Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Great Win, Just 1 Question Though

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #16
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Great Win, Just 1 Question Thought

Yea, I am very concerned. The one redeeming factor of last night is, we did not abandon the run and we started to have more success in the second half. it appeared to be wearing down the Philly D. Not major, but positive. Like Daseal already mentioned, I would like to see Portis used outside more. He had some success last night in that area.
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope
I think by the time it is all said and done he will be the best back the Skins have ever had. He will get 1200 - 1700 yards for us every year he plays. Add to that how he blocks, hustles and catches- he is something special. He is still looking at close to 1300 yards (after NY). And there is still alot of football to play.
I dont think that the skins brought CP here and paid him huge money to be a great blocker and hustle his tail off. Those are nice but that's not what a star back is supposed to be known for. The yards are nice but with the TDs he scores (not many so far) and if he rushed for 1200 yards (less than 100 per game) I would still say he is way over paid.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #18
MTK
\m/

I think there's this misconception that Portis isn't a good inside runner. In fact I think he actually likes to run inside, if you watch him run he is usually seeking contact rather than avoiding it.

As for Betts, I like him but he's too injury prone to be relied on as a #1 back.

I really like what we have in Portis and Betts. Portis is as tough as they come and as someone said before I think he's more banged up than we may know.

And I really don't think we should underestimate what he does away from the ball. He's always hustling and doing everything the coaches ask him to do and then some.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #19
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
I dont think that the skins brought CP here and paid him huge money to be a great blocker and hustle his tail off. Those are nice but that's not what a star back is supposed to be known for. The yards are nice but with the TDs he scores (not many so far) and if he rushed for 1200 yards (less than 100 per game) I would still say he is way over paid.
I have to take issue what what you're saying here.

For the money they are paying him, they must certainly do expect him to hustle and block.

Those are exactly the things a star back is known for.

Look at the all-time greats, Payton, Smith, Brown, etc., they all did the little things whether it was catching balls, blocking, hustling, etc.

Ripping off big runs is nice, but if you ask me what makes a complete player is what he does without the ball.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #20
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I think there's this misconception that Portis isn't a good inside runner. In fact I think he actually likes to run inside, if you watch him run he is usually seeking contact rather than avoiding it.

As for Betts, I like him but he's too injury prone to be relied on as a #1 back.

I really like what we have in Portis and Betts. Portis is as tough as they come and as someone said before I think he's more banged up than we may know.

And I really don't think we should underestimate what he does away from the ball. He's always hustling and doing everything the coaches ask him to do and then some.
Completely agree. But I guess the question now is will we start seeing some more carries for Sellers?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #21
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Portis has been battling injuries. He has limped through the last couple of games. I think we have a pretty solid one-two punch with Portis and Betts.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #22
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish
Agreed. But prepare for the backlash, Irish. There is hell to pay for anyone who dares to criticize the almighty Clinton Portis. But I don't care. He's been a "good" running back for us, but that's it. Against NFC East opponents, his average after last night is 3.4 yards a carry. So I think it's perfectly fair to see that he's not exactly been what everyone hoped for, especially in the divisional games that matter most.

And spare me this CRAP about "spreading the running lanes" or calling more toss-sweeps to "open things up" for Portis. The Skins did what they never do last night and actually pitched the ball to Portis when they were getting manhandled by the Corey Simon-less Eagles up the middle. It still didn't matter. Philadelphia stuffed the run last night. There's two realities that many Redskin fans simply do not want to believe: This offensive line is not good enough against above average defensive lines to run the ball and control the game, AND Clinton Portis is not as good as was advertised.

We won the game last night because of a heads up play by Derrick Dockery, and I officially take back everything I said about him being the weak link on this line. His recovery of Chris Cooley's fumble turned out to be the pivotal play in a game that was very close to going either way. For once, the ball bounced our way this season.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #23
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Completely agree. But I guess the question now is will we start seeing some more carries for Sellers?
I'd LOVE to see Sellers get some more carries. Gives the other teams something else to plan for. Maybe line him up in the backfield and Portis at WR.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #24
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I have to take issue what what you're saying here.

For the money they are paying him, they must certainly do expect him to hustle and block.

Those are exactly the things a star back is known for.

Look at the all-time greats, Payton, Smith, Brown, etc., they all did the little things whether it was catching balls, blocking, hustling, etc.

Ripping off big runs is nice, but if you ask me what makes a complete player is what he does without the ball.
I think if you ask people what Walter Payton is known for, I doubt blocking is the answer you'll get. Sure he was a good blocker and complete player but he was known for his explosive running. Portis was brought here as an explosive RB and paid like one. No matter how you slice it, CP has not performed as the superstar RB the skins expected he would be.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #25
#56fanatic
The Starter

I do agree Portis has not been the "homerun threat" we thought he was going to be. If Gibbs and Co. had to do it all over again, they might have chosen shaun Alexander do to his size and strength. Not taking anything away from Portis, no body on this team has a big a heart as he does. The guy is sticking right up the gut and not shying away from contact. He just seems to go down with first contact when he is running up the middle. I do think we need to try and get some plays for him in open field. I liked what they did last night, lining him up outside. that opened up the field for some balls to Cooley over the middle. I would like to see us do this against the Bucs next week. That may take them out of the Cover 2 they play all the time, and may make them play a little more man, and some zones. If we can get them in man coverage, Moss will have another big day.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #26
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
think if you ask people what Walter Payton is known for, I doubt blocking is the answer you'll get. Sure he was a good blocker and complete player but he was known for his explosive running. Portis was brought here as an explosive RB and paid like one. No matter how you slice it, CP has not performed as the superstar RB the skins expected he would be.
Walter was absolutly known as a great blocker- in fact I will say he was known as a complete back. He was more proud of his blocking than his running (that is from interviews)

I don't think many people will argue that denvers Oline has been better than ours over the last decade. As ours gets better so will Portis's stats. The only thing I hate about fantasy football is that it over emphasizes stats.

His value is not in stats (yet) but in all the other things.
Kope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #27
dmek25
MVP

i love portis.he has done everything the coaches have ask of him.i think our line play leaves alot to be desired.i also think the portis trade was a done deal before coach gibbs was officially welcomed back.by the way,did anyone notice m zellers run over noted tough guy b dawkins on that one swing pass?
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #28
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Lost in all this is the way the skins were able to move the ball on the iggles-- by the INTERMEDIATE pass. They keyed on the run and the deep ball, and we went over the middle and to the medium dumpoff. I love watching us use the whole playbook. And we did stick to the run. And they had a big run or two called back on, to my mind, rather dubious holding penalties. Rabach held? No way.

As for CP, I'd like to see him get outside a bit more, either directly or by cut-back. They only tossed it to him once, and it was a nice gainer. I'd like to see more mixture there. But that TD run was sweet--great block by Rabach, striaght up the gut and in their face, and then CP gives the ball to his mom. And CP had some nice catches--that sideline play for example--and I thought Brunell missed him a few times when he was open. And he is a better blocker than Betts--he picks up every blitz well, and even handles pretty big guys. That's why the "max protect" works. Finally, running down the fumble was pure heart. You love to see that from your stars--hustle even when things go wrong.

So, of course, I'd love to get more production out of CP. But I am totally happy with having him on our team. And did you hear his comment about how psyched he was that Lavar was out there making plays? That's great--team unity and team leadership. And I like that he dresses up as a maniac every week--he has fun as a player.

But it's wins that matter, not personal stats. If he continues to help this team, in multiple ways, to win games, I will be completely satisfied with Mr. Portis.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #29
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Sellars running over Dawkins was classic. I want to get some video of that!
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #30
56FAN
Special Teams

Portis is really showing me something, not just running but catching, blocking,and tackling.this line needs to continue to grow together, that's all that's left for them to do.were the individuals become the unit or line
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote