WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-12-2021, 07:10 AM   #31
MissouriSkin
Special Teams

Re: WFT Quarterback Thread - Post SEASON 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
that wont work in the league but I do think he's a solid option at 19 if they want
Sorry but if you don’t like him because of a “QB friendly scheme and good receivers” you could say the same about Trevor Lawrence...and Jones plays against better teams while Lawrence runs up numbers against the ACC....🤷*♂️

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #32
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

My gut tells me Mac is going to be meh in the NFL.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #33
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I hope so, I'd take Lance all day

Me too.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #34
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriSkin View Post
Sorry but if you don’t like him because of a “QB friendly scheme and good receivers” you could say the same about Trevor Lawrence...and Jones plays against better teams while Lawrence runs up numbers against the ACC....*

Fair enough. Now we will wager on who turns out to be a better NFL quarterback. I got Trevor. You got Mac.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #35
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I would like to avoid another short term, overpriced vet QB.
Let Heinike/Allen/Rookie QB battle it out.
There are too many holes to fill on this team to overpay a QB.
Wise words, people seem to think we are on the verge of a Super Bowl run.

Just to remind everyone, we finished 7-9 this year and that flattered us greatly with 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams who won 6 or fewer games and the other against a slumping Steelers team who won 1 of their last 5.

Let's just have a sensible low-key offseason please.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #36
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post

Just to remind everyone, we finished 7-9 this year and that flattered us greatly with 6 of our 7 wins coming against teams who won 6 or fewer games and the other against a slumping Steelers team who won 1 of their last 5.

No we're not on the verge of a SB run. But we're a few key pieces away from it. If we bolster the QB, WR and TE positions (and OL if possible) we'll have a competitive O. If we do the same for the LB and CB positions (and stick with both S's that finished the season as starters) then we could have a dominant D for at least 2-3 years. That would give us the chance to go deep into the playoffs during this window. I agree don't go silly in FA or trades that bankrupt us, but likewise don't underestimate what a few key additions could lead us to.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:03 AM   #37
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I would like to avoid another short term, overpriced vet QB.
Let Heinike/Allen/Rookie QB battle it out.
There are too many holes to fill on this team to overpay a QB.
We have a top 5 defense and legit weapons on the offensive side of the ball (Terry, Gibson, and Logan). I don't want to waste next season seeing if Heinecke/Allen or a Rookie QB work out.

Look at what Rivers did for Indy. We have enough young talent on this team to be able to fill needs through both FA and the draft. But we can't gamble our future on unknown QB play.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #38
MTK
\m/

The clock is ticking with keeping the defensive line together on their rookie deals. With our cap room next year there's no way we have a quiet offseason. A legit QB and some more playmakers definitely puts us into contender status in the NFC.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #39
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Full court press on Matt Stafford...If not, Matt Ryan

Derek Carr, Fitz would be my fallback

Dak, Watson...just not happening folks.

I would be strongest opposed to bringing in Cam. Love the guy, but don’t want him here

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:24 AM   #40
rocnrik
Playmaker

Taylor or Kyle could be starter .. Alex should retire ( not mobile enough) .. so do we bring in low cost Vet as insurance( Fitz type) , higher profile vet that will take a trade to pull off( Stafford, Ryan) , trade up to land high profile Rookie.. these are the options .. to me it all depends on if the coaching staff really believe in Taylor and Kyle .. I like the idea of using top picks on other needs .. bring in Fitz and let’s see what we got , we are more than a QB away from a super bowl contender and need other help anyways .. we can always make a big ash splash next year with a trade etc ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #41
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

My chips are in. Let's get the piece we need. As many have said the window on the D line is probably 3-4 years. Ok mentioned we can spend the next 3 1st rounders on QB and they could all be misses let's get the real deal and see what we can do. The division is in chaos and surprisingly we have seemed to have weathered a tremendously tumultuous season even for Washington standards. I get being shell shocked by going after a new shiny toy in FA but this just feels different.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #42
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEmouse View Post
I think the staff have 3 keys to decide how they approach the draft, FA and any trade option, and in this order:

1) How likely are we to have a desirable QB available at 19 without any trading up?
2) What capability do we have to trade up without giving up too much capitol?
3) If we can't get a QB at 19 (and don't see starter material in a lower pick), who is available via FA or trade that could start for at least 2 years while we look at future drafts for a long term successor?

Way I see it there are 6 teams above us that would probably take a good QB if available at their slot (I discount Jax as it's probably nailed on they take Lawrence) but I'm not sure I see any of them desperate enough to trade any further up. I'd say the Bears might trade up if they see an opportunity to get their guy. To me that says it's highly unlikely that any of the top 3 prospects are available at 19, maybe even top 4 are gone, so it's highly likely that the answer to 1 is very unlikely.

While we haven't thrown away picks recently so have some capitol to trade up, to me we'd need to be trading with maybe the Jets (very expensive) Falcons (not much cheaper) or 49ers to get a good prospect with their pick. I believe that even with an above average QB we could be competing for the East crown for 2-3 years, so our future draft position is likely to be mid round. We'd have to therefore give up more picks than a team like the Panthers to move up. And we really don't want a RG3 Mk2 trade to happen. I therefore think our capability to trade up is limited (without giving away too much).

FA is limited. I only see Fitz as a possible successful 2 year starter, assuming Heinicke isn't cut out for QB1. The other options don't hold out much promise as they haven't shown any real success or are basically too old/immobile. Which would leave us with a trade, but I only see a feasible trade being Stafford or Ryan at this point and neither will come cheap (I too would love Watson but I'd say its a miracle if we could get him for much less than an entire draft worth of picks). So if we trade for either of them, we could be trading away our picks that would fetch a future franchise QB in '21 or '22.

I can't help thinking that without a massive (and dumb?) trade, we will be best served bringing in an FA to compete with Heinicke for the #1 slot this camp, then try to get a diamond in the rough development project in lower rounds, or target a guy in the 22 draft. I believe if he's still here, Smith may well be able to get our man in round 2 or 3 this year without selling off our draft.
I keep seeing that this team, namely the defense, is "close". I beg to differ. They won a terrible division - someone had to win it. Hell, if they didn't end up beating Philly, who did all they could to give us the game, the Giants would have won the division with six wins... They played a soft schedule. 5 of the 7 wins came against backup QBs. Most teams outside this terrible division, who had their starting QB, ran up 30+ points on this team. While I believe this team is headed in the right direction, I am not agreeable to the idea that they are "close". Too many holes to fill on both sides of the ball, including the most important one - QB.

Fact is, with their current draft position, this team will have to trade up if they want to draft a highly rated QB prospect this year. I'd rather use that #19 pick for a top O lineman, DB, LB, or WR (if they don't get Robinson, Davis, Godwin, or Samuel via FA), and use the rest of the draft to stay young - BPA all the way through.

So to me, the immediate "fix" for the QB position is via free agency this year. I'm on the Tyrod Taylor train personally, but would not be mad if they went after Andy Dalton. Either guy would be an immediate upgrade, and could stabilize that position for the next 2-3 years while the future QB is groomed, and without giving up multiple picks and/or players.

I honestly do not get the Ryan Fitzpatrick love. Dude has a lot of experience, but there's a reason he has played for 25% of the teams in the league. He has a losing record, and he turns the ball over too much.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:51 AM   #43
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy View Post

Weve had sensible low key offseasons for a few years now. We had 22.4M in unused cap this year, 12.7M in unused cap for 2019.

I understand saving some cap to roll over into next season .. but you cant just keep doing that in perpetuity. Arent we building up cap savings to strike when the irons hot? We have one more year with Allen under contract. 2 more years of Payne and Matty I.

Very reasonable to assume that once we find our QB1, LB, CB2 and WR2 ... given the state of the NFCE .. we should be perennial NFCE champs for the next 2-3 years, fighting it out with the NYG.

Being the playoffs greatly increases your chances of a superbowl vs not being in the playoffs.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #44
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Full court press on Matt Stafford...If not, Matt Ryan

Derek Carr, Fitz would be my fallback

Dak, Watson...just not happening folks.

I would be strongest opposed to bringing in Cam. Love the guy, but don’t want him here
Fuck Ryan and Carr they suck in big games, no thanks.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #45
SkinsGuru
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Weve had sensible low key offseasons for a few years now. We had 22.4M in unused cap this year, 12.7M in unused cap for 2019.

I understand saving some cap to roll over into next season .. but you cant just keep doing that in perpetuity. Arent we building up cap savings to strike when the irons hot? We have one more year with Allen under contract. 2 more years of Payne and Matty I.

Very reasonable to assume that once we find our QB1, LB, CB2 and WR2 ... given the state of the NFCE .. we should be perennial NFCE champs for the next 2-3 years, fighting it out with the NYG.

Being the playoffs greatly increases your chances of a superbowl vs not being in the playoffs.
With DAK coming back, the Cowboys offense is legit and with a couple of moves on defense (including getting their guys healthy) they will be much improved . . . same for Philly, they had a ton of injuries this year, but with improved QB play and getting some guys back healthy they could also be much improved . . . the Giants also have some pieces in place and should be getting healthier as well, if they shore up their o-line they'd be dangerous too . . . So we need to improve, especially at QB, WR and LB if we want to keep on top of the division. Mark my words, the NFC EAST will be vastly better next year.
SkinsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote