Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What Is Parked In Your Driveway?

Parking Lot

Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #16
dmek25
MVP

Re: What Is Parked In Your Driveway?

2003 chevy tahoe...loaded with only 100000 miles on it. getting close to getting the "fever" of a new vehicle

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #17
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
By far the most fiscally responsible thing to do.

My father in law buys a brand new car every five years or so, trading each in for a brand new one. Biggest waste of money of all time. I'm like dude it's called a lease if you're really into having the latest and greatest.
So when your lease is up how much cash do you need to put down on the next lease ?Unless you have a way of claiming your lease on your taxes for work to me any way a lease is a wast ,by buying the car you have cash equity in it and can drive as many miles as you want unlike a lease .
Old 03-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #18
kct1975
The Starter

2013 Ford Fusion
Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
metalskins
The Starter

So no one has any opinions on the Charger? BTW, I won't be trading the Accord any time soon. I'd rather pay it off and then save up, sell the car, and have a good amount to buy something else.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
So when your lease is up how much cash do you need to put down on the next lease ?Unless you have a way of claiming your lease on your taxes for work to me any way a lease is a wast ,by buying the car you have cash equity in it and can drive as many miles as you want unlike a lease .
That was a little tough to read, but here let's do some math. Cost of owning one car for 12 years vs the cost of leasing via 36-month leases year after year.

I'll use a Toyota Camry as the example since it's America's best seller. Data is from Edmunds. I'm assuming you just get the base model and put no options in it.

A Camry costs you $22,159 (true purchase price per Edmunds, with no options on the car). Then you have to maintain it. Toyota pays to maintain it for the first two years. After that, let's say you take it for oil changes every 10,000 miles and do all the factory recommended service and replace the tires and brakes when you should, all that shit. Average maintenance cost per year after the 2nd year is about $250.

So over 12 years that's $22,159 + $2,500 = $24,649. Then after 12 years it's usually worth a little bit, so you can sell it for $2000. So we're back down to $22,649.

On leases, right now you can lease the same car for $3284 due at start (which includes $2499 cash down + $650 bank fee + $135 doc fee), and $142 per month for 36 months. $142 per month times 36 months is $5,112. So the total cost of your lease is $3,284 + $5,112 = $8,396.

Since that only gets you a car for 3 years, you need to string together 3 more leases back to back, so we get an apples to apples comparison for owning for 12 years. 4 consecutive leases x $8,396 per lease = $33,584.

So owning one car for 12 years, costs you $22,649. Leasing for the same time period every 36 months costs you $33,584.

It's a massive difference. How many miles do you put on your car per year? I can do the math to tell you whether leasing or buying is better, because that will affect it for you.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
That was a little tough to read, but here let's do some math. Cost of owning one car for 12 years vs the cost of leasing via 36-month leases year after year.

I'll use a Toyota Camry as the example since it's America's best seller. Data is from Edmunds. I'm assuming you just get the base model and put no options in it.

A Camry costs you $22,159 (true purchase price per Edmunds, with no options on the car). Then you have to maintain it. Toyota pays to maintain it for the first two years. After that, let's say you take it for oil changes every 10,000 miles and do all the factory recommended service and replace the tires and brakes when you should, all that shit. Average maintenance cost per year after the 2nd year is about $250.

So over 12 years that's $22,159 + $2,500 = $24,649. Then after 12 years it's usually worth a little bit, so you can sell it for $2000. So we're back down to $22,649.

On leases, right now you can lease the same car for $3284 due at start (which includes $2499 cash down + $650 bank fee + $135 doc fee), and $142 per month for 36 months. $142 per month times 36 months is $5,112. So the total cost of your lease is $3,284 + $5,112 = $8,396.

Since that only gets you a car for 3 years, you need to string together 3 more leases back to back, so we get an apples to apples comparison for owning for 12 years. 4 consecutive leases x $8,396 per lease = $33,584.

So owning one car for 12 years, costs you $22,649. Leasing for the same time period every 36 months costs you $33,584.

It's a massive difference. How many miles do you put on your car per year? I can do the math to tell you whether leasing or buying is better, because that will affect it for you.

So we agree.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #22
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
So we agree.
If you're going to own one car for 12 years, yes. How often do you buy new?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #23
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
If you're going to own one car for 12 years, yes. How often do you buy new?
I buy the wife a new one,she drives 4 miles to work and four miles back after 5/6 years when it is paid off I take that car and she gets a new one ,again.Happy wife ,happy life. Seriously I get a car with 40/45 thousand on it and then turn them in when it's time to get another .I don't take a penny of my own for a down payment.(my ride is 49 mi each way every day 6 days a week)
I just traded my old Camry 03 with 240,000 on it and in "fair" condition for 3200 on a a new Santa Fe.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I buy the wife a new one,she drives 4 miles to work and four miles back after 5/6 years when it is paid off I take that car and she gets a new one ,again.Happy wife ,happy life. Seriously I get a car with 40/45 thousand on it and then turn them in when it's time to get another .I don't take a penny of my own for a down payment.(my ride is 49 mi each way every day 6 days a week)
I just traded my old Camry 03 with 240,000 on it and in "fair" condition for 3200 on a a new Santa Fe.
OK well you're not buying and replacing the same car every five years. You're buying and replacing every 10 years. You guys buy a new one, she keeps it 5 years, you get it for the next five years, but you're not trading it back in until it reaches 10-12 years old. That makes great financial sense.

That's much different from what my father in law does. He buys a car for himself, then after 5 years of owning and putting 50K miles on it, he trades it in and buys a new one. He does the same thing with his wife's car. So they buy 2 new cars every five years. It's way cheaper to just continually lease than to do what he does.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #25
over the mountain
Playmaker

Ive had the same car for 17 years!! couple hundred miles away from 250k ... then im getting a nused car.

my soft budget is 20k. I want to put 15k down, then stretch 5k over 3 years.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #26
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Ive had the same car for 17 years!! couple hundred miles away from 250k ... then im getting a nused car.

my soft budget is 20k. I want to put 15k down, then stretch 5k over 3 years.
That's about my "budget" when it comes to a car purchase. Whether if I put something down on that $20k purchase or I finance the whole thing (which I hope not to do), that's about my breaking point. Which honestly, gives me a lot of options as far as purchases. If I don't go the Dodge Charger route, I might go with a 6-8 year old Escalade or Yukon. I want a gas guzzling luxury SUV, and those things are just getting broken into at 100,000 miles.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #27
Burgold
Special Teams

I'm just glad that my car runs...06 Toyota Camry.
Burgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 AM   #28
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
That's about my "budget" when it comes to a car purchase. Whether if I put something down on that $20k purchase or I finance the whole thing (which I hope not to do), that's about my breaking point. Which honestly, gives me a lot of options as far as purchases. If I don't go the Dodge Charger route, I might go with a 6-8 year old Escalade or Yukon. I want a gas guzzling luxury SUV, and those things are just getting broken into at 100,000 miles.
Coming in late on this, and maybe it was just because they were both rental, but the Chargers that I drove were the biggest POSs ever. This is coming from someone who owned a Dodge Stratus in high school. Under-powered (unless you're getting a sport package), gas guzzling, garbage man. Again, being lazy and not catching up, see if you can take one overnight. I was extremely underwhelmed.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #29
over the mountain
Playmaker

im test driving a '16 honda accord for a few days .... meh.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #30
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Coming in late on this, and maybe it was just because they were both rental, but the Chargers that I drove were the biggest POSs ever. This is coming from someone who owned a Dodge Stratus in high school. Under-powered (unless you're getting a sport package), gas guzzling, garbage man. Again, being lazy and not catching up, see if you can take one overnight. I was extremely underwhelmed.
I don't think I would be satisfied with the SE trim. I would have to have the R/T. I just felt that the Charger would still be a sedan that I could get the kid in and out easily, while having something with power to it. But, the more I think about it, the more I might need to just lean toward the full size truck or SUV. Because one of these days, I'm going to buy a camper and I'm going to need something to pull it with.