Vikings Post-game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #46
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Re: Vikings Post-game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I dont know ... I like scott turner more than I dont like him. We didnt like oconnell, jay gruden, kyle shanahan either.

I think being the OC of this team with the QBs weve had ... youre always handicapped. You are always compromising your playcalls and then when you do make a good call but the QB doesnt see and throw it .. we blame the playcall bc we cant tell from the TV feed whats happening down field.

I dont think half the OCs in the league could do what he did last year with Heinike.

Youre in nascar race but they give you the pinto.

"experts" who dissect the 22 give him credit as a play designer and caller.
All good points. It's easy to blame Turner (and I have), but in reality with the QBs he has been given and the carousel of offensive linemen in front of these QBs, it must be quite the task to develop a game plan against a competent defense.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #47
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I dont know ... I like scott turner more than I dont like him. We didnt like oconnell, jay gruden, kyle shanahan either.

I think being the OC of this team with the QBs weve had ... youre always handicapped. You are always compromising your playcalls and then when you do make a good call but the QB doesnt see and throw it .. we blame the playcall bc we cant tell from the TV feed whats happening down field.

I dont think half the OCs in the league could do what he did last year with Heinike.

What's his excuse this year since everyone is healthy and who are these experts? I need to see an article.

Turner's O is second to last in points (6pts ave)in the first half of games this year and dead last since he's been our OC.
The team is 29th in points per play ave.

THere's no meaningful offensive stat where the team is top 15.

Heinicke looks good slinging it while down two touchdowns, glitter titties.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #48
rocnrik
Playmaker

Let’s be real .. We all watch the games and bash Taylor ..even his Big plays seem to be lucky .. so if he is as bad as WE all say he is pray tell how any OC can find success with him .. you can’t hide his flaws but for so long and even with a great D performance we could not overcome Taylor ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:32 PM   #49
calia
Playmaker

Quote:

Wait? Who didn't like O'Connell or Shannahan? I actually thought they were pretty innovative with our offense given the limitations of personnel.

No one would dispute that our QB situation is bad, but it seems like there's far too little done to adjust to the strengths and weaknesses. TH doesn't have a big arm -- so don't have him flutter stuff deep (we've been bailed out by Terry and Curtis, but it's not something we should be scheming to do). Also, 7 step drops seem like a bad idea because he doesn't need to time to uncork a bomb. Also, his decision-making isn't great -- so get the ball out quickly to the first read or maybe the second. After that, we're in trouble anyway. TH can move -- so get him out of the pocket and throwing on the move. Admittedly, I do not know squat about football, but there are plenty of people that do (per reporting by Keim, Finley, etc.) who are talking about these kinds of adjustments to what we're doing.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #50
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Scott Turner is an OC because of his father. He has zero business in the NFL. He is absolutely clueless. I can’t even believe it is a conversation.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:21 PM   #51
rocnrik
Playmaker

We have weapons… why is it we can’t run a screen ?? Other teams beat us with screens and we can’t get anything out of it … there were a lot of plays Sunday that I knew what we were gonna run .. so if a dummy like me knows …smh 😀
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #52
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

All Scott has to do is to get the running in a flow, everything opens after that. Get some screens, get the TE’s involved (especially Rogers) our TE’s are under utilized. Rogers is our secret weapon, he’s fast, athletic and can pass the ball. Find a way to exploit defenses with him.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #53
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

With 8:54 left in the game, Gibson loses 1 yard on 1st down run, next play Heinecken panics an overthrows for an int. Instead of sticking with the run. I blame Turner for running, passing, passing. Let the running game get in a flow, use your TE to block like he’s done in the past.

Many of you are pissed at Ridgeway, remember he's a rookie and a very promising future defensive lineman: https://riggosrag.com/2022/11/06/com...idgeway-claim/

https://www.commanders.com/news/john...manders-d-line

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 11-08-2022 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:59 AM   #54
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Was listening to Sheehan’s Monday pod. With TH at QB we have become worse on third down conversations and our offensive DVOA has dropped to 30th. I still don’t put CW in, the offense looks better with eye test minus first two games of season, plus we know he is not here next year. I’d stick with TH see if things can improve and then got to Sam after bye
Old 11-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #55
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
With 8:54 left in the game, Gibson loses 1 yard on 1st down run, next play Heinecken panics an overthrows for an int. Instead of sticking with the run. I blame Turner for running, passing, passing. Let the running game get in a flow, use your TE to block like he’s done in the past.

Many of you are pissed at Ridgeway, remember he's a rookie and a very promising future defensive lineman: https://riggosrag.com/2022/11/06/com...idgeway-claim/

https://www.commanders.com/news/john...manders-d-line
One thing about the Ridgeway penalty, I haven't read anything about it, but I can't think he went free lance and decided to do this stunt on his own. Like he was aligned on the right side of the center and went all the way to his left right ? That's playcall. I understand he's not supposed to hit the center on this play, but how do you have a rookie run this very risky move at this point in the game ? That's asking for trouble...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #56
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
One thing about the Ridgeway penalty, I haven't read anything about it, but I can't think he went free lance and decided to do this stunt on his own. Like he was aligned on the right side of the center and went all the way to his left right ? That's playcall. I understand he's not supposed to hit the center on this play, but how do you have a rookie run this very risky move at this point in the game ? That's asking for trouble...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
You don't. And RR's post-game reaction tells me that Ridgeway was coached to do it that way. If you look at the extra point before that FG try where the penalty was called, he did the same thing on that play too. It's a clear penalty, so basically they are coaching him the wrong way to rush on the extra point / FG try. There's only a couple ways to get a penalty on the FG or extra point try...you jump offsides, you run into the kicker, or you do what Ridgeway did. It's unacceptable really. Every arm chair NFL Coach knows you can't do that, so why are they coaching it that way?

It's not the reason they lost the game, but it didn't help, and there's no excuse for it. You wouldn't see a Jim Harbaugh coached team do that...or almost any other team in the NFL for that matter.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #57
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Was listening to Sheehan’s Monday pod. With TH at QB we have become worse on third down conversations and our offensive DVOA has dropped to 30th. I still don’t put CW in, the offense looks better with eye test minus first two games of season, plus we know he is not here next year. I’d stick with TH see if things can improve and then got to Sam after bye
They are going back to Wentz, Ron said it when he got hurt
Old 11-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #58
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Huge mistake!! CW is a sitting duck. TH hasn’t had the luxury of having Dotson as a weapon, I hope he plays Monday night.

Purveyor of fine Filth
Old 11-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #59
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
It makes sense. They are still in the driver's seat for the second or third wild card spot. Heinicke has managed to win a couple games, but not because he's better than Wentz. Wentz is still the better QB, and despite his inferior ability to move around in the pocket, he probably still gives this team the best chance to win.

Personally, I'd like to see Howell. But they aren't going to throw him to the wolves on Monday night against the undefeated Eagles, and he just may not be ready. You have to go with your best option until you are mathematically eliminated. You owe it to the rest of the players on the team.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #60
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
What's his excuse this year since everyone is healthy and who are these experts? I need to see an article.

Turner's O is second to last in points (6pts ave)in the first half of games this year and dead last since he's been our OC.
The team is 29th in points per play ave.

THere's no meaningful offensive stat where the team is top 15.

Heinicke looks good slinging it while down two touchdowns, glitter titties.
really its Logan Paulsen who does the radio pre game show for about an hour before games, podcast take command w hoffman, does tv segments, radio interviews

Hes basically Chris Cooley

But its not all glowing. theyve taken him to task for not gearing his play calling to his players strengths, not utilizing Terry properly, run under center tendencies

For no meaningful offense stats in top 15 ... Im not a defender of this offense. I am a defender of the thought that we need a QB who can make all throws. Wentz is an incomplete QB, heinike is an incomplete QB.

2nd half on sunday we showed some unique looks, that jet sweep to samuel for a big 3rd down, that double reverse thing back to Heinike that didnt pan out, adjusted and had much better pass pro in the second half

Bottom line is this offense is around 20th in the league.

imo Turner needs to embrace the Heinike ball. Run trips, mckissic has been injured but get him and gibson on the field at the same time then run one wide, more pre snap motion (even though we do a good bit of it), hit terry on screens and crosses, find TEs in the seams .. run what you did well last year but this time we have a healthy Curtis Samuel and a more balanced run game w Robinson.

Im not a huge Turner fan boy but I think hes doing pretty good with what we have under center.

-----

edit - sorry for the weak opinionated subjective answer and not providing article links, ill listen to some podcasts at work and see if any do a good job

Last edited by SunnySide; 11-08-2022 at 11:26 AM.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote