Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Playbook

Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #31
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Parking Lot Posts Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
-What about when you're necessarily evil?
Negative rep points for not being evil to the point that it would be considered excessive and unnecessary.
:FIREdevil

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #32
onlydarksets
Playmaker

How about 2 post counts - one for football forums and one for non-football forums. Of course, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #33
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
How about 2 post counts - one for football forums and one for non-football forums. Of course, I have no idea how difficult that would be to setup.
Why? To what end?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #34
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
I don't really see the need for that quite honestly. As long as you (the collective you) follow the rules and add value to the board when you contribute you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #35
onlydarksets
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Why? To what end?
Just offering a solution to the problem posed. Personally, I don't care.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #36
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Perfect solution. We need someone to write a program that allows users of this site to select whether or not they want any of their individual posts to count towards their total post count. That way the people who just want to be recognized for their insightful, well-reasoned posts can ensure we only notice those. Whereas the Those That Shall Not Be Named crowd can credit themselves for all of their posts and allow their self-esteem to grow, grOW, GROW.

Honestly, I'm totally embarrassed everytime I look at my post count because I definitely realize that after 2 years perhaps 35 of them are decent and credit worthy.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #37
BrudLee
Playmaker

Wink Re: Parking Lot Post Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
A person's value to this board should not be measured by number of posts. If someone wants to be "rewarded" then write strong, well-reasoned posts and you'll probably get positive rep points. And even if you don't, I think we all know who the valuable members of this board are.

But I understand your frustration. You're thinking someone might see you with just a few hundred posts and wonder why they should listen to you, you n00b. But I'm telling you that you needn't worry so much about what others think....just what I think

Seriously though, quality not quantity. I don't mind posts counting, but don't think it's a must.
The number of posts doesn't have any bearing on the poster. Look at it this way - SmootSmack has over 19,000 posts, while I'm under 3,500. Is SmootSmack better than me? Yes, and measurably. But five times better? Not even close.

More upsetting than the Parking Lot posts not counting is that the top-secret moderators-only forum where we make fun of regular people doesn't count. That's not fair to us.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #38
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: Parking Lot Post Should Count in the Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee View Post
The number of posts doesn't have any bearing on the poster. Look at it this way - SmootSmack has over 19,000 posts, while I'm under 3,500. Is SmootSmack better than me? Yes, and measurably. But five times better? Not even close.

More upsetting than the Parking Lot posts not counting is that the top-secret moderators-only forum where we make fun of regular people doesn't count. That's not fair to us.
can we get an behind the forum access to that?

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #39
Lady Brave
The Starter

If post counts truly don't matter to people, then we should never see another milestone thread ever again. If I see a milestone thread, I'm going to assume the number of posts you have means something to you and you're essentially being a hypocrite when you say otherwise. Why should I congratulate you on something you deem to be insignificant? I didn't do a milestone thread when I hit 1000, because first of all, I didn't care and secondly, I didn't see the point in celebrating a year of overall mediocrity on my part.

The nuts and bolts of this argument is not about whether people think post count reflects a member's value to the site. It's about the "earthquake rule" and trying to deter a certain type of posting behavior. I'm just wondering if taking away the counts from the PL actually achieved its desired effect or not. If it didn't, then what's the harm in reinstating them?
Lady Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #40
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post
If post counts truly don't matter to people, then we should never see another milestone thread ever again. If I see a milestone thread, I'm going to assume the number of posts you have means something to you and you're essentially being a hypocrite when you say otherwise. Why should I congratulate you on something you deem to be insignificant? I didn't do a milestone thread when I hit 1000, because first of all, I didn't care and secondly, I didn't see the point in celebrating a year of overall mediocrity on my part.

The nuts and bolts of this argument is not about whether people think post count reflects a member's value to the site. It's about the "earthquake rule" and trying to deter a certain type of posting behavior. I'm just wondering if taking away the counts from the PL actually achieved its desired effect or not. If it didn't, then what's the harm in reinstating them?
I love that the rule is named after me

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #41
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Brave View Post

Good post.

Again I ask, what is the point of keeping track of posts at all? If posts don't matter, then why not get rid of all posts and rep points?
I just don't see why parking lot posts don't count, but posts about Redskins do. Even though this is a "redskins" site, there are plenty here with open minds and people that like to discuss issues other than football. Don't we all reward and enjoy posts that are thoughtful and insightful and enjoy diversity such as female posters / other team fans / other points of views? How come we look for this in the redskins sections, but not in other areas? Also, don't we get a post count for talking about the NBA / NASCAR / NHL or other sports even though this is a Redskins site (not sure if we do, but I thought we did)?
In short, we all come here cause we have 1 thing in common, love of the Redskins. We all have a deeper intellect than just football...why not give incentive to those for sharing that intellect?
Again, every post should count, or no post should count. It doesn't make sense to have some count and some don't. Either way, it doesn't matter to me, I come here cause I love the Skins, and I'll get caught up in some parking lot matters that become fun, but the more people that would come to the parking lot, the more fun and interesting this site would become.