Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Changing The Team Name, Give It A Rest!!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-24-2023, 12:49 PM   #46
GridIron26
Playmaker

Re: Changing The Team Name, Give It A Rest!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Nicki Jhabvala on Twitter

The USPTO has denied the trademark application for the NFL's Washington Commanders.

On May 18th, the USPTO issued the denial citing two reasons.

1⃣ An existing trademark for "Commanders' Classic."
2⃣ Pending applications filed by a DC-area man.
I wonder if he is a fan of this team. This would have been a savvy move by a fan who doesn't want the team to be named Commanders.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-24-2023, 12:52 PM   #47
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
I wonder if he is a fan of this team. This would have been a savvy move by a fan who doesn't want the team to be named Commanders.
It's this guy

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ns-name-change

He's a TM squatter
Old 05-24-2023, 12:55 PM   #48
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Should have never changed the name period

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:01 PM   #49
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

This is beyond comedy at this point.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #50
MTK
\m/

Quote:
@JPFinlay
Speaking w @JoshGeren on Commanders trademark issues: "I understand this looks to be very on brand with the team as far as things not going correctly, but for the trademark process, this is not abnormal...It's a very crowded system to try to get things through."

@BenStandig
From a Commanders spokesperson: "The trademark office’s recent nonfinal office action is an ordinary course step in the standard trademark registration process. We will respond to the Trademark Office’s office action and are confident that our registration will be issued."
Sounds like a nothing burger in the end.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:26 PM   #51
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

LOL copium from those who love to tow the Snyder/corporate line. Fact is, that the name Commanders was chosen as Snyder's pet name, Wolves was not chosen "because of potential trademark issues" now Commanders faces it, and of course it's no big deal.

I stand by my bet that the new ownership group will want to get rid of this albatross of a name within the first two years. Moving back to the WFT would be better than leaving little Napoleon's pet name in place.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:27 PM   #52
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
LOL copium from those who love to tow the Snyder/corporate line. Fact is, that the name Commanders was chosen as Snyder's pet name, Wolves was not chosen "because of potential trademark issues" now Commanders faces it, and of course it's no big deal.

I stand by my bet that the new ownership group will want to get rid of this albatross of a name within the first two years. Moving back to the WFT would be better than leaving little Napoleon's pet name in place.
I don't really understand what you mean by this.

My opinion that the name is not going to change and it is not a priority for the new ownership is based on information reported by Keim in his podcast and his story with Seth Wickerham about the prospectus document created by Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment.

Based on this document, they plan to spend $80 million dollars in stadium upgrades (videoboards/locker rooms etc., etc.), they estimate needing to make $100 million dollars in stadium structural update, and another $43 million dollars to upgrade boxes and suites.

With all these priorities, do you really think this group is going to throw away $20 million dollars on a rebrand?

We are in the process of getting rid of a stupid owner, and you basically are asking for the new owner to think like a fan and pull off some Snyder-like stupid decision on a rebrand?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:56 AM   #53
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I don't really understand what you mean by this.

My opinion that the name is not going to change and it is not a priority for the new ownership is based on information reported by Keim in his podcast and his story with Seth Wickerham about the prospectus document created by Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment.

Based on this document, they plan to spend $80 million dollars in stadium upgrades (videoboards/locker rooms etc., etc.), they estimate needing to make $100 million dollars in stadium structural update, and another $43 million dollars to upgrade boxes and suites.

With all these priorities, do you really think this group is going to throw away $20 million dollars on a rebrand?

We are in the process of getting rid of a stupid owner, and you basically are asking for the new owner to think like a fan and pull off some Snyder-like stupid decision on a rebrand?
The heart of any good business is marketing/sales. Not sure where you got $20M but the potential of ROI on that twenty could far exceed any of the ROI on the stadium fixes/upgrades. Of course the conjunction of the two both help ROI; cant sell a shit product and you can't not market a good product; if you want make $$$.

With that said what other name then REDSKINS is really going be better/popular then Commanders on a macro level. At this point just run with Commanders and tweak the logo and shit if they don't like that part. Honestly i like the uniforms and the big W. The actual name Commanders is meh but whatever.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:00 AM   #54
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
It risks souring 20% of the fans who say keep the name (But probably not since it looks like that group will accept anything) and placating a large percentage of the 80% that hate the stain. So it probably would be wise if they want a happy (happier) fanbase to change the name.
There is worst names then Commanders; of the 80% probably the majority hate change more then the name Commanders.

For me the only change that be better then Commanders would be REDSKINS; not happening.

Love to know where you are getting these percent's from as well.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:13 AM   #55
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

The worst part about Commanders is there is no good way to shorten/abbreviate it. It's a long name with no viable options to shorten it like 'Skins.

Snyder was just a complete fuck-up in every since of the word. That man can't even win a coin toss in 100 flips.

Washington Oaks

https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-o...es/scarlet-oak

(I actually would like this, original names are cool).
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #56
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The heart of any good business is marketing/sales. Not sure where you got $20M but the potential of ROI on that twenty could far exceed any of the ROI on the stadium fixes/upgrades. Of course the conjunction of the two both help ROI; cant sell a shit product and you can't not market a good product; if you want make $$$.

With that said what other name then REDSKINS is really going be better/popular then Commanders on a macro level. At this point just run with Commanders and tweak the logo and shit if they don't like that part. Honestly i like the uniforms and the big W. The actual name Commanders is meh but whatever.
Back in 2020, the Washington Post estimated that the rebrand would cost $20 million dollars. I'm pretty sure that number would be slightly higher in 2024.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #57
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Ruhskins - how is getting rid of Commanders thinking like a fan? I just don't get that at all. Thinking like a fan to me is treating the team like it's fantasy football, a la Dan. This is more along the lines of very smart business decision. It's smart public relations and it's a clean break from Dan.

There are multiple partners, all very wealthy men. Majic is the poor one at around 650 million. If they want to get it done 20 million isn't going to stop them. lol.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:45 PM   #58
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Back in 2020, the Washington Post estimated that the rebrand would cost $20 million dollars. I'm pretty sure that number would be slightly higher in 2024.
Fair enough.

I think the real damage in changing it is just again throwing the wheels of marketing into reverse then restarting again; couple that with there is no full proof everyone or least majority of folks will be happy name out there.

I say in simple terms the squeeze ain't worth the juice.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #59
mredskins
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Ruhskins - how is getting rid of Commanders thinking like a fan? I just don't get that at all. Thinking like a fan to me is treating the team like it's fantasy football, a la Dan. This is more along the lines of very smart business decision. It's smart public relations and it's a clean break from Dan.

There are multiple partners, all very wealthy men. Majic is the poor one at around 650 million. If they want to get it done 20 million isn't going to stop them. lol.
But what do you change it too? The real risk isn't the 20M is the restarting the process and potentially picking a worst name.

If there were major uproars or protest outside the stadium saying change the name to REDWOLVES (just grasping here) ok then maybe think about it, I believe at this point most have settled on Commanders love it or hate it it is what it is.

As a die hard fan I hate the losing more then Commanders; if they start winning you can call them Poop Patrol for all i give a fuck just give me something to look forward to on fall Sundays.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #60
mredskins
MVP

on a side note ; i like DC Defenders better then Commanders.