Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offence and Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #61
NorCall11
Camp Scrub

Re: Offence and Alex Smith

i just dont see how alex ( or his wife) think its a great idea to rehab like hell and come back next year. i myself had a gruesome leg injury. i broke my leg at the knee joint 5 years ago. the bottom part of the joint sheered off. i had an external fixator for 3 months and then had the plates installed. it was a long time before i could even start rehab. i feel pretty good now on most days. im 36. like i said i feel bad for him. but with his break i think he will be ok long term. clean break like that (from what i saw) dosnt usually hurt ligaments or tendons. alot of the redskin fans wanted to see what we have in colt. here we go. im an alex fan and i want to see him play again... but i just dont see it.
NorCall11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #62
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalskins View Post
I'd like to know the same thing. What if he's forced into retirement due to injury? What does that mean for the team in terms of the money? At least one thing we can take solace in, if the 'skins found a great QB in the draft, they have a lot of players playing on rookie contracts. It might be that by the time they have to offer "real" contracts to the likes of Allen, Guice, or Payne, any effect from the Alex Smith deal would be null.

Call me crazy, but I believe the 'skins have a lot of pieces in place.
71 million is injury guaranteed. I think that means we'd be fucked if he's forced out via injury.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #63
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
71 million is injury guaranteed. I think that means we'd be fucked if he's forced out via injury.
Does that $ count against the salary cap if he decides to hang it up? Not that he will, just curious how that works. Anyone know?
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:45 AM   #64
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Does that $ count against the salary cap if he decides to hang it up? Not that he will, just curious how that works. Anyone know?
Probably not if he retires. If doctors tell him not to play that might be a different story.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #65
MTK
\m/

There's no special injury or retirement provisions with the cap. If he retires we would take a $20M cap hit next year and have $42M in dead cap. Not good. The contact was set up for a potential out after year 3. So if he retires before then, again, not good.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washingt...ex-smith-3337/
Old 11-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #66
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

So basically we're married to a qb who will be 35 next year, coming off a terrible injury that will decrease his mobility (a key element of his game) and will also be coming off one of his worst statistical seasons in years.

TL;DR: There is no path that doesn't suck.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #67
MTK
\m/

If anyone wants a clear answer as to whether he's going to retire or not, his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed as long as he's on the roster the 5th day of the new league year in 2019 (mid March or so). He's not retiring.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #68
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If anyone wants a clear answer as to whether he's going to retire or not, his 2020 salary becomes fully guaranteed as long as he's on the roster the 5th day of the new league year in 2019 (mid March or so). He's not retiring.
I got 20 on them drafting a qb next year (provided Gruden doesn't flame out and get bounced at the end of the year) not only as an insurance policy for Smith but to shore up the position long term.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #69
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
So basically we're married to a qb who will be 35 next year, coming off a terrible injury that will decrease his mobility (a key element of his game) and will also be coming off one of his worst statistical seasons in years.

TL;DR: There is no path that doesn't suck.

It was a terrible deal to begin with...a Bruce and Danny special. But Bruce shouldn't just fired for this decisions, but there is simply zero excuse for not having a young, developmental QB on the roster for years.

Now this fucking contract will eat up space for a couple years, continuing to fuck us.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #70
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I got 20 on them drafting a qb next year (provided Gruden doesn't flame out and get bounced at the end of the year) not only as an insurance policy for Smith but to shore up the position long term.
Considering Colt looks like an accident waiting for a place to happen, I think the Redskins should draft two QBs next year.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #71
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
There's no special injury or retirement provisions with the cap. If he retires we would take a $20M cap hit next year and have $42M in dead cap. Not good. The contact was set up for a potential out after year 3. So if he retires before then, again, not good.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washingt...ex-smith-3337/
IF Alex Smith eventually retires early..... I guess some of the young, soon to be Free Agents we were planning on re-signing are now out of reach. This changes our future. I think the NFL should have some kind of cap exemption for career ending injury, death and player misconduct/suspensions.
The cap is becoming something nobody wanted, which is elite teams get broken up. Elite teams can now only stay together a few years. We now have a lot of teams with holes in their line up. The amount of elite teams are fewer and fewer each year.
All because some small market teams are cheap and/or cannot spend. There needs to be a way to keep good teams together if a player and team want to stay together. The player should not be forced to take less to stay with their team. A team that is making money hand over fist.
THE SALARY CAP SUCKS!
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #72
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think AS stays on the roster for the first 5 days, then goes ahead and retires Jun 1st.

Because the injury guarantees kick in, we end up having 2 years of 23M dead cap. We also will have to re-work Colt's salary because he can void the 2nd year of his contract based on playing time details.

Definitely need to take a rookie this year, but that really puts us right back in the never ending cycle, because the one position this FO can't pick is QB...
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #73
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I think AS stays on the roster for the first 5 days, then goes ahead and retires Jun 1st.

Because the injury guarantees kick in, we end up having 2 years of 23M dead cap. We also will have to re-work Colt's salary because he can void the 2nd year of his contract based on playing time details.

Definitely need to take a rookie this year, but that really puts us right back in the never ending cycle, because the one position this FO can't pick is QB...
It's likely 6 months before he can resume running... so retiring in June puts him 7 months post injury. He won't even know what he's capable of yet at that time. Unless his leg is just completely ruined and the doctors say yeah no way, I don't know why he would be so quick to make a decision.

Let's let this thing play out a while before we toss dirt on him. He very well could be back for training camp, maybe start out on PUP. I've seen a few sports docs on Twitter suggest this same thing.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #74
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
It's likely 6 months before he can resume running... so retiring in June puts him 7 months post injury. He won't even know what he's capable of yet at that time. Unless his leg is just completely ruined and the doctors say yeah no way, I don't know why he would be so quick to make a decision.

Let's let this thing play out a while before we toss dirt on him. He very well could be back for training camp, maybe start out on PUP. I've seen a few sports docs on Twitter suggest this same thing.
How about his mental state after such a horrific injury? He was already jittery, what would he be like if he recovers?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #75
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
How about his mental state after such a horrific injury? He was already jittery, what would he be like if he recovers?
Most are saying he will def miss up to a full year, so we are looking at midway through 2019, I don't see why we won't go after a new starter next season.