholarship. If you are, I would recommend “the Bible Unearthed” by Israel Finkelstein for the Old Testament and any of the works of Professor Bart Ehrman for the New Testament. “how Jesus Became God,” Forged!” and “Jesus, Before the Gospels” are among my favorites. His most recent book “Heaven and Hell: A history of the afterlife” goes into detail explaining how these concepts were invented, appropriated by Christianity after Jesus death, and evolved over time.

People applying today social norms to social norms thousands of years ago is just amazing. I generally laugh at people applying social norms to those 25 years ago, but I gotta say this is a new low.

FFS, have you looked around the rest of the world today to see how the evils you mentions are pervasive? To put this on Christians is disgusting and dishonest.

Looks up the most persecuted religious followers last year.

He Gets Us
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #533
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
^ yup

And it's important to note that fact checking is not censoring. None of this posts have been deleted or altered.
Seems some people at FOX agree with you............

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fox-n...025416140.html

Neil Cavuto on Thursday reeled over President Donald Trump’s attempt to crack down on Twitter because it offered a fact-check on his tweets. The Fox News host said Trump’s claims could be characterized as an “outright lie” and deserved to be checked.

Earlier, Trump signed an executive order designed to lessen liability protections for social media sites. It was an apparent punishment for Twitter after it flagged his tweets that said mail-in voting would be “substantially fraudulent.” Twitter also provided a collection of reports debunking his assertions.

Trump decried the move as “stifling free speech” and, at Thursday’s signing, threatened to shut down Twitter if his lawyers could find a way.

Cavuto expressed concern that, “whatever your opinions on the left or right,” it was significant that the president saw fit to try to regulate or even shut down Twitter for correcting his misinformation.

“He was being policed on that because he was wrong. He was being policed on that because he said millions of ‘illegals’ were getting ballots when that simply was not the case,” Cavuto said. “So this isn’t a left-right issue. That was not the case. That was a wrong fact, that was a misstatement. Some have said it was an outright lie.”

Cavuto also broke down Trump’s “outrageous comments” suggesting MSNBC host Joe Scarborough had killed somebody, referring to a vile conspiracy theory Trump has embraced in an effort to debase his outspoken media critic.

“That was something too that had to be fact-checked. It wasn’t just a left or right thing here. That was something that was incumbent upon anyone to check comments that were deemed outrageous,” he said.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #534
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
People applying today social norms to social norms thousands of years ago is just amazing. I generally laugh at people applying social norms to those 25 years ago, but I gotta say this is a new low.

FFS, have you looked around the rest of the world today to see how the evils you mentions are pervasive? To put this on Christians is disgusting and dishonest.

Looks up the most persecuted religious followers last year.

I completely agree that social norms are different - this only highlights that the Bible is not the inspired word of any benevolent god, but merely a product of the people of the times.

Modern Christians cannot be lumped into one group, as there are 1) fundamentalists who try to adhere closely to the source material, 2) more liberal Christians who just cherry pick the positive things they like from the source material and come up with excuses to ignore the rest and 3) everyone in between.

The fundamentalists are awful. But even for the more liberal Christians, while I applaud their humanity and kindness, I do believe it is inherently dishonest to claim the Bible as some inspired and sacred source of truth, while picking and choosing which parts to accept and which to reject.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #535
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-new...e-11591908426?

How New York’s Coronavirus Response Made the Pandemic Worse

The Cuomo bullshit narrative is lit on fire here...devastating article by the WSJ with data and policy to back it.

He Gets Us
Old 06-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #536
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-new...e-11591908426?

How New York’s Coronavirus Response Made the Pandemic Worse

The Cuomo bullshit narrative is lit on fire here...devastating article by the WSJ with data and policy to back it.
It's a pay site.

Well considering the lack of leadership from the White House the Governors were doing the best they could .Chico you have a great case of Monday morning QB.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #537
MTK
\m/

Remember this asshole taking a victory lap not long ago?

Yeah, fast forward to today and Florida just topped 100,000 cases
Old 06-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #538
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Remember this asshole taking a victory lap not long ago?

Yeah, fast forward to today and Florida just topped 100,000 cases
All he needs is a Mission Accomplished banner and this would be classic.

Speaking of stupid Florida men and women:

It's literally like source material for those Parks & Rec episodes.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #539
httr198020
Special Teams

Quote:
I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian cult and there is just no reasoning with people like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are so saying that any and everything should be allowed?Next thing you know we'll have people pushing for incest, pedophilia, and beastitality. Main reason I have no respect for liberals is because you people have no morals or standards. You idiots fail to realize that these type of social changes effects all of society. It goes beyond two consenting adults doing whatever they want in the privacy of their home.
httr198020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:57 AM   #540
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I use this site mostly on my phone. When in a thread do any of you ever get a you're on PG. 32 of 36 but you're actually on the last page? Not the 1st time this has happened to me. But typically it says I'm on the 2nd to last page. Never got 4 pages off before.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote